TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Our squad is frighteningly bad
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Looking through the squad list on the official website (why haven't the club removed Bazunu, Carter, Hirst, O'  Brien etc?), we have a very very bad squad.

The only players that are good enough for a promotion winning league one team are Jacobs (if fit) and Morrell. In my opinion. 

We have two very good league one players, the majority of the rest are capable of good moments but extremely inconsistent, but promotion winning teams have players that are more consistent than these players that we have.

Raggett, Robertson, Hume, Bass, Reeco, Thompson, Harness, Curtis etc all not good enough for a team wanting to achieve promotion from league one. I don't care if Raggett won fans player of the season in a poor side, he was exposed many times last season still. We can do better than him and Robertson. They seem decent guys but not good enough. I'm sorry if it sounds harsh but Pompeys welfare comes first and always will. A lot of away games especially they were all over the place.

We have already been linked with some poor players this window. 

Of course if the club could sign Woodrow, bring back Hirst, Carter etc, players of that standard, then I'd feel a lot more positive. That won't happen though.

I'm afraid if Bass, Raggett and Robertson are starters for us this season then we are in for a very difficult season.  Bass isn't good enough. Get rid of Curtis and Harness too and replace them with more consistent team players.

Pre season next week, yet we keep getting told its ages until the window closes. I think we have too much work to do and too much rubbish retained.

We are massively up against it this season again, I think promotion is extremely unlikely or next to impossible with the amount of work that needs doing to the squad.

With our current squad and a maybe 5 average signings (we were advised to expect around 5 signings) we will finish mid table.

I've just looked at Ipswich, Sheff Wed's, Peterborough, Barnsley, Boltons and some others squads and theirs are massively better.

The expectation is to achieve promotion, and I don't think many Pompey fans realise how far off we are with this squad. We need a massive influx of quality signings, we need like 8 to 10 quality signings on the level of Hirst and Carter. 

Unfortunately the owners are happy to stay in this league especially whilst ground improvements are carried out and the Cowleys will do what they are told because no one else will have them.

Pompeys welfare is the priority and on the pitch it is extremely grim.
You can’t have seen Raggett play last season, he hardly put a foot wrong
(17-06-2022, 05:36 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]You can’t have seen Raggett play last season, he hardly put a foot wrong

I respect your opinion but can I I ask if you went to many away games?

He was torn apart time and time again away from home. But he wasn't the only one to be fair. Not sure if that's to do with the system etc but away from home he wasn't very good.

I'm not singling out Raggs, as he is one of many players not good enough for this club.

I'll never boo them on matchday and they'll get my support on matchday but I can't believe that there aren't more people extremely concerned with the state of the squad.

I'd be less concerned if our squad was in a decent condition but it isn't.
Haven’t you posted variations of this several times? We will sign players.
(17-06-2022, 06:37 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]Haven’t you posted variations of this several times? We will sign players.

No I haven't.

Of course we will sign players, every club will.

I'm amazed that other Pompey fans aren't worried about this season.

Cowley said we are looking to sign about 5 players this window, and given the state of the current squad, that is extremely alarming.

We need about 10 above average standard players to challenge.

I'm extremely worried.
I’m more worried about Mix’s Government forecasts. I’m gonna have no possessions in 8 years. Not been to any away games lately as I live abroad but have seen virtually every game on iFollow and didn’t see him ripped apart very often. Saw him win about 80 or 90% of aerial duels, do umpteen interceptions and score lots of goals. Yes he turns slowly at times but even brings the ball out on occasions. First on my team sheet.
(17-06-2022, 07:28 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]I’m more worried about Mix’s Government forecasts. I’m gonna have no possessions in 8 years. Not been to any away games lately as I live abroad but have seen virtually every game on iFollow and didn’t see him ripped apart very often. Saw him win about 80 or 90% of aerial duels,  do umpteen interceptions and score lots of goals. Yes he turns slowly at times but even brings the ball out on occasions. First on my team sheet.

Well I guess that's what makes football such a great sport, that fans can see things completely differently.
It's a complete sh;tshow. We are miles away from being competitive this year.
The owners are thousands of miles away in a different timezone. They want to know our favourite film.
They can't find a Director of Football to head up the recruitment strategy.
The CEO told us to wait til the 10th so they could announce signings.
The manager told us they had players lined up and would do their business early.
The academy continues to decline. Is anyone still left there?

It is concerning, to say the least.
The owners have got the ground sorted. The players for the new season are down to the management team and the signing up team behind the scenes. We seem to have resigned all who are going to, so should start seeing movement on incoming any time soon.
(17-06-2022, 07:50 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]It's a complete sh;tshow. We are miles away from being competitive this year.
The owners are thousands of miles away in a different timezone. They want to know our favourite film.
The manager told us they had players lined up and would do their business early.

Squad will come together in the end,have faith in the Cowleys.......i have backed us to go up to the champ and i see the bet as an investment.

Eisner`s building a top quality ground which would grace league2 if it all blows out Danny`s arse.

the ace card is Harry and H will do a red adair if he has to do it.
jam roly poly all round in the Fratton end
(17-06-2022, 07:50 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]It's a complete sh;tshow. We are miles away from being competitive this year.

Good post. I think the majority of fans are taken in by the bull spouted by the club time and time again.

The real problem is not only the lack of investment in the squad, but no one at the club has any real football knowledge. They don't know how to get us promoted.
(17-06-2022, 08:32 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]The owners have got the ground sorted. The players for the new season are down to the management team and the signing up team behind the scenes. We seem to have resigned all who are going to, so should start seeing movement on incoming any time soon.

The ground will not be sorted even after the current works are done, including the Milton End.

It should only be the start. We need a larger capacity than 20,000.

Spot on, not a lot of hope of immediate improvement on the playing front. Someone somewhere is playing a dangerous game, one that could end in relegation!
I'm not worried because I know we are bottom half minnows now. Seriously it gets easier if you just see it for what it is and stop caring. Maybe that's why Eisner Senior wants us to concentrate on our favourite films. 

John Wick if anyone gives a toss by the way.
(17-06-2022, 08:34 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]

Good post. I think the majority of fans are taken in by the bull spouted by the club time and time again.

The real problem is not only the lack of investment in the squad, but no one at the club has any real football knowledge. They don't know how to get us promoted.

Lol
(17-06-2022, 05:56 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-06-2022, 05:36 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]You can’t have seen Raggett play last season, he hardly put a foot wrong

He was torn apart time and time again away from home. But he wasn't the only one to be fair. Not sure if that's to do with the system etc but away from home he wasn't very good.

I'm not singling out Raggs, as he is one of many players not good enough for this club.

I'll never boo them on matchday and they'll get my support on matchday but I can't believe that there aren't more people extremely concerned with the state of the squad.

I saw all the away games and Raggett was superb for much of the season.

Curious that you think he was poor when Pompey were away. It would be interesting which ones you thought he was torn apart in.

Did you see any matches?
(17-06-2022, 10:11 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]

Curious that you think he was poor when Pompey were away. It would be interesting which ones you thought he was torn apart in.

Did you see any matches?

Yes.

From the top of my head he was terrible away at sheff wed, rotherham, mk dons, wigan, burton, accrington and at home v Charlton, mk dons, Ipswich and Cambridge. There were others too.
(17-06-2022, 10:37 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-06-2022, 10:11 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]

Did you see any matches?

Yes.

From the top of my head he was terrible away at sheff wed, rotherham, mk dons, wigan, burton, accrington and at home v Charlton, mk dons, Ipswich and Cambridge. There were others too.

Has he shagged your Mrs?
(17-06-2022, 05:32 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]I don't care if Raggett won fans player of the season in a poor side, he was exposed many times last season still. We can do better than him and Robertson. They seem decent guys but not good enough. I'm sorry if it sounds harsh but Pompeys welfare comes first and always will. A lot of away games especially they were all over the place.

Who are we to argue given you've over 300 L2 appearances as a striker Big Grin 

But if you think Raggett was pony last season, and selectively chose away games where less supporters could argue the point, then you're deluded.  As bad as things may have been at times, Raggett was a stand out amongst the dross and ineptitude and we were lucky to have him.  He started well up at Fleetwood on the opening day and only got better from there.
(18-06-2022, 11:08 AM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: [ -> ]
(17-06-2022, 05:32 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]I don't care if Raggett won fans player of the season in a poor side, he was exposed many times last season still. We can do better than him and Robertson. They seem decent guys but not good enough. I'm sorry if it sounds harsh but Pompeys welfare comes first and always will. A lot of away games especially they were all over the place.

But if you think Raggett was pony last season, and selectively chose away games where less supporters could argue the point, then you're deluded.  As bad as things may have been at times, Raggett was a stand out amongst the dross and ineptitude and we were lucky to have him.  He started well up at Fleetwood on the opening day and only got better from there.

Wow I must have missed some posts here BlueArmy - are you Norman Piper?

Deebo

If BA’s who I think he could be he’s a damn fine chap.
(18-06-2022, 11:41 AM)The Realist Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-06-2022, 11:08 AM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: [ -> ]

Wow I must have missed some posts here BlueArmy - are you Norman Piper?

Norman Piper was definitely not a league 2 striker.
(18-06-2022, 11:45 AM)Deebo Wrote: [ -> ]If BA’s who I think he could be he’s a damn fine chap.

As are many of us on here.
I won't have a single pleasantry aimed in my direction. I'm a vile coont and I won't have it any other way
Our team is rubbish? Isn't that a given these days?
Pages: 1 2 3 4