TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Cost of housing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
How will this all end?
(26-04-2022, 11:12 AM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]How will this all end?

Well if the population continues to grow at the current rate, and the supply of housing doesn’t, it’s only going one way isn’t it?

The only way out is to quickly provide a lot of cheap, high density housing in the big cities, maybe using the same quick build techniques the Chinese use.

There is no other way except a drastic reduction in the population and that is not happening anytime soon, barring intervention by the likes of Putin of course.
Current population growth rate is 0.6%, current birth rate is 1.8. That would indicate a population in decline - if you can hang on long enough prices may actually fall. An ONS report suggests that a million people left the UK in 2020
But how can we even out society so that everyone has an equal chance of owning their own home ?

Also it seems stupid that people are paying a rent of up to twice the cost of a mortgage that they cannot get.
Setting pay ratios would be a start. The most well-paid member of an organisation cannot earn more than x of the lowest paid. Taxing wealth, rather than earnings. Increasing stamp duty for buy-to-let. Multiplying council tax by five, ten times for second home owners. Tougher legislation around affordable and social housing. Local councils return to their position of largest local landlord.

There’s loads of things that could be done, some quite revolutionary, some incremental, it just requires the political will.

112 MPs have declared themselves as private landlords. 4 SNP, 18 Labour, 90 Conservatives.
(26-04-2022, 02:49 PM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]But how can we even out society so that everyone has an equal chance of owning their own home ?

Also it seems stupid that people are paying a rent of up to twice the cost of a mortgage that they cannot get.

I agree about rents compared with mortgages, however there will always be a gap but double is too high. You are clearly hoping for a Utopian society if you think everyone should be homeowners. The UK has a far higher percentage of homeowners than most parts of Europe, or the world come to that. My biggest concern regarding housing is the severe lack of social housing. There is not a workable societal model out there which allows all to be homeowners.
(26-04-2022, 03:39 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: [ -> ]Setting pay ratios would be a start. The most well-paid member of an organisation cannot earn more than x of the lowest paid. Taxing wealth, rather than earnings. Increasing stamp duty for buy-to-let. Multiplying council tax by five, ten times for second home owners. Tougher legislation around affordable and social housing. Local councils return to their position of largest local landlord.

There’s loads of things that could be done, some quite revolutionary, some incremental, it just requires the political will.

112 MPs have declared themselves as private landlords. 4 SNP, 18 Labour, 90 Conservatives.
Here we go, typical left wing thinking. More tax hikes.
"Here we go, typical left wing thinking. More tax hikes."

Well Jiz, there's carrot and there's stick. Up until now, for private landlords, its been all carrot and look where we are. But, rather than just criticise everything I'm sure you have some bright ideas of your own - so let's have 'em.
(26-04-2022, 04:34 PM)Tufnell_Chimes Wrote: [ -> ]"Here we go, typical left wing thinking. More tax hikes."

Well Jiz, there's carrot and there's stick. Up until now, for private landlords, its been all carrot and look where we are. But, rather than just criticise everything I'm sure you have some bright ideas of your own - so let's have 'em.

'Sound Money'

Then we will see if house prices go up.
Yes why can`t one dream of a utopian society.

There should be some restriction on people hoovering up properties and renting them out.
You are moaning about the effects of money creation (All made possible by your friend the government).

With sound money the banks can't just make money out of thin air, this would not be possible.

And house prices, food, energy, good and services would all be stable.

And if you saved today, it would still buy the same stuff in 50 years.

Look at the history of goldWink

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-pri...unces/GBP/
Let me show you it's the value of the money.

"The mortgage market took off and house prices flew. At the start of the 70s the average house price was £4,057."

https://www.sunlife.co.uk/articles-guide...n-and-now/

27th April 1972 £18.91 per once of gold £4,057 divided by £18.91 you could get 214 ounces of gold

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-pri...unces/GBP/

214 ounces today x £1516 each once = £325,246

Real money vs house prices have not changed

The problem is you don't have real money.

You have bank paper or bank digits.
Look at wages in the 60s

House prices continued to rise along with the average income, which now stood at £960 per year.

https://www.sunlife.co.uk/articles-guide...n-and-now/

£960 divided by £14.47 per once of gold 16th Jan 1970 as far back as I could go = 66 ounces

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-pri...e-history/

66 ounces of gold x £1516 per ounces as wages per year today would = avg wage of £100,000

do you see yet????
How is it that Picn'mix hijacks every sensible debate?
I'm off to wales for a bit of gold mining
Sound money backed by something tangible like gold has its advantages and its disadvantages (apparently). Also they reckon cryptocurrency might be the way forward, but it's extremely new. And weird. I think we're stuck with what we've got for now.
(27-04-2022, 06:16 AM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]I'm off to wales for a bit of gold mining

As long as it's not to buy a holiday home! Very anti blow-ins buying housing. They have or are considering bringing in a 200% council tax hike for second homes. Other parts of the UK should do the same.
Come the revolution !!!
(27-04-2022, 06:16 AM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]I'm off to wales for a bit of gold mining

Is that a euphemism?

I thought you lived in Spain Isaac(?)
I do have a passport - as it 'appens (now who used to use that catchphrase - apart from me that is ?)
I hope that's a rhetorical question.

How's about that then, guys and gals?
You got it Scouser