TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Drop Marquis
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Patience gone now. Several times yesterday he has five blue shirts in front of him. How is that going to result in him scoring?

Putting his head down and running around in midfield does not disguise nor excuse his terrible first touch and unacceptable conversion record.
(07-02-2021, 10:06 AM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Patience gone now. Several times yesterday he has five blue shirts in front of him. How is that going to result in him scoring?

Putting his head down and running around in midfield does not disguise nor excuse his terrible first touch and unacceptable conversion record.

Totally agree. Problem is who to play up there. Harrison and Hiwula? Would that work? We needed to find an extra striker in the transfer window. Stockley would have been my choice but he couldn’t have played alongside Harrison.

Deebo

Hiwulas confidence must be shot. He probably would need patience and a decent run in the side to get up to speed. I've given up caring so I expect he has as well and just wants to play somewhere - anywhere!
(07-02-2021, 10:06 AM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Patience gone now. Several times yesterday he has five blue shirts in front of him. How is that going to result in him scoring?

Not sure why him playing a bit deeper when Harrison is playing is any cause for criticism. 

I agree on his lack of reliability in front of goal - he seems to be a confidence player and only scores in batches. But you cannot fault his effort this season, he works his bollox off for the team.
Problem is he's Not a Natural goalscorer & needs too many chances to score.

Most of his goals are scored very close in & lacks versatility.

But he's a hard worker & can play as a decent hold up player.

Harrison is too similar but better in the air.

Hiwula is the missing link & can play off either of them as he's faster & a better natural finisher.

Problem is KJ can't see what's obvious to the fans.
(07-02-2021, 01:23 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Hiwula is the missing link & can play off either of them as he's faster & a better natural finisher.

Hiwula's career record is less than one in four games FFS.  How does that make him a natural goalscorer ? He's never established himself anywhere and only once scored double figures in a season.  The nearest he came to being regular anywhere was Coventry and they dumped him in the job centre.  

Don't make the mistake of thinking he must be the answer just because he isn't getting picked at the moment .. KJ has rated him enough to give him a chance and sees him every day in training.
You can’t drop Marquis as the cupboard is Fcuking bare, they need to give hiwula or whatever his name is a run of games with Marquis.
Harrison ain’t worth a bolt as a striker and I have no idea why they signed him either scoring goals or assists.
If Harrison is supposed to be the big lump you pump the ball up to that holds it up then lays it off, there needs to be someone to do that running on part.

That's not Marquis. He is too interested in being behind the ball when it's played and pointing fingers at other people.

Assuming Jacobs is fit, I would consider playing Ronan or Harness through the middle off Harrison. They're going to offer more in one phase than Marquis has the ability to manage in two matches.

Marquis is James Vaughan with hair.
(07-02-2021, 02:28 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-02-2021, 01:23 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Hiwula is the missing link & can play off either of them as he's faster & a better natural finisher.

Hiwula's career record is less than one in four games FFS.  How does that make him a natural goalscorer ? He's never established himself anywhere and only once scored double figures in a season.  The nearest he came to being regular anywhere was Coventry and they dumped him in the job centre.  

Don't make the mistake of thinking he must be the answer just because he isn't getting picked at the moment .. KJ has rated him enough to give him a chance and sees him every day in training.

"Isn't getting picked"-he isn't in the matchday squad lately. This is classic KJ, he'll sign a player as a free agent & he hardly uses them @ all. The same goes for a lot of the loans over the years, some of which have been woeful. If we're going to sign a player imo he should @ least be of suitable quality to have a chance of playing. Seems to me that a lot of the loans & Hiwula type players are just here to flesh out the squad. Byers apparently has loads of ability-where the feck is he. I have to say I've tried not to go into the Kenny out stuff over the years, but even if we go up imo we need fresh ideas & a fresh approach to transfers & recruitment planning plus getting someone in with a clear plan b & c if necessary. Yesterday sticking on knocker White wide left was awful. The team got nothing from it & I doubt the lad did either. Poor game management.
Marquis is probably about due for criticism. Hasn't been a regular scorer for a while and despite his fantastic work rate, he's been a liability around the box. I actually believe that Harrison is a good foil for him but Marquis needs to get closer to him to pick up the pieces.
(07-02-2021, 05:34 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]If Harrison is supposed to be the big lump you pump the ball up to that holds it up then lays it off, there needs to be someone to do that running on part.

That's not Marquis. He is too interested in being behind the ball when it's played and pointing fingers at other people.

Assuming Jacobs is fit, I would consider playing Ronan or Harness through the middle off Harrison. They're going to offer more in one phase than Marquis has the ability to manage in two matches.

Is that the same James Vaughan who has scored 16 in 22 league games this season? Another player who didn't cut it at Pompey yet thrives elsewhere!
(07-02-2021, 05:34 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]If Harrison is supposed to be the big lump you pump the ball up to that holds it up then lays it off, there needs to be someone to do that running on part.

Sadly Jacobs isn't fit and seems to hardly ever be.
Is it Ricky’s imagination, or is Harrison total garbage? He’s got a terrible touch, he doesn’t seem to offer anything at all.
Tricky Dicky is right, Harrison is one of those physical, strong players who 'puts himself about',  'makes a nuisance of himself', 'upsets defences', 'works hard' , all admirable qualities but at the end of the day don't contribute anything significant in the way of goals or assists.  In the end they usually get found out and get offloaded on. We've had plenty of them over the years.
Most teams have.
Prolific goalscorers are a very rare breed
Tricky you are correct, Harrison is shite as is Marquis. To think we blew nearly £2M on Harness and Marquis. Well done Kenny. The signs were always there, we had Marquis on loan and he was cack and Harness is another Kyle Bennett, supposedly skillful yet horrendously inconsistent, just another young player who wont see his full potential.
(09-02-2021, 02:26 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Tricky you are correct, Harrison is shite as is Marquis. To think we blew nearly £2M on Harness and Marquis. Well done Kenny. The signs were always there, we had Marquis on loan and he was cack and Harness is another Kyle Bennett, supposedly skillful yet horrendously inconsistent, just another young player who wont see his full potential.

Seems you've been watching a different Harness to me.

Deebo

If Harness wasn’t asked to spend his energy and time on the right in his own half then I am sure we would see an even better player. I think he still does well in a role that obviously doesn't play to his strengths and will probably become an even better player when he leaves us.
Well I'm sure you haven't watched him much this season BTC other than ifollow. He's a good player but very erratic and inconsistent, is he a winger,and inside forward or a number 10? There is no denying his skill but like Williams there isn't very often an end result. Personally he was best up front with Marqmiss but even then it he was inconsistent.