TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Home Points
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Must say I was amazed when I saw the stat in the News that this season has seen us win more home points (47) than any other season since the 2002/2003 Premier League promotion campaign. It just doesn't feel like a better season, in any way, than in the last 9 years. But I suppose it really does highlight how poor we have been away from home. Yesterday did the same as you contrast home games with Rotherham and Wigan with the visit to the Owls and, for instance, Morecambe last week.

So a successful home campaign but even then my feeling is I have only been "entertained" in about 20% of those games. Where that leaves the away percentage? Probably about the same as my current bank saving interest rate.
Win half your games,draw a quarter,get in the play -offs.
if we want more attacking teams they will probably be vulnerable away from home unless we are one of the best tow teams in the league, or that seems to be my memory of following pompey around the country over the years.
(01-05-2022, 10:18 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]if we want more attacking teams they will probably be vulnerable away from home unless we are one of the best tow teams in the league, or that seems to be my memory of following pompey around the country over the years.

Not rocket science PC had it right in most away games with 1 up front but lots of 1-0 wins.

Then play a more attacking 4-4-2 or 5-3-2 at home.
Kenny also got the away set up pretty good in fact home he was pretty good at garnering points.
We as a fan base are falling into the same trap as the likes of Sunderland, Spurs and Newcastle, expecting attractive football and then complaining if it results in less points.
In addition, we've had 7 consecutive top 10 finishes. That's the first time we've achieved such a run in our entire Football League history!
Just a shame it’s in the third tier!
Its a very strong 3rd tier right now though!
(04-05-2022, 06:41 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Its a very strong 3rd tier right now though!

Fantastic thing that. We’re playing in a better league and no one has to pay over the odds for a Championship season ticket. Better football for the same money.

Being in league one just gets better and better.

I’ve seen some great football this season. Some of it by Pompey.
A quick look at Wikipedia shows that Sheffield United spent 6 seasons trying to get out of this division, failing in the play-offs 3 times and twice not reaching them.  In fact the season before they won it they finished 11th, with 66 points.  Not sure what this proves, if anything, apart from the fact that things can change.  But it does show that getting out of the 3rd division isn't a piece of cake.  After all, at best only one of the traditional so-called 'big clubs' will go up this season, and if none do, that's seven of us who all think we belong in the higher division but several of whom are destined to remain at this level for a few seasons yet.  Let's hope we have served our time.
One thing is for sure,the Championship is a different place now than 12 years ago. Better football,better players and more expensive!
(05-05-2022, 11:16 AM)SouthseaBubble Wrote: [ -> ]A quick look at Wikipedia shows that Sheffield United spent 6 seasons trying to get out of this division, failing in the play-offs 3 times and twice not reaching them.  In fact the season before they won it they finished 11th, with 66 points.  Not sure what this proves, if anything, apart from the fact that things can change.  But it does show that getting out of the 3rd division isn't a piece of cake.  After all, at best only one of the traditional so-called 'big clubs' will go up this season, and if none do, that's seven of us who all think we belong in the higher division but several of whom are destined to remain at this level for a few seasons yet.  Let's hope we have served our time.

I still remember the fifteen consecutive and mostly painful seasons we spent in the second tier between 1988-2003.  I really don't think it's beyond the club to repeat that at our current level.
(05-05-2022, 11:52 AM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-05-2022, 11:16 AM)SouthseaBubble Wrote: [ -> ]A quick look at Wikipedia shows that Sheffield United spent 6 seasons trying to get out of this division, failing in the play-offs 3 times and twice not reaching them.  In fact the season before they won it they finished 11th, with 66 points.  Not sure what this proves, if anything, apart from the fact that things can change.  But it does show that getting out of the 3rd division isn't a piece of cake.  After all, at best only one of the traditional so-called 'big clubs' will go up this season, and if none do, that's seven of us who all think we belong in the higher division but several of whom are destined to remain at this level for a few seasons yet.  Let's hope we have served our time.

I still remember the fifteen consecutive and mostly painful seasons we spent in the second tier between 1988-2003.  I really don't think it's beyond the club to repeat that at our current level.

And just missing out on relegation each season, bar the odd one.
(05-05-2022, 12:46 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-05-2022, 11:52 AM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: [ -> ]

And just missing out on relegation each season, bar the odd one.

My first 14 seasons (1962-1976) were all spent in Div 2, and we always seemed to finish 16th. (Not literally true).  Eventually we did go to the next level - down.
Bubble - the exception was 67-68, that was fun for a long part of the season, as well as a couple of decent cup games.
re sheff utd, it took getting a manager who totally understood the club
(05-05-2022, 10:21 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-05-2022, 06:41 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Its a very strong 3rd tier right now though!

Fantastic thing that. We’re playing in a better league and no one has to pay over the odds for a Championship season ticket. Better football for the same money.

That's all very true - on the bright side, in an unpredictable competitive league, we've got us and most of...

Derby County
Bolton
Sheffield Yesterday 
Sunderland
Ipswich
Charlton
and others

Having a fighting chance in that is a lot more gripping than playing for a halfway Premier finish
(05-05-2022, 03:15 PM)JIMBON Wrote: [ -> ]Bubble - the exception was 67-68, that was fun for a long part of the season, as well as a couple of decent cup games.

It was an excellent season, or promised to be - didn't we fall apart a bit after signing Trebilcock to strengthen our promotion push?  Those were still the days when the press still talked about Pompey regaining 'its rightful place' in the first division.  Don't think anyone would dare refer to us in those terms today.
(05-05-2022, 06:35 PM)66zoolane Wrote: [ -> ]

That's all very true - on the bright side, in an unpredictable competitive league, we've got us and most of...

Derby County
Bolton
Sheffield Yesterday 
Sunderland
Ipswich
Charlton
and others

Having a fighting chance in that is a lot more gripping than playing for a halfway Premier finish
All the above clubs haven't been afraid to invest this season unlike Pompey.
(05-05-2022, 07:25 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]

Derby County
Bolton
Sheffield Yesterday 
Sunderland
Ipswich
Charlton
and others

All? Even Derby?! Christ give it a rest ffs, you are worse than a woman for your constant whinging. I don’t think football is for you.

Derby County
Bolton
Sheffield Yesterday 
Sunderland
Ipswich
Charlton
and others

And they all wasted their money except maybe one of Sheff Wed or Sunderland if they go up.  So your point is what ? You wish we had wasted some money too ?
(05-05-2022, 08:06 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

Derby County
Bolton
Sheffield Yesterday 
Sunderland
Ipswich
Charlton
and others

And they all wasted their money except maybe one of Sheff Wed or Sunderland if they go up.  So your point is what ? You wish we had wasted some money too ?

I wouldn’t have thought Derby were a good example of prudent financial dealings.
(05-05-2022, 08:47 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-05-2022, 08:06 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-05-2022, 10:21 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Fantastic thing that. We’re playing in a better league and no one has to pay over the odds for a Championship season ticket. Better football for the same money.

Derby County
Bolton
Sheffield Yesterday 
Sunderland
Ipswich
Charlton
and others

I wouldn’t have thought Derby were a good example of prudent financial dealings.

Mikeys not too bright.
Flashing the cash sells season tickets but it sure as hell does not guarantee promotion.
A good experienced manager will get you very close at the very least.
Mikey doesn’t actually watch games, he just listens to radio commentary. He does watch the highlights and ‘The News’ player ratings are his bible. He’s still bitter that we didn’t snaffle Reuben Sammut from under the noses of Sunderland.

He doesn’t appear to have a clue what he’s on about but he does seem to be a nice bloke.’

I’m just a twat.
Pages: 1 2