TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Now that the seasons over
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Can we crack on with signing Ben Thompson please  Big Grin
Probably have to wait for Gills to go down first.
Then we can get Awfs in, get a proper youth system going and even work out how to bring through the 20+ age group.
Thompson for king!
This season has been the biggest anti-climax I can remember. Nothing to play for with a hat-full of games still to go. If we don't reverse this decline, I think next season could be different though. We'll still be needing points to avoid the drop.
This season isn't over.

Plenty of games to watch still and, hopefully, some entertaining performances to come.

If it's only promotion or the chance of getting into the playoffs that interests you, you're probably going to be bitterly disappointed most seasons.
(09-04-2022, 10:57 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]This season isn't over.

Plenty of games to watch still and, hopefully, some entertaining performances to come.

If it's only promotion or the chance of getting into the playoffs that interests you, you're probably going to be bitterly disappointed most seasons.

Entertaining performances?! We’ve had a handful this season.

we have had very very few mid table finishes that I can remember. Although most of the enticement was last day escapes!

Fcuk me! We're turning into scummers!
At least we don't walk out after 20 minutes.

Are you on the sauce Cunning?
(09-04-2022, 04:54 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]At least we don't walk out after 20 minutes.

I know some that do
This season has been over for a long time. Gutless players and coaches who have no idea what their best team or system is. Mid table finishes happen but dross week after week shouldn’t. Nor should we have a squad with no contracted strikers and most of our decent players on loan.
I thought the Cowleys would be a good appointment but unfortunately I think they’ve proved me wrong . We need to get back to basics , sort out the playing side from the youth upwards. You can only eat what you kill if you have decent or significant tools to do that. It’s a disgrace we don’t own a single striker and we need to stop signing players with histories of injuries or gambling on young players from other clubs who obviously aren’t going to make it at their parent club ie; Hirst & Walker.
(10-04-2022, 07:32 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I thought the Cowleys would be a good appointment but unfortunately I think they’ve proved me wrong . We need to get back to basics , sort out the playing side from the youth upwards. You can only eat what you kill if you have decent or significant tools to do that. It’s a disgrace we don’t own a single striker and we need to stop signing players with histories of injuries or gambling on young players from other clubs who obviously aren’t going to make it at their parent club ie; Hirst & Walker.

Walker does not fit that description ... he is 25 with 200 league games under his belt, 95 of them in the Championship. His failure, and that of Marquis before him this season, are for me the biggest reason we have failed this season. They both should have done so much better and I blame the players rather than the manager for that, because in both cases it seems to be a question of attitude rather than ability.  Cowley must feel very let down by Walker, especially as he did so well under him before.
Cowleys must feel let down!!!! I’m feckin raging, he’s shit . 200 games or not
It’s Walker’s lack of effort that really gets me, something which can’t really be aimed at Marquis. We’ve really been let down by our crossing, corners and free kicks. Curtis, Harness, Tunnicliffe and even Jacobs have been incapable of delivering more than about 1 good cross in 5. With Walker I would love to see those Premier type stats of how far he runs, how fast, headers won, tackles won, dribbles won etc. I’m sure it would make really depressing reading. Hirst is no Messi but he certainly makes things happen and puts in 100% effort all game every game. For that reason alone yesterday, playing Walker (all game!) instead of Hirst I cannot trust Cowley’s judgement again. As someone else has said he had several months to build a squad and yet we seem to have less players of our own than ever. Please can we get in a manager who can get his players behind him and start bringing back some hope and expectation to the supporters.
I won’t be re-newing my season ticket next season … couldn’t give a shit about promotion, I just want to watch a team that are well organised, committed to the cause / shirt and hopefully entertaining … which despite Cowley’s continual claims to the contrary, isn’t the case.

The fact that the team will almost totally be re-designed / re-structured - given the number of loans and out of contracts we have - just makes it feel like Groundhog Day again
(10-04-2022, 09:06 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-04-2022, 07:32 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I thought the Cowleys would be a good appointment but unfortunately I think they’ve proved me wrong . We need to get back to basics , sort out the playing side from the youth upwards. You can only eat what you kill if you have decent or significant tools to do that. It’s a disgrace we don’t own a single striker and we need to stop signing players with histories of injuries or gambling on young players from other clubs who obviously aren’t going to make it at their parent club ie; Hirst & Walker.

Walker does not fit that description ... he is 25 with 200 league games under his belt, 95 of them in the Championship. His failure, and that of Marquis before him this season, are for me the biggest reason we have failed this season. They both should have done so much better and I blame the players rather than the manager for that, because in both cases it seems to be a question of attitude rather than ability.  Cowley must feel very let down by Walker, especially as he did so well under him before.

He feels so let down he continues to play him so he can let him down again and again.
Bring in Whitts as striker coach, consultant.
Bring in Awfs to run the academy.
Proper Pompey
(10-04-2022, 02:35 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]Bring in Whitts as striker coach, consultant.
Proper Pompey
That would do me.

Most of all we need a manager who understands our type of fan base and professional football and is not overly scientific.
The usual argument against changing manager is that you then have to start again with the playing squad. As we have so few players on contract that is not really a problem right now. 

We need a southern based manager (or Youth manager) who knows southern players and has some contacts with London area youth set ups. Or even South Midlands. (Awfs??). Too many modern northern players can't settle down here. 

While the rest of the club is being rebuilt its the right time to scrap the teachers and their ipads.
(09-04-2022, 05:05 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]

Are you on the sauce Cunning?

I’m tempted to celebrate watching last nights performance.

Roll on watching the Sheffield Wednesday game. We’ve got nothing to lose, soir should be a cracker. 

Season isn’t over!

Deebo

Well, you were bang on the money. The game of the season for me. A wonderful atmos and great performance. Every player had either a good or great game. “That's entertainment, that's entertainment!”
(10-04-2022, 09:28 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-04-2022, 02:35 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]Bring in Whitts as striker coach, consultant.
Proper Pompey
That would do me.

Most of all we need a manager who understands our type of fan base and professional football and is not overly scientific.
The usual argument against changing manager is that you then have to start again with the playing squad. As we have so few players on contract that is not really a problem right now. 

We need a southern based manager (or Youth manager) who knows southern players and has some contacts with London area youth set ups. Or even South Midlands. (Awfs??). Too many modern northern players can't settle down here. 

While the rest of the club is being rebuilt its the right time to scrap the teachers and their ipads.
Erm John Terry
“Erm John Terry” Nooooooo.

…but Jody Morris. He’s already had ‘discussions’ with three or four clubs. Did good things with FatFrank at Chelsea during that season when they couldn’t make any signings, knows all the Chelsea kids, has a bit of aggression - all positive Smile - about him and he’s local enough. I think he’s a good fit.
(27-04-2022, 06:46 AM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: [ -> ]“Erm John Terry” Nooooooo.

…but Jody Morris. He’s already had ‘discussions’ with three or four clubs. Did good things with FatFrank at Chelsea during that season when they couldn’t make any signings, knows all the Chelsea kids, has a bit of aggression - all positive Smile - about him and he’s local enough. I think he’s a good fit.

I'd agree with that as he has good management experience at Chelsea. He knows all the Chelsea youngsters so will know which ones will fit in.
So, next year's management. How about those Cowley brothers?

I know it takes time for new management to settle in, so we could risk losing the benefit of hitting the ground running, but they've done well elsewhere in the past and I think they might have a bit of knowledge on Pompey, our players, the club etc? No idea why. 

But we wouldn't want any modern thinking would we -they have tablets and laptops and all that rubbish - best just stick with pen and paper because technology might upset people. 
Pages: 1 2