TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: George Hirst
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If we kept hold of him, is he going to get us 20 next season?

We need another striker to approach that sort of figure too, if we going to aspire to automatic promotion. I’m not sure O’Brien is quite going to be that player.

If we don’t get Hirst then who?????
(05-05-2022, 10:43 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]If we kept hold of him, is he going to get us 20 next season?

We need another striker to approach that sort of figure too, if we going to aspire to automatic promotion. I’m not sure O’Brien is quite going to be that player.

He won’t be here next season, if he has any ambition he will be trying to get a championship club.
(05-05-2022, 10:43 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]If we kept hold of him, is he going to get us 20 next season?

Thats the challenge isn't it. Its hard enough scoring 20 goals in a season. Almost impossible with a new striker getting to know his teammates & new managers tactics. It's good that we offloaded Harrison & Marquis but not enough work seems to have been done with a view to this season.
(05-05-2022, 10:49 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

He won’t be here next season, if he has any ambition he will be trying to get a championship club.

I don’t mind if his ambition is to keep improving with us. In fact, I’d have more confidence in him, as a player, if he did. Put his career on the line and help get us up.

In a championship club, he could be on the bench and he knows what that has done for his development!
(05-05-2022, 10:55 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-05-2022, 10:49 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

I don’t mind if his ambition is to keep improving with us. In fact, I’d have more confidence in him, as a player, if he did. Put his career on the line and help get us up.

In a championship club, he could be on the bench and he knows what that has done for his development!

Why would he put his career on the line for us? Leicester would also want to loan him to a championship club, they will want to see him progress if he is going to ever get a chance in the Prem.

We couldn’t afford the fee if they were will to sell or his wages even if they let him go. He doesn’t love Pompey, he’s a footballer.
Our Trump card is being able to offer regular starts in a team he has begun to hit form with. That could be the key to re-signing him and if Hirst is honest with himself, it's a gamble going to the championship right now as he would have to hit the ground running to get the gametime he needs.

Money talks though.
(05-05-2022, 11:09 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Our Trump card is being able to offer regular starts in a team he has begun to hit form with. That could be the key to re-signing him and if Hirst is honest with himself, it's a gamble going to the championship right now as he would have to hit the ground running to get the gametime he needs.

Money talks though.

Much of that team won’t be here next season though.

If he is going to gamble his career on us or playing in the championship it will be playing in the championship.
If ever there was a need to do all we can to buy or extend loan on a player, this is it. I'd be content if we keep Bass, spend our budget on Hirst, and keep most of the rest. They are beginning to gel. Not bothered about Jacobs (he's good but not that good and of course injury prone). O'Brien wants to stay, and despite the regular moaners on here Harness is a vey skilful player and works his socks off tracking back (just needs crossing practice as does Curtis.) If we don't b@lls up the contact talks, then we should be able to make the playoffs in what will be a very tight league.
What i want to see more than anything next season is 100% effort and determination from every one of the players who puts on the shirt.
Wouldn't mind so much if an established/decent Champ team comes in for him.

However, it would be galling if one of our erstwhile league one rivals found the funding to get him!

A few contenders instantly come to mind.
(05-05-2022, 11:27 AM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]If ever there was a need to do all we can to buy or extend loan on a player, this is it. I'd be content if we keep Bass, spend our budget on Hirst, and keep most of the rest. They are beginning to gel. Not bothered about Jacobs (he's good but not that good and of course injury prone). O'Brien wants to stay, and despite the regular moaners on here Harness is a vey skilful player and works his socks off tracking back (just needs crossing practice as does Curtis.)  If we don't b@lls up the contact talks, then we should be able to make the playoffs in what will be a very tight league.
What i want to see more than anything next season is 100% effort and determination from every one of the players who puts on the shirt.

I'd like to see a manager who picks a consistent team with consistent tactics and gets them working really well together. There was certainly no sign this season.
(05-05-2022, 12:44 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-05-2022, 11:27 AM)Rocketman Wrote: [ -> ]If ever there was a need to do all we can to buy or extend loan on a player, this is it. I'd be content if we keep Bass, spend our budget on Hirst, and keep most of the rest. They are beginning to gel. Not bothered about Jacobs (he's good but not that good and of course injury prone). O'Brien wants to stay, and despite the regular moaners on here Harness is a vey skilful player and works his socks off tracking back (just needs crossing practice as does Curtis.)  If we don't b@lls up the contact talks, then we should be able to make the playoffs in what will be a very tight league.

I'd like to see a manager who picks a consistent team with consistent tactics and gets them working really well together. There was certainly no sign this season.

TBP that is exactly what we need, we live in hope.