TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Team for todays match
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There is one switch on the bench, however, where Ryan Tunnicliffe makes way for teenage defender Liam Vincent.

Pompey: Bazunu; Carter, Raggett, Robertson ©, Ogilvie; Morrell, Thompson; Harness, Jacobs, Curtis; Hirst
Subs: Webber, Romeo, Vincent, Williams, Mingi, O’Brien, Walker
I thought these players couldn't play more than one game in a row.
Hirst for the First.
Nice to have a settled team on match day 46  Big Grin
Have we been on the beach or have we been shown up for being totally inadequate against better teams (away from home)? Beat Wycombe, lost to Wigan, Rotherham, MK, Sunderland, Sheff wed, Oxford, Plymouth, Ipswich... hmmm that's awful.
Finishing 10 points off playoffs in our 5th season in the league should be an embarrassment for the owners. Not sure that will resonate with them though.

On a positive note, the football has shown some gradual improvement over the season. Its a bit of a concern that the strategy for away games is not working (to put it politely).

The problem is that he has to start pretty much from scratch again.
(30-04-2022, 01:52 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Finishing 10 points off playoffs in our 5th season in the league should be an embarrassment for the owners. Not sure that will resonate with them though.

On a positive note, the football has shown some gradual improvement over the season. Its a bit of a concern that the strategy for away games is not working (to put it politely).

The problem is that he has to start pretty much from scratch again.

It’s the players and manager that should be the most embarrassed ffs!
it was labelled as a sentence of transition. If we are seen to have built a team that is better next season, then I imagine most of us could live with that. If next season proves to be another damp squibb ......
(30-04-2022, 03:16 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]it was labelled as a sentence of transition. If we are seen to have built a team that is better next season, then I imagine most of us could live with that. If next season proves to be another damp squibb ......

Got more points than last season so I suppose that is some kind of progress, but small comfort. 

Whether the transition was worth it will depend on how many of the current squad we can keep. If we can keep the likes of Raggett, Carter, Jacobs  & Hirst, or at least two or three of them,  then the transition will be worth it because if we would have a good chance of keeping momentum from the second half of this season going and we could start in top two form next season. But if we have to replace all of the above we would be relying on new players gelling quickly, which can of course happen as Redknapp proved, but it makes it harder.
at least we can be the first team off the mark in building for next season. Most of our rivals are involved in the play offs and as we know that can lead to a late squad build AND a slow start next season. Here's hoping.
(30-04-2022, 03:22 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(30-04-2022, 03:16 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]it was labelled as a sentence of transition. If we are seen to have built a team that is better next season, then I imagine most of us could live with that. If next season proves to be another damp squibb ......

Got more points than last season so I suppose that is some kind of progress, but small comfort. 

Whether the transition was worth it will depend on how many of the current squad we can keep. If we can keep the likes of Raggett, Carter, Jacobs  & Hirst, or at least two or three of them,  then the transition will be worth it because if we would have a good chance of keeping momentum from the second half of this season going and we could start in top two form next season. But if we have to replace all of the above we would be relying on new players gelling quickly, which can of course happen as Redknapp proved, but it makes it harder.

Agreed, but the big difference is Harry demanded money to splash. Also, he could persuade top players to join us. I remember a quote from Glenn Johnson. "I had No idea of wanting to join Pompey but Harry persuaded me to sign".
Harry took a lot of free transfers and left the club to negotiate higher wages with the money he saved. Ultimately that cost us big time, but it seems a good way to build a team without dead money on transfer fees. Especially for older players.