TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Wigan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Jack, Tom Naylor and Leam Richardson return. It's a massive game for them, they can mathematically clinch promotion with a draw and they could clinch the title too if they better Rotherham's result at Sunderland. They've just been given an extra 400 tickets which will bring their travelling support up to 1000 if sold. P.U.P.
Congrats to Jack for making the team of the season. Massive egg on face for whoever decided to bin him.

We usually do ok against Wigan though. They're having a little wobble at the moment. Understandable given the pressure to get things done. I think a point does it for them?
Yes a draw confirms promotion. If Rotherham lose at Sunderland then the draw would be good enough to clinch the title also
We didn't bin him, he got offered a one year longer contract, given his year on year injury issues that was hard to argue against. If we had given him a long contract and his knees had collapsed, there would have been a lot of criticism on here. Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess.
We'll beat them.
(25-04-2022, 01:40 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]We didn't bin him, he got offered a one year longer contract, given his year on year injury issues that was hard to argue against. If we had given him a long contract and his knees had collapsed, there would have been a lot of criticism on here. Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess.

If a player says: I have a 2 year contract offer. Can you match it and I will stay. Just give me market rate.
And then you turn it down. That in my book is binning a player, however you want to spin it. 

The club made a decision, and I believe it was the wrong one. DC also wanted to keep him. 

I can accept the decision the club made; its done now. But lets be clear about what actually happened.
DC said he wanted to keep him, doesn’t mean he wanted to keep him. I’m sure he knew of the fans opinions on Jack.
It will be poetic justice if Jack and Tom do help Wigan get promoted at Fratton Park tomorrow night, Pompey clearly didn’t value either enough to try to keep them and have been proved wrong, both have played just about every game for a Championship bound side and have contributed goals and assists.

So Jack had injury problems in his career at Pompey, the idea that we couldn’t offer him a longer contract because of that would be more understandable if we hadn't gone on to bring in two known sick-notes in Robertson and Hume.

Others may disagree but I don’t believe that any of our current midfielders are a real improvement on Naylor.

Just goes to show that if you believe in your own ability, there is life beyond Fratton Park, something that Raggett, Curtis and Harness and their agents will have noted.

Jack and Tom may well be playing Championship football next season (no guarantees mind) whereas the threesome above will likely be plying their trade in the boondocks that is League 1 (call it Division 3 to get the right perspective)……and I wouldn’t necessarily think that The Autos are nailed on for us next season, more like an attritional struggle to get to the playoffs.
(25-04-2022, 03:03 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]It will be poetic justice if Jack and Tom do help Wigan get promoted at Fratton Park tomorrow night, Pompey clearly didn’t value either enough to try to keep them and have been proved wrong, both have played just about every game for a Championship bound side and have contributed goals and assists.

Wighty, you didn't used to sit in the NSL did you?  I only ask because during our drop through the divisions I sat next to a guy who used to delight in Pompey losing as, apparently, it was all the club deserved (no, I never worked that one out either).

He used to call himself a supporter too, but I think he was one of those Premier League glory hunters that we thankfully don't see at FP any more.
(25-04-2022, 03:03 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]It will be poetic justice if Jack and Tom do help Wigan get promoted at Fratton Park tomorrow night, Pompey clearly didn’t value either enough to try to keep them and have been proved wrong, both have played just about every game for a Championship bound side and have contributed goals and assists.

It will be poetic justice if PFC beat Wigwam and deny them any promotion party moosh.

As you must know at your age  Wighty football is all about opinions. In PFC case they weren't willing to take the chance that JW would break down after pioneering surgery. I thought even last season that he was slow on the turn and had lost quite a bit of pace - that will be horribly exploited in the Championship.

Wasn't fussed about losing TN - Morrell and a fit Thompson are way ahead of him  and at 30 going on 31 now his best years are gone.
(25-04-2022, 03:49 PM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: [ -> ]

Wighty, you didn't used to sit in the NSL did you?  I only ask because during our drop through the divisions I sat next to a guy who used to delight in Pompey losing as, apparently, it was all the club deserved (no, I never worked that one out either).

He used to call himself a supporter too, but I think he was one of those Premier League glory hunters that we thankfully don't see at FP any more.

Smile  Smile

Yea he does seem to be happy whenever anything bad happens to Pompey doesn’t he.
(25-04-2022, 04:26 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]

It will be poetic justice if PFC beat Wigwam and deny them any promotion party moosh.

As you must know at your age  Wighty football is all about opinions. In PFC case they weren't willing to take the chance that JW would break down after pioneering surgery. I thought even last season that he was slow on the turn and had lost quite a bit of pace - that will be horribly exploited in the Championship.

Wasn't fussed about losing TN - Morrell and a fit Thompson are way ahead of him  and at 30 going on 31 now his best years are gone.

You sound like an dumped girlfriend.

Good luck to the pair of them, they are clearly in a better team and will be playing champ football next season, no doubt with a nice bonus and pay rise.

Let’s hope Wigan don’t offer Thompson a contract too.
Lots on here believe Whatmough can do well in the Champ, the opinion was much more varied on Naylor. He did get relegated previously, but I believe he was played as a centre half at the time?
Yeah ! I’m a glory hunter ! That’s why I started at Fratton Park in August 1946….at seven years old I could see that Glory Days were on the horizon (or maybe my family could !).

I later came to learn that Pompey is twinned with disappointment and that those brief periods of exciting, winning football had to be enjoyed whilst they lasted……and there weren’t so many in the over 4,000 games I have attended home and away.

No, not for me the North Lower, it was 30 years of buying 3 season tickets in North Stand Centre Section on the halfway line even though I lived abroad for 14 years of them - although I did spend a small fortune in airfares from Spain, Cyprus, Singapore and the US.
I finally gave up my season tickets after Jacketts second season of utter dross as it seemed to me there was no silver lining even on the far and distant horizon.

I used to be starry-eyed about The Blues but with old age comes an unwillingness to accept manifest incompetence and I’ve just seen 5 years of that at Fratton Park.

Most of you seem happy to accept what you are served up, fine, good luck; I just expect more than you.

So sorry if my often caustic and acerbic commentary on Pompey offends, here’s a suggestion, get over yourselves !
(25-04-2022, 09:29 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah ! I’m a glory hunter ! That’s why I started at Fratton Park in August 1946….at seven years old I could see that Glory Days were on the horizon (or maybe my family could !).

I later came to learn that Pompey is twinned with disappointment and that those brief periods of exciting, winning football had to be enjoyed whilst they lasted……and there weren’t so many in the over 4,000 games I have attended home and away.

No, not for me the North Lower, it was 30 years of buying 3 season tickets in North Stand Centre Section on the halfway line even though I lived abroad for 14 years of them - although I did spend a small fortune in airfares from Spain, Cyprus, Singapore and the US.
I finally gave up my season tickets after Jacketts second season of utter dross as it seemed to me there was no silver lining even on the far and distant horizon.

I used to be starry-eyed about The Blues but with old age comes an unwillingness to accept manifest incompetence and I’ve just seen 5 years of that at Fratton Park.

Most of you seem happy to accept what you are served up, fine, good luck; I just expect more than you.

So sorry if my often caustic and acerbic commentary on Pompey offends, here’s a suggestion, get over yourselves !

A good plan might be to watch England play cricket in the summer, that soon makes you happy for small mercies!
(25-04-2022, 04:59 PM)oi oi saveloy Wrote: [ -> ]

Yea he does seem to be happy whenever anything bad happens to Pompey doesn’t he.
Must be something to do with him spending half his time in the USA ..oh hang on
(25-04-2022, 09:29 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Most of you seem happy to accept what you are served up, fine, good luck; I just expect more than you.

I think we call ourselves supporters.  You know, the sort of people who follow a football club, support them through thick and thin, are happy when we win and moan like crazy when we play badly and/or lose. A lot of us use a matchday as a social opportunity too, catching up with friends that we'd otherwise not see that often.

Probably doesn't fit within your definition WB, but if you're happy bitching about the club at every opportunity then knock yourself out.  Just don't expect others to agree with you but do expect them to call you out over it.
(25-04-2022, 08:03 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Lots on here believe Whatmough can do well in the Champ, the opinion was much more varied on Naylor. He did get relegated previously, but I believe he was played as a centre half at the time?

Yes Naylor was relegated from the Championship with Burton, not sure what position he played. I recall he had agreed a deal with Nigel Clough to go to Burton but when Leam Richardson came in for him, the decision to sign a 3 year deal with Wigan was a no brainer
(25-04-2022, 09:29 PM)Wightblue Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah ! I’m a glory hunter ! That’s why I started at Fratton Park in August 1946….at seven years old I could see that Glory Days were on the horizon (or maybe my family could !).

I don’t think being a Pompey fan has been that bad, there have been bad times of course but they have been balanced by the good.

We have won more than most clubs and I’m sure a lot of fans wish their clubs had been as successful as us.

Some people like to moan about their lot, it was ever thus.

I’m really glad that I support Pompey and I’m old too, not as old as you admittedly  Smile .
(25-04-2022, 05:42 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(25-04-2022, 04:26 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]

You sound like an dumped girlfriend.

Good luck to the pair of them, they are clearly in a better team and will be playing champ football next season, no doubt with a nice bonus and pay rise.

Let’s hope Wigan don’t offer Thompson a contract too.
(25-04-2022, 01:40 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]We didn't bin him, he got offered a one year longer contract, given his year on year injury issues that was hard to argue against. If we had given him a long contract and his knees had collapsed, there would have been a lot of criticism on here. Hindsight is a wonderful thing I guess.

Having said that I don't think he's missed a game for Wigan yet. 

Maybe that say ssomething about Pompey's taining methods & pitch?
I worry about how many injuries we pick up in training, one of the reasons the high press worries me.
2-0 down HT. Wigan have only had 2 chances. We've created practically nothing so far.
I don't think Jack missed many matches through injury in his last season with us. He'd proved the point over his fitness. He was our best player and we let him leave for nothing. That's not great business.
Pages: 1 2