TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Sellout today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Should be a good atmosphere.

The club desperately need to do something about the capacity. Even 19 to 20k capacity after the refurb in this league is not good enough if we are doing well and for bank holiday games etc. 

We could have sold over 20,000 today, loads of people I know wanted to go with their kids etc but obviously can't. It's very difficult also to be able to get tickets together.

Obviously the North stand is key to increasing capacity greatly, but the club should really be looking to add more seats in the corners of the ground to boost capacity.

I think we could have sold close to 25k today, especially given the amount of families who want to go, kids etc who want to go and sit together with their mates.

Cullen and Eisner really need to do something about the capacity, not just restore it to 20k in the next year or two.
25k? No chance! You can’t millions of pounds increasing the capacity for a few games and have it half empty the rest of the time.
(15-04-2022, 09:34 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]25k? No chance! You can’t millions of pounds increasing the capacity for a few games and have it half empty the rest of the time.

I think you underestimate Pompey.

Loads of kids and families tc can't go either their mates simply because you can't get seats together a lot of the time.

For example, take Tuesdays game, you couldn't get seats together even well advance.

If people can't go with their families or mates, some people won't go.

You would be able to add a few thousand extra on every game at least if people were able to buy 3/4/5 seats together, as an example.

FP is never half empty, some St holders haven't been going because we are doing terrible but the seats are sold.

If we were top of league one today, we'd have sold 30,000.

The club need to increase capacity urgently so people can actually buy seats together.
Interesting thoughts. For me 25k seems sensible but clubs in the past who have moved to new grounds etc have a suddenly found extra supporters from nowhere so time will tell. Sell out today? Is that 15k?
(15-04-2022, 09:43 AM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting thoughts. For me 25k seems sensible but clubs in the past who have moved to new grounds etc have a suddenly found extra supporters from nowhere so time will tell. Sell out today? Is that 15k?

Yeah 15k to 16k.

I know loads who can't go with their kids and mates to fp, including today, simply because it's impossible to get.multiple tickets together.

25,000 should be the absolute minimum, and we will sell that out in any league if we are doing well and on holidays.

We sold over 50,000 for Wembley ffs.
(15-04-2022, 09:49 AM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-04-2022, 09:43 AM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Interesting thoughts. For me 25k seems sensible but clubs in the past who have moved to new grounds etc have a suddenly found extra supporters from nowhere so time will tell. Sell out today? Is that 15k?

Yeah 15k to 16k.

I know loads who can't go with their kids and mates to fp, including today, simply because it's impossible to get.multiple tickets together.

25,000 should be the absolute minimum, and we will sell that out in any league if we are doing well and on holidays.

You knowing lots of people equates to tens not thousands.

We didn’t sell out in the prem
(15-04-2022, 09:51 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Yeah 15k to 16k.

The majority of games did sellout to be fair. A few didn't. 

Some games didn't sellout as the fans could see what was happening happening with the club I.e being messed over by the owners, plus high matchday prices for very poor facilities and a poor matchday experience. Pompey fans wont be ripped off.

I think the fans are much more behind the club now as they can see a longer term vision under the eisners.

I think most people agree the capacity needs to be increased to at least 25,000 as an absolute minimum.
(15-04-2022, 09:57 AM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-04-2022, 09:51 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Yeah 15k to 16k.

The majority of games did sellout to be fair. A few didn't. 

Some games didn't sellout as the fans could see what was happening happening with the club I.e being messed over by the owners, plus high matchday prices for very poor facilities and a poor matchday experience. Pompey fans wont be ripped off.

I think the fans are much more behind the club now as they can see a longer term vision under the eisners.

I think most people agree the capacity needs to be increased to at least 25,000 as an absolute minimum.

I would say the fans are pretty negative about the club, owners and management right now.

The only way we’d sell £25k is if we’re top of the league.
regarding seats together. The club needs to get professional with selling seats. Everywhere else you go will not let you leave a single blank seat, it shoves you along to close the gap automatically. Might mean shoving season tickets along an odd seat, good chance to do that with new seats in the North and South lowers. Easy to keep groups together and of course check for not blocked views.
In the days before all seaters and hiking ticket prices we might have got near 20k today. Go further back to the late 60s and and we might have topped it. That’s all in the context of a team that still had a shout of promotion. When Pompey were bottom half or in a relegation fight you’d be lucky to get 10k.

But building for 20 and then 25 makes sense as Pompeys level of support as an underachieving League 1 club during the crap financial environment post 2007 is excellent.
really good start to the game from both sides, looks like we are on for an entertaining afternoon.
(15-04-2022, 02:10 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]really good start to the game from both sides, looks like we are on for an entertaining afternoon.

That didn’t last long
Not sure how this can be called a sellout, look to be thousands of empty seats.
Blue Army

I suggest you wait for Season Ticket sales totals for next season before deciding how big a club we are and how big our ground needs to be, that will be a better measure than what your mates think.
Will all these people you know buy STs for next season or do they just want to attend when it suits them ?

I think to build a Pompey football only stadium with more than a capacity of 25,000 would have to be accompanied by Premiership football (even if we were a yo-yo club),

If it were to be a multi-purpose stadium then maybe building for bigger attendances would be viable but that would almost certainly mean a roof with the concomitant substantial extra costs.

I always expected Eisner to build a multi- purpose stadium and for Pompey to become much more  marketing oriented and razzmatazz to be the order of the day, that it’s been somewhat drab surprises me given Eisner’s Disney background.

I didn’t expect him to have any idea about running a football club but expected a real ‘Customer facing, exciting approach’ to Pompey, perhaps it’s too late in his business life-cycle for that to happen now.

(15-04-2022, 03:00 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure how this can be called a sellout, look to be thousands of empty seats.

No there weren't.  Empty seats for segregation in the Milton end and the empty seats that are not on sale currently in North stand lower close to the fratton End due to works.

The onlineticketing website shows as soldout. The tickets that were made available were soldout.
(15-04-2022, 03:29 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Blue Army

I suggest you wait for Season Ticket sales totals for next season before deciding how big a club we are and how big our ground needs to be, that will be a better measure than what your mates think.
Will all these people you know buy STs for next season or do they just want to attend when it suits them ?

I think to build a Pompey football only stadium with more than a capacity of 25,000 would have to be accompanied by Premiership football (even if we were a yo-yo club),

If it were to be a multi-purpose stadium then maybe building for bigger attendances would be viable but that would almost certainly mean a roof with the concomitant substantial extra costs.

I always expected Eisner to build a multi- purpose stadium and for Pompey to become much more  marketing oriented and razzmatazz to be the order of the day, that it’s been somewhat drab surprises me given Eisner’s Disney background.

I didn’t expect him to have any idea about running a football club but expected a real ‘Customer facing, exciting approach’ to Pompey, perhaps it’s too late in his business life-cycle for that to happen now.

I think 25,000 is fine for league one, and that would sellout if we are doing well etc. Same in the championship. 25,000 is an an absolute minimum.

We don't need a new stadium really, just increase capacity with a larger North stand, filling in the corners and possibly extend the fratton end if possible.
Looked like lots of empty seats in the Fratton end.
(15-04-2022, 05:03 PM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]Looked like lots of empty seats in the Fratton end.

I couldn't see hardly any at all.

If you look at the photo on pompeynewsnow on twitter and online it shows as full. Hardly any empty seats.
Sorry, there were loads of empty seats all over the ground.
(15-04-2022, 05:12 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, there were loads of empty seats all over the ground.

Agreed. Front the NSL I could see several hundred empty seats in the South Upper alone. Plus dozens more in the corners on the Fratton End.
The sold out Wycombe gate here was 15092 and todays was 15175. The club is adamant they are not allowed to sell any more until the restrictions are eased. Where I have been temporarily moved there were a lot more ST holders today than Tuesday
But BlueArmy knows 5,000 people who couldn’t get a ticket?
It did turn out to be entertaining in the end!