TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Team Today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Azeez was on the bench for Arsenal today but wasn't used.
Arteta rates the youngster but he wasn't given a consistent run with us & tried to over impress when he did play.
(23-04-2022, 06:10 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-04-2022, 06:05 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]Azeez couldn’t get in our team yet gets picked for Arsenal.  Are we better than Arsenal then?

Azeez played 10 times for us and has played zero games for Arsenal other than 7 minutes as a sub in the Euopra League before he came to us.   So would you care to explain your point ?

He’s been in plenty of squads and was again today so deemed good enough for Arsenal. So saying someone on loan at a lower club means eff all.

I’m sure you can grasp that Deep.
If being on the bench is the criteria then he was picked for every game when he was here (bar maybe one or two). 

My point was that he has not played a minute for Arsenal since he returned. 

The simple truth is that he let himself down while he was here - he just did not perform as well as he should have done given he talent that he has obviously shown. There was no managerial conspiracy, or mishandling of the player - he just didn't play well enough to get picked any more than he was. Anything he does or does not do now he is back at Arsenal will not change that. Hopefully the experience of struggling to find form at a lower level will have been a useful learning experience for him .
(23-04-2022, 05:53 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-04-2022, 04:53 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-04-2022, 04:45 PM)The Realist Wrote: [ -> ]How did you come to that conclusion?  Doubt you have seen anymore of them than I have and on the evidence of today could have easily given some of them minutes.
Exactly, when will they be ready? Another season on the bench?

Vincent has only played 3 games for the Youth Team after season long injury. HJW couldn't get in H & W team whilst on loan. I saw him come on for 30 mins in one match at H & W - looked a totally lost " boy in men's football" , lightweight and hardly touched the ball. 

H & W fans were saying he was same in other matches - far too early to try to blood a nipper in Div1. 

All (inc Mingi) need to go out on loan before they are " ready" and no it won't be next season.

No-one is suggesting that players should n't go out on loan but if you had gone to the game today you would have seen Pompey in control in a meaningless game (for us) and an ideal opportunity to give young player valuable minutes.  Mingi (hardly a nipper at 21) did n't disgrace himself and we got a look at him.  Don't know how many Pompey games you watch but O'Neil, Webster, Whatmough and many more played their first games at 16/17 and yes they looked like boys but gained valuable experience.  The current crop of 'nippers' are all over 18 and need to pick up minutes to gain experience and know what they need to do.
yeh if you are not pushing for the occasional first team by 18 you are not really going to be top notch
Darren Anderton looked like a gangly 14
year old when he first appeared on the scene. I remember seeing him on the touchline and thinking that kid's surely not going to be up to much, but boy he was
that youth team were really something to see, I can't recall them all but Awford, Symons, Darryl Powell, Anderton for starters.
So Exterminator, you cite Ashley Harris as an example of a youngster pushed too early and disappeared after a couple of years. But he was given a couple of years to try and establish himself. Any youngster who is going to make it as a pro is probably going to struggle a bit at first. The decent ones learn from it and progress, the others can't adapt and fall by the wayside. Either of these scenarios is surely better than never being given the chance at all.
Gaff.
Well the programme said Portsmouth v Gillingham. so I guess it was the same one as you.
But as always you are correct, so great show by Ben Thompson
(24-04-2022, 08:37 AM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]Gaff.
Well the programme said Portsmouth v Gillingham. so I guess it was the same one as you.

I haven’t actually looked at our possession percentage for the match but it must be very high.

I see a lot of people are saying that Gillingham didn’t look interested, I think it’s just that they didn’t have enough of the ball to do anything. Our quick passing game was very good today, if we could just add a real cutting edge to it we would be a formidable side.

I await the outcome of the contract discussions with interest.
(23-04-2022, 06:27 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-04-2022, 05:28 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-04-2022, 03:25 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]Very disappointed in Ben Thompson

Me too

Not sure what game you were watching.

I haven’t seen a more one sided contest for years and we should have won by more, which explains where our problem is and why we are not in the frame.

Bearing in mind the minimal amount of possession Gillingham had, I thought Thompson did OK. He was their best player by a country mile and I’d sign him tomorrow given the chance.

The group of ST holders who I have been sitting with in my lofty perch plus myself wouldn't agree. We all thought he was a shadow of the player we had on loan here.  It's a matter of opinion Gaff.  I would agree Gillingham were very poor 2nd half. Until the 9 minutes time added on they didn't show any attacking intent at all.
(24-04-2022, 09:44 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]

I haven’t actually looked at our possession percentage for the match but it must be very high.

I see a lot of people are saying that Gillingham didn’t look interested, I think it’s just that they didn’t have enough of the ball to do anything. Our quick passing game was very good today, if we could just add a real cutting edge to it we would be a formidable side.

BBC say we had 64%
The contract discussions need to push ahead now.
The form of late suggests we have the basis of a promotion team if we can keep them and, as so often stated, add a cutting edge.
O'Brien looks a decent third man. Hirst if we could keep him for another season looks a good enough number nine now. I would have thought our missing factor is someone upfront with real pace, add that and we will get a few more pens for starters.
(24-04-2022, 09:53 AM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-04-2022, 09:44 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]

BBC say we had 64%

That sounds a bit low to me but I wasn’t doing the counting, it just seemed like we had the ball most of the time.
(24-04-2022, 10:22 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]The contract discussions need to push ahead now.
The form of late suggests we have the basis of a promotion team if we can keep them and, as so often stated, add a cutting edge.
O'Brien looks a decent third man. Hirst if we could keep him for another season looks a good enough number nine now. I would have thought our missing factor is someone upfront with real pace, add that and we will get a few more pens for starters.

Very good point, Hammie. I think we had just two this season. Crazy.
Pages: 1 2