TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Team Today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Total waste of a Saturday afternoon. Nothing positive to take out of the game apart from another defeat preventing performance by Bazunu.
Bring on the nippers for the remaining games.............please
I think we can safely say forget the play offs now.

We're basically Not good enough still.

Finish the ground, sort out the academy & decent Championship standard signings & try to keep some loans.

Manager & Owner the jury's still out at present.
Bitterly disappointing result and a poor, poor performance as well.

Wycombe could/should have got a Red but Wycombe going down to 10 was the only way Pompey could have won this game.

Baz as MoM says it all, can’t remember a Pompey shot on goal (but my interest began to fail as we continually gave the ball away).

We seemed to lose every 50/50 ball, a real lack of fighting spirit from our team, obviously it was a bigger game in the Pompey fan’s hearts than it was the player’s.

Cowley completely done by Ainsworth, Danny knew how Wycombe would play (and they didn’t change a bit) but didn’t have a clue how to win the game.

Gutting !
Seeing Walker chosen ahead of Obrien was enough for me. No game midweek to worry about saving energy for. This should have been a full on assault with nothing being left in the tank. Too slow in the build-up on the flanks yet again. We allow the oppo to reorganise too often. And I've not seen a more blatant red card against us for a while. Another ref out of his depth. Where do they get them from?
(19-03-2022, 05:13 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]Seeing Walker chosen ahead of Obrien was enough for me.  No game midweek to worry about saving energy for.  This should have been a full on assault with nothing being left in the tank.  Too slow in the build-up on the flanks yet again.  We allow the oppo to reorganise too often.  And I've not seen a more blatant red card against us for a while.  Another ref out of his depth.  Where do they get them from?
I`m done with it now.
Sooner this season is over the better. DC said he needed 3 transfer windows to sort the squad. Well it’s knocking at the door of FP and I wouldn’t presume to speculate how he’s going to deliver on that commitment. Anyone braver than me prepared to speculate where he goes from here to deliver a squad capable of sustaining a genuine promotion challenge?
(19-03-2022, 05:24 PM)blueinbrum3 Wrote: [ -> ]Sooner this season is over the better. DC said he needed 3 transfer windows to sort the squad. Well it’s knocking at the door of FP and I wouldn’t presume to speculate how he’s going to deliver on that commitment. Anyone braver than me prepared to speculate where he goes from here to deliver a squad capable of sustaining a genuine promotion challenge?

He can’t and he won’t. He’s out of his depth, get shot now and save the money because the new manager will want to bring in his own players in January.

I never wanted him, thought he failed his task last season and hasn’t done anything to prove himself.

I just don’t see anything from him that suggests he can get us out of this division.
So that looks like that's it then. Season over. At least we have a good squad for next year... erm...
My scores
Baz 7
Hirst 6
The rest 5
Absolute shite, not even a shot on target at the FE end. Rubbish , if anyone out there is deluded we are no more and no better than a div 3 (L1) team.
They had all the same songs as us. Key words different obviously.

Lots of bluster on the pitch but no end product. Thanks to Baz mostly.
I have little, if any, faith in Cowley getting us promoted next season, his TWs thus far have brought us a ragbag of players and those who have left us haven’t been adequately replaced. I don’t expect to see any difference in this summers activity.

As I said on another thread, Pompey, under Cowley, look good against poor sides and poor against good sides, nothing Cowley has done or said convinces me that next season will be any improvement.

PS 
Akinfemwa ! 40 next birthday ! Trundling on !
I’m not sure what hold Akinfemwa has over Wycombe but it’s embarrassing for a man of his physique, fitness etc to being played and paid as a L1 footballer
(19-03-2022, 06:16 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I’m not sure what hold Akinfemwa has over Wycombe but it’s embarrassing for a man of his physique, fitness etc to being played and paid as a L1 footballer

It's definitely a quirky club.  Ainsworth looks like the Hunted Man, who has just stumbled upon a suit.
To think we never tested their goalie out in 97 minutes makes my blood boil.
(19-03-2022, 05:51 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]So that looks like that's it then. Season over. At least we have a good squad for next year... erm...

It was over in January
(19-03-2022, 06:28 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]To think we never tested their goalie out in 97 minutes makes my blood boil.

Pretty sure it’s not the first time this season.
(19-03-2022, 06:45 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(19-03-2022, 05:51 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]So that looks like that's it then. Season over. At least we have a good squad for next year... erm...

It was over in January

No, relegation was still a possibility then.
(19-03-2022, 06:46 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(19-03-2022, 06:28 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]To think we never tested their goalie out in 97 minutes makes my blood boil.

Pretty sure it’s not the first time this season.

I'm sure you are right but having admitted and identified the problem at Plymouth, they managed to do the same again at home. I was never a fan of the Cowleys and tbh I'm even less of one now  Sad
No surprise the Fe was so quiet today also
Baz 9 Rag 7 Hirst 7 after that.... Mr Invisible completed another anonymous hour as a striker. Ogilvie was asked to play wing back.. crazy. Morrell dropped? He only just finished a 3 match suspension, he can't be knackered again already. Ah well, it's been a poor season with no progress at all and DC has to rebuild from almost nothing in his 'final' transfer window.
Akinfenwe being criticised for being payed as a pro footballer. I bet he is on a tiny fraction of Walker's wages.
Wider.
Relying on loans that we will not sign only suggests another mediocre season, hopefully I will be proved wrong but we don't appear to be permanently signing many players who will improve season on season.
(19-03-2022, 05:07 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]I think we can safely say forget the play offs now.

We're basically Not good enough still.

Finish the ground, sort out the academy & decent Championship standard signings & try to keep some loans.

Manager & Owner the jury's still out at present.

A true optimist and some!
(19-03-2022, 04:59 PM)blueinbrum3 Wrote: [ -> ]Total waste of a Saturday afternoon. Nothing positive to take out of the game apart from another defeat preventing performance by Bazunu.

Surprised nobody has raised this before but as anyone though exactly where we'd be in this league without Buzunu?
I think that the type of criticism of Cowley on social media is a little harsh.
Sure he's made mistakes and continues to make mistakes from a tactical perspective but at the start of the season he had to watch as several of our better players, including he best central defender in the league, walk out the door for nothing at all...something that he had no influence over whatsoever.
Then he had to build a virtually new squad in a matter of weeks without being able to spend virtuallyany kind of fee, at that time an anathema to the Eisners, and paying low wages that meant we struggled to compete even with little clubs in the league that survive on gates of less than ten thousand.
We were then were forced belatedly to spend money on the likes of Morrell and complicated expensive loan deals such as Hirst.
Finally he was told in January that there was no money unless he managed to unload the under acheiving high earners at the club. Incredibly this was done and then he was let down again in terms of the quality/number of new players he was allowed to bring in.
Of course, we continually have to listen to the argument of what might have happened during the Covid period if the Eisners hadn't allegedly put thousnds into the club to keep us afloat. We must be eternally grateful otherwise we could have gone bust like numerous clubs in the EFL...I can't remember how many was that? Oh yeah, precisely none!
Pages: 1 2 3