TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: My ratings today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
An enjoyable game considering how lifeless it could have been. All in all a good win and gives us a decent chance of beating last season's points total.

Bazanu  7  Not much to do but did OK
Carter 9 Shares MOTM for me, looked dangerous every time he came forward from both right back and left back. 
Raggett 7 Given a rought time by their centre forward but held his own 
Robertson 8 Solid at the back and a good goal. He is an unsung good signing in my book. 
Ogilvie 7 Not at his best but no mistakes. Bit hardh that he was booed by their fans after bring their POTY. 
Morrell 9 Looked a class above and ran the game, passing much quicker than usual. Also got the better of his feisty duel with O'Keefe in the first half so emphatically that they took him off.
Thompson 8 Dominated his namesake Ben and looked really committed. 
Harness 6 Not awful but as often happens the moves regularly broke down when he lost possession. 
Jacobs 7 Not at this best and had less influence on the game than usual. Couple of bad dead-ball deliveries offset by great corner for the third. 
Curtis 8 Always a threat and took both goals very well. 
Hirst 8 Led the line superbly, but no real goal threat today.

Ben Thompson has lost his pace so despite some classy turns and passes he did not dictate play like he used to when he was here.   Based on that showing I'd be more keen to make sure we've got Louis on our books next year than him.  Totally indifferent now as to whether we go for him or not. 

The one Gillingham player we should sign if they go down is the centre back Tucker. He looked like a younger version of  Raggett, and at 22 fits the profile of the kind of player we should be signing.
Agree with the above. With you all the way on Carter. He could be a serious player and I have enjoyed watching his development here. Good luck to him wherever he is next season.
And I should have added an 8 for the stewards and their sympathetic handling of the lad rolling on the pitch. 

But why did it take his Dad (presumably) so long to rescue him ??? Surely he would not have been left on his own ?
Ben Thompson was totally wasted by Gillingham as they played him wide left, the wide right. He needs to be in the thick of things in the middle of the park. He's a gladiator not a show pony. How any one deduces 'lost pace' from that game beats me.
My theory is that Deep is a club stooge trying to constantly defend poor club policy. Why else would he come up with so much nonsense?
Do you think the stewards should have mobbed the boy?
I thought the stewards did a great job not going in. I was momentarily concerned about the pack of players approaching. I was more prodding my disagreement with Deeps assessment of Ben Thompson, along with other transfer opinoin differences we have.

The steward point, I am in agreement
I thought Curtis was completely anonymous for the whole game, but I'll take that every week if he pops up with two goals.

I was hoping we'd get a penalty so he'd have a chance at a hat trick. Apparently we've scored only one hat trick in the last six years. Harness at Burton in 2020.
(23-04-2022, 10:10 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]I thought the stewards did a great job not going in. I was momentarily concerned about the pack of players approaching. I was more prodding my disagreement with Deeps assessment of Ben Thompson, along with other transfer opinoin differences we have.

I didn't think my assessent of Ben Thompson was that damning, nowhere near as critical as others on other threads and other platforms and I even said I wouldn't mind if we signed him. 

But if you could not see any difference in the way he played yesterday to the way he played for us then there is no point debating it with you.  His strength used to be his pace over the the first two yards that took him away from players in a flash, and his non-stop energy and running. That was lacking yesterday, but the rest of his game looked OK and as I said he still showed some nice touches. As Jimbon says it may have been because they wasted him playing wide.  

But bottom line is that if he had never played for us I don't think anyone would have been clamouring for his signature based just on just yesterday's performance.
or maybe he is simply not really "match" fit
(24-04-2022, 01:04 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-04-2022, 10:10 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]I thought the stewards did a great job not going in. I was momentarily concerned about the pack of players approaching. I was more prodding my disagreement with Deeps assessment of Ben Thompson, along with other transfer opinoin differences we have.

I didn't think my assessent of Ben Thompson was that damning, nowhere near as critical as others on other threads and other platforms and I even said I wouldn't mind if we signed him. 

But if you could not see any difference in the way he played yesterday to the way he played for us then there is no point debating it with you.  His strength used to be his pace over the the first two yards that took him away from players in a flash, and his non-stop energy and running. That was lacking yesterday, but the rest of his game looked OK and as I said he still showed some nice touches. As Jimbon says it may have been because they wasted him playing wide.  

But bottom line is that if he had never played for us I don't think anyone would have been clamouring for his signature based just on just yesterday's performance.

Thompson’s game was never based on pace and even if it was he wouldn’t lose it over a couple of yards.

Gillingham had hardly any of the ball during the game, so it was hardly surprising that he didn’t shine. He was playing in a very poor side.

I’d sign him up in a heartbeat.
We need to replace Williams. So why wouldn't you be looking at Thompson?

When he is vailable for FREE,
When you have a huge chunk of wages available.
When he has proved himslef time and time again in a Blue shirt.
When Gillingham fans are giving him rave reviews.

The only reason you wouldn't is if you're a stubborn loser who wants to stamp your Authority on the fans to show who's in charge.

Logically, you get him signed up day 1 of the summer window. Shut up the fans, and spend your time hunting for the remaining 11 players your job depends on.
(25-04-2022, 02:39 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]We need to replace Williams. So why wouldn't you be looking at Thompson?

When he is vailable for FREE,
When you have a huge chunk of wages available.
When he has proved himslef time and time again in a Blue shirt.
When Gillingham fans are giving him rave reviews.

The only reason you wouldn't is if you're a stubborn loser who wants to stamp your Authority on the fans to show who's in charge.

Logically, you get him signed up day 1 of the summer window. Shut up the fans, and spend your time hunting for the remaining 11 players your job depends on.

But do you really think Cowley and his non-league coaching and recruitment team are that forward thinking?  We'll end up with a Histon No.9 who scored 15 goals in the Cambridgeshire pub league this season, another midfielder with dodgy knees and yet our head coach will still complain about having little to no money.
he will certainly complain about that if nothing else