TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: The Ukraine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
along with Iran and USA in England's group then.
Hopefully
Its just Ukraine. 'The' Ukraine was a Russian neologism to make an independent country sound like one of their regions.
Iran v USA in an Arab country, what could possibly go wrong?
It'll be hilarious to be on the internet if Iran win that one. American meltdown incoming, with their usual good grace and calm, measured attitude to defeat.
(01-04-2022, 08:06 PM)PompeyDB Wrote: [ -> ]It'll be hilarious to be on the internet if Iran win that one. American meltdown incoming, with their usual good grace and calm, measured attitude to defeat.

I don’t think Americans really give a sh1t. Different if it were baseball
I hope its Scotland as the jocks will make some entertaining headlines. My inlaws are also glaswegian so adds a little extra spice
(01-04-2022, 08:06 PM)PompeyDB Wrote: [ -> ]It'll be hilarious to be on the internet if Iran win that one. American meltdown incoming, with their usual good grace and calm, measured attitude to defeat.

Iran beat the USA during the 1998 World Cup in Lyon, France.
This has to be the easiest group I have ever known England to be in. Absolutely no excuse to not top it.
And if we do finish top, we'd probably meet either Ecuador or Senegal in the next round.
But then probably France in the quarter finals.
(01-04-2022, 07:18 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: [ -> ]Its just Ukraine. 'The' Ukraine was a Russian neologism to make an independent country sound like one of their regions.

Just to point out that Russian does not use definite or indefinite articles, so they don't really have control over how anglophone countries designate it.  Of course it didn't much matter when Ukraine was part of the Soviet Union.
Or when it was a separate country before the Soviet Union