TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Wycombe - comment on game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The only chance for the rest of the season is all out attack. There is nothing to lose. Will Cowley realise this and will he do it? I suspect I'm in for a disappointing, defensive afternoon, tomorrow.
(18-03-2022, 02:03 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]The only chance for the rest of the season is all out attack. There is nothing to lose. Will Cowley realise this and will he do it? I suspect I'm in for a disappointing, defensive afternoon, tomorrow.

True, but that was the case against Ipswich and Plymouth.

We didn’t do it then, so I have no confidence that we will do it against Wycombe.

I hope I’m wrong about that.
I actually think we will tomorrow but I don’t think we will do it consistently for the remainder of the season.
Probably wait until we are 1-0 down and then really go for it as with Charlton and Plymouth.

Be nice if the lads could actually work their goalkeeper, umpteen shots but none on target is next to useless. Similarly, create some really dangerous dead ball situations in the opposition penalty area instead of the generally lackadaisical stuff that’s been the case in recent games.

Draw is of no use to Pompey, Cowley needs to make sure home advantage really counts and we win, preferably win well.

Don’t fancy having to get maximum points from the two games after Wycombe and the last two of the season to get a playoff place.

Once we are past Rotherham we have four games in a row we should win, the important thing is still to be in with a real chance after Rotherham - and that starts tomorrow and the hope that others slip-up.
Tomorrow :

Rotherham v Shrews
Crewe v Bolton
Oxford v Ipswich
Plymouth v Accy
Lincoln v Sunderland
Wigan v Morecambe
Gills v Sheffield Wed
Cambridge v MK D

A draw between Oxford and Ipswich might be good but I don’t see too many of our rivals slipping up (and, in fact, it seems difficult to dispute that the current top three are either guaranteed the Autos or a playoff place so the rest of us are disputing three places).

A couple of strugglers may do us a favour of course but first we need to win…..which I think we will.
umpteen shots. Crucially how many are from inside the penalty area or even better the 6 yard box?
Those are the ones that count.
(18-03-2022, 02:24 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-03-2022, 02:03 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]The only chance for the rest of the season is all out attack. There is nothing to lose. Will Cowley realise this and will he do it? I suspect I'm in for a disappointing, defensive afternoon, tomorrow.

True, but that was the case against Ipswich and Plymouth.

We didn’t do it then, so I have no confidence that we will do it against Wycombe.

I hope I’m wrong about that.

True Ex but let's hope that was just the away mentality of playing for a draw & hoping to nick a win on a breakaway.
(18-03-2022, 03:40 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Tomorrow :

Rotherham v Shrews
Crewe v Bolton
Oxford v Ipswich
Plymouth v Accy
Lincoln v Sunderland
Wigan v Morecambe
Gills v Sheffield Wed
Cambridge v MK D

A draw between Oxford and Ipswich might be good but I don’t see too many of our rivals slipping up (and, in fact, it seems difficult to dispute that the current top three are either guaranteed the Autos or a playoff place so the rest of us are disputing three places).

A couple of strugglers may do us a favour of course but first we need to win…..which I think we will.

Oxford v Ipswich has dreaw written all over it.
I'm hoping Accy can get a draw at Plymouth.
Lincoln & JM could do us a big favour & beat the Mackems.
Also, Cambridge getting at least 1 point against MKD.
Rotherham, Bolton, Wigan all look like nailed on Wins.
How badly do Wycombe need a win? I think they can get by with a draw so I expect it to be an excruciating game. Many many times whe have fallen short when needing a goal. Lest hope we can bundle one in early doors and make the game interesting.
(18-03-2022, 03:20 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Probably wait until we are 1-0 down and then really go for it as with Charlton and Plymouth.

Be nice if the lads could actually work their goalkeeper, umpteen shots but none on target is next to useless. Similarly, create some really dangerous dead ball situations in the opposition penalty area instead of the generally lackadaisical stuff that’s been the case in recent games.

Draw is of no use to Pompey, Cowley needs to make sure home advantage really counts and we win, preferably win well.

Don’t fancy having to get maximum points from the two games after Wycombe and the last two of the season to get a playoff place.

Once we are past Rotherham we have four games in a row we should win, the important thing is still to be in with a real chance after Rotherham - and that starts tomorrow and the hope that others slip-up.

You do know that Rotherham is now 12th April
and Bolton is 5th April.

The guys will be totally knackered well before Sheffield W
Indeed as Isaac says 8 games starting at Bolton 5th April and ending at Wednesday 30th April.
Hope we win and it’s a decent game. It’s my last one of the season
(19-03-2022, 08:48 AM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-03-2022, 03:20 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Probably wait until we are 1-0 down and then really go for it as with Charlton and Plymouth.

You do know that Rotherham is now 12th April
and Bolton is 5th April.

The guys will be totally knackered well before Sheffield W

They have a couple of weeks rest to prepare them for the final run in.
Too much rest and they will be knackered by the time they run on the pitch.
All academic if they don't pull their finger out today
All academic anyway
Absolute bilge
Baz deservedly M.O.M. Words fail me for the majority of the remainder. Another 97 mins without a single shot on target. Did well to keep a clean sheet but I still can't believe that Ref waved play on when Hirst was dragged back. That led to both the Cowleys getting a yellow and for that and that alone my sympathy is with them
Bilge is a good word, rarely used, but sums up today's performance.
I've never smelt bilge water but believe it stunk. Like our attack far too often.
(19-03-2022, 07:42 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I've never smelt bilge water but believe it stunk. Like our attack far too often.

To go two whole games without testing the keeper is unbelievable.

Players by their nature want to attack, so it has to be the instructions they are given.

The Cowleys spend too much time on the laptop, complicating what is actually a simple game.

We get everyone behind the ball when the opposition has a free kick. Why ffs?

All it does is encourage all the opposing players to come forward and reduce the options when clearing the ball.

Please god give us an attacking manager, we have had a gut full of these white board clowns.
(19-03-2022, 09:11 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(19-03-2022, 07:42 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]I've never smelt bilge water but believe it stunk. Like our attack far too often.

To go two whole games without testing the keeper is unbelievable.

Players by their nature want to attack, so it has to be the instructions they are given.

The Cowleys spend too much time on the laptop, complicating what is actually a simple game.

We get everyone behind the ball when the opposition has a free kick. Why ffs?

All it does is encourage all the opposing players to come forward and reduce the options when clearing the ball.

Please god give us an attacking manager, we have had a gut full of these white board clowns.

Agree,the cowleys seem to complicate a simple game,gave up listening to there post match comments but no doubt we had too many false number 9's playing
On its own, a draw against Wycombe is not so bad.
But from what we read we are spending more on wages and we are definitely not seeing a return on that. I would totally agree with the "over complicated" comment.
Our best achieving managers down the years have all set up to attack, kept it simple and had a captain who would change things on the pitch if needed. Our worst have always been scientific types in my lifetime as a supporter.
AB, Harry, Jim, Bobby, Frank: keep it simple, attack, get the crowd going.
Gregory, Pulis, Fenwick: over complicated bore the crowd to death (and Cook was in that list until the player revolt for the run in)
The hamster was sort of neither but with hindsight seemed to get value for money from his squad, scored a lot of goals, weirdly it was still tedious.
(20-03-2022, 08:42 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]On its own, a draw against Wycombe is not so bad.
But from what we read we are spending more on wages and we are definitely not seeing a return on that. I would totally agree with the "over complicated" comment.
Our best achieving managers down the years have all set up to attack, kept it simple and had a captain who would change things on the pitch if needed. Our worst have always been scientific types in my lifetime as a supporter.
AB, Harry, Jim, Bobby, Frank: keep it simple, attack, get the crowd going.
Gregory, Pulis, Fenwick: over complicated bore the crowd to death (and Cook was in that list until the player revolt for the run in)
The hamster was sort of neither but with hindsight seemed to get value for money from his squad, scored a lot of goals, weirdly it was still tedious.

Very well summed up mush.

Football is a very simple game and should be played on the pitch, not on an iPad or a white board.

Going to Fratton is supposed to be a joyous, atmospheric experience. We should attack and let the other team worry about us. I don’t think I can ever remember a Pompey team that failed to test the opposition keeper once in 180 minutes of football. 

Instead of trying to shift the blame onto the referee (who was totally incompetent admittedly), Cowley should be looking at his tactics and game plan. This is down to him, no doubt about it.
The dumps I splatter the toilet bowl with the morning after curry night tend to have a more appealing hue to them than their away shirt.

That's my comment on the Wycombe game.
Pages: 1 2