TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Cheltenham game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
(09-04-2022, 01:42 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Being pedantic we were formed in 1898 and were not in the first division until the 1927 season so we've got a way to go to beat that 28 year spell. 

I was looking for something to cheer me up today and that post, DeepBlue, has certainly given me the second biggest laugh. Sorry but no cigar this time as Mason Mount burying Scummers in the PL takes the ticket.
Subs early 2nd half Hirst & Jacobs.

One goal could win this let's hope Pompey get it!
(09-04-2022, 01:42 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Being pedantic we were formed in 1898 and were not in the first division until the 1927 season so we've got a way to go to beat that 28 year spell. 

Another way of looking at it is that we were essentially a start up club in the 2013-2014 season with no players and significant debt and only the fans with very little money as owners.  We were debt free within 18 months, won the league 2 championship and were seriously challenging for promotion back to the championship in the 2017-2018 season, quite an achievement. But have stalled since albeit whilst remaining in the top half in the playoffs, or nearly in the playoffs, since. 

It's not a brilliant 8 year record but it is not awful either. 

Yes, its worrying that we have become more average in the past two seasons but I'd be far more worried if the infrastructure was not being sorted out and I repeat, you should be able to enjoy watching your team play win, lose or draw.

Makes a change for you to be pedantic
We are getting dominated now. This is depressing. Looks like they've run out of ideas
Have to say a mid table finish in this league is verging on bad times. Cowley should be pretty embarrassed by this season IMO. To be worse than under Jacket is no mean achievement. He ditched KJ dross and brought in his own dross. He has til Xmas or he’s out the door. Too much to expect us to score against a team that had let in 71 goals.
(09-04-2022, 03:55 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Have to say a mid table finish in this league is verging on bad times. Cowley should be pretty embarrassed by this season IMO. To be worse than under Jacket is no mean achievement. He ditched KJ dross and brought in his own dross. He has til Xmas or he’s out the door. Too much to expect us to score against a team that had let in 71 goals.

It is bad times, we’ve never been in the play off picture
This job's too big for you......
I can see what the Eisner's are doing but I'm living life as a pompey fan. And it's shit!
We ran out of ideas as we have all year because we are just not good enough. In fact we are quite bad and have in my opinion, an inflated place in this league.
I'm disappointed, angry and mystified.
When we sold the club we thought we were getting a better existence for the club.
I'm not sure we did get value. Even the ground updates are actually naff!
As for the playing side, true Barker had a worse side but this team is hobbled together with loans in key positions, over the hill senior pros on one last pay and overhyped superstars that are not anything other than overhyped. All of them managed by the first manager I can remember to make us average in everyway
Can't wait for next season!
WALOB
Talking next season, I wonder how many ST holders are going to swap for a membership. There seems absolutely nothing to encourage fans to sign up again other than loyalty and being long suffering.
Just piss off Cowley, I really have had enough of you.
(09-04-2022, 04:31 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]I can see what the Eisner's are doing but I'm living life as a pompey fan. And it's shit!
We ran out of ideas as we have all year because we are just not good enough. In fact we are quite bad and have in my opinion, an inflated place in this league.
I'm disappointed, angry and mystified.
When we sold the club we thought we were getting a better existence for the club.
I'm not sure we did get value. Even the ground updates are actually naff!
As for the playing side, true Barker had a worse side but this team is hobbled together with loans in key positions, over the hill senior pros on one last pay and overhyped superstars that are not anything other than overhyped. All of them managed by the first manager I can remember to make us average in everyway
Can't wait for next season!
WALOB

We’ve got a superstar in the team?!!
at least one who thinks he is, too good for us, too good for this league, nice pay can't be arsed. I should be in the Prem by now.
A little of what was said by Cowley afterwards...........Having been booed off by their 1,423 travelling supporters after the game, Cowley admits that the second half showing from his side was way off they levels that they should be performing at.
“Unacceptable, not good enough,” said Cowley. “I thought first half, we had a good place in the game. I thought we turned them over probably into double figures, lacked the quality to find the all-important first goal.
“Probably here, on a very tight pitch, the first goal is important. Second half, I thought we were short in every area of our performance. That is really hard to take.
“We stopped doing the basics, pre-requisites that you need to play well and ultimately, when you come away to a tough place like Cheltenham, you have to win duels, you have to out run, you have to out right and you have out fight. “We stopped doing the basics and we lacked so much quality I thought. In particularly in the final third was well short.” ..............Can't be assed to go Tuesday evening, if they aren't bothered why should we ?
Same old then
“a tough place like Cheltenham”
Sounds like an oxymoron, but then we’ve won 6 away league games all season.
Sky mentioned only 1 of those 6 has been to a top half team, Wycombe.
Cheltenham the 3rd worst defence in the league and we didn't even trouble them. P*ss poor.
Northstander

You mind your Ps&Qs or Deepblue will question as to whether you are a real fan.

Best you turn up on Tuesday and, after all, Rotherham are in the middle of a run where they can’t see where the next point is coming from so the game against an equally hapless Pompey may turn out to be the sort of classic that fans will talk about until, well, Wednesday.

I’ll probably watch paint drying…..although even that’s not what it used to be (probably something to do with removing the lead).
(09-04-2022, 07:06 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Northstander

You mind your Ps&Qs or Deepblue will question as to whether you are a real fan.

Best you turn up on Tuesday and, after all, Rotherham are in the middle of a run where they can’t see where the next point is coming from so the game against an equally hapless Pompey may turn out to be the sort of classic that fans will talk about until, well, Wednesday.

I’ll probably watch paint drying…..although even that’s not what it used to be (probably something to do with removing the lead).

Rotherham will batter us.
I wasn't too upset by the end of our run in the prem, cos I feared a longer stay would create an entitled fanbase. But, where we do belong, in my opinion, is in the second tier. And we don't look like getting there anytime soon. I get the priority of developping the ground and cutting the playing budget. But, I don't get the point of letting decent players go because they're too expensive, then ending up with worse players and a bigger wage bill. Or, the failure to even attempt to develop any of our young players into pros who can compete at this very modest level.
(09-04-2022, 08:19 PM)Kingo Wrote: [ -> ]I wasn't too upset by the end of our run in the prem, cos I feared a longer stay would create an entitled fanbase. But, where we do belong, in my opinion, is in the second tier. And we don't look like getting there anytime soon. I get the priority of developping the ground and cutting the playing budget. But, I don't get the point of letting decent players go because they're too expensive, then ending up with worse players and a bigger wage bill. Or, the failure to even attempt to develop any of our young players into pros who can compete at this very modest level.

The playing budget has been increased year on year! There’s been no cuts just poorly used funds. DC could have had 2 players for what we are paying Walker
I have been sent an instagram post from yesterday of the Pompey fans singing “ What the f*cking hell was that, what the fu*cking hell was that” at the end of the game.

Clearly shot from the Pompey crowd.

Of course, Deep will tell you they can’t be real fans because real Pompey fans accept whatever sh*t the owners, management and players choose to serve up.

Any empathetic Owner/ manager / player set-up would re-imbursd all 1,425 fans who sold out one end of the ground and were treated to a Cowley Special pile of dung.

But they won’t !

This is Pompey Lite
Yes, if you watch fournilwrittenalloverit on YouTube, they also cover it rather well.

https://youtu.be/HFG8HXblxfY

It should be a wakeup call for the players, as previously the away support has been pretty much cheer them off the pitch, whatever the result. It was only the home games where they came in for audible stick from the crowd.

Now that the more patient away fans are coming to the end of their fuzes, it should signal how badly their performances have fallen below expectation.
(09-04-2022, 05:32 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]A little of what was said by Cowley afterwards...........Having been booed off by their 1,423 travelling supporters after the game, Cowley admits that the second half showing from his side was way off they levels that they should be performing at.
“Unacceptable, not good enough,” said Cowley. “I thought first half, we had a good place in the game. I thought we turned them over probably into double figures, lacked the quality to find the all-important first goal.
“Probably here, on a very tight pitch, the first goal is important. Second half, I thought we were short in every area of our performance. That is really hard to take.
“We stopped doing the basics, pre-requisites that you need to play well and ultimately, when you come away to a tough place like Cheltenham, you have to win duels, you have to out run, you have to out right and you have out fight. “We stopped doing the basics and we lacked so much quality I thought. In particularly in the final third was well short.” ..............Can't be assed to go Tuesday evening, if they aren't bothered why should we ?
If a stalwart like you is saying these things, then things really are bad
Thanks for that Pedalo, I had only seen the singing of “WTF hell was that” (sent to me by me grandson who is in Thailand in his gap year travels).

I thought Tom (isn’t he growing up fast) encapsulated everything I feel ie the imminent danger of PFC losing the fans…..it’s happened before and it might possibly be about to happen again.

It maybe OK for Deep and Gaffer to slog on but a lot of fans are about to enter a period where money is very tight, especially after October when energy costs will have more than doubled in a year, value for money won’t just apply to the weekly shop !

Pompey’s management maybe blindly walking towards a minefield,
Pages: 1 2 3 4