TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Why aren't people massively concerned with the state of our squad????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Do people not care anymore??? Are people resigned  to failure and actually accept it for this famous old club who have spent the majority of our existence in the second tier. I care and will tell it how it is.

Its been two months, yes two, since the season finished and we have signed only one player (admittedly a decent player in Pack). Only our midfield looks half decent now, with Pack, Morrell, Jacobs. The rest of the team is a complete shambles in goal, defence and attack. The other midfielders aren't good enough either. NO senior strikers at a club of our stature, what is going on? I would have got rid of most of the squad from last season if given the chance.

I repeat, the only players currently at PFC who are good enough for our club and a promotion push are Jacobs, Morrell and Pack. That's three, that's it. And unfortunately Jacobs is always injured. Every single one of the remaining players are NOT good enough. 

It's always the case that the clubs outside the prem who do the majority of the business towards the start of the season as opposed to before pre season most of the time fail to achieve their objectives. This is mostly due to them getting the scraps I.e poorer standard of player. This is almost always the case unless you have a very good manager which we dont have. It isn't always down to money, its about having a good manager and recruitment team who know what here doing. We have neither.

Danny doesn't inspire positivity either. If you read on the ipswich forum he was at a kids footy tournament last week with his kids and an Ipswich fan asked about expectations for the season, Cowley said Ipswich would win the title and he wrote off any of Pompeys chances, very dismissive apperantly. Does Cowley think he's managing a two bob mickey mouse club or something? He certainly isn't. We are the famous Portsmouth f.c in the third tier, have some pride and expectation ffs. By most standards, especially by football league standards, we are a big club. There's one thing playing down things but not completely writing off our chances this season.  He's lucky to be managing us.

Apparently people connected to the club I.e Andy Moon on twitter have said there are no imminent signings at Pompey. No signings in the near future. WHAT?!??

The clubs who were already ahead of us on the field by some distance have strengthened hugely already. 

At worst we are third biggest club in this league but it is massively apparent that we are going to fail this season. 

A few people on this board like scumslayer, pedalo can actually see what a massive concern the onfield situation is. 

Why can't other people see what huge trouble we are in on the field?

I'll tell you this now, we are going to finish anywhere between 10th to 18th this season.

It should be completely unacceptable and a disgrace for Portsmouth football club not to finish at least in the playoffs in the third tier ffs, YET AGAIN.

Stop with the positivity nonsense, it won't help. You only have to look at what we have done so far on the field and who we have been linked with to see what a poor season we are in for. Yet another year goes by and another season of failure for this famous old big club.

Where have the standards gone at this club? Where has our pride and expectation gone? 

With the season upon us, we should be excited, but yet again it is going to be another season of failure.
Amen.
(27-06-2022, 07:43 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]Do people not care anymore??? Are people resigned  to failure and actually accept it for this famous old club who have spent the majority of our existence in the second tier. I care and will tell it how it is.

Its been two months, yes two, since the season finished and we have signed only one player (admittedly a decent player in Pack). Only our midfield looks half decent now, with Pack, Morrell, Jacobs. The rest of the team is a complete shambles in goal, defence and attack. The other midfielders aren't good enough either. NO senior strikers at a club of our stature, what is going on? I would have got rid of most of the squad from last season if given the chance.

I repeat, the only players currently at PFC who are good enough for our club and a promotion push are Jacobs, Morrell and Pack. That's three, that's it. And unfortunately Jacobs is always injured. Every single one of the remaining players are NOT good enough. 

It's always the case that the clubs outside the prem who do the majority of the business towards the start of the season as opposed to before pre season most of the time fail to achieve their objectives. This is mostly due to them getting the scraps I.e poorer standard of player. This is almost always the case unless you have a very good manager which we dont have. It isn't always down to money, its about having a good manager and recruitment team who know what here doing. We have neither.

Danny doesn't inspire positivity either. If you read on the ipswich forum he was at a kids footy tournament last week with his kids and an Ipswich fan asked about expectations for the season, Cowley said Ipswich would win the title and he wrote off any of Pompeys chances, very dismissive apperantly. Does Cowley think he's managing a two bob mickey mouse club or something? He certainly isn't. We are the famous Portsmouth f.c in the third tier, have some pride and expectation ffs. By most standards, especially by football league standards, we are a big club. There's one thing playing down things but not completely writing off our chances this season.  He's lucky to be managing us.

Apparently people connected to the club I.e Andy Moon on twitter have said there are no imminent signings at Pompey. No signings in the near future. WHAT?!??

The clubs who were already ahead of us on the field by some distance have strengthened hugely already. 

At worst we are third biggest club in this league but it is massively apparent that we are going to fail this season. 

A few people on this board like scumslayer, pedalo can actually see what a massive concern the onfield situation is. 

Why can't other people see what huge trouble we are in on the field?

I'll tell you this now, we are going to finish anywhere between 10th to 18th this season.

It should be completely unacceptable and a disgrace for Portsmouth football club not to finish at least in the playoffs in the third tier ffs, YET AGAIN.

Stop with the positivity nonsense, it won't help. You only have to look at what we have done so far on the field and who we have been linked with to see what a poor season we are in for. Yet another year goes by and another season of failure for this famous old big club.

Where have the standards gone at this club? Where has our pride and expectation gone? 

With the season upon us, we should be excited, but yet again it is going to be another season of failure.

Maybe people have got other things to be ‘massively concerned’ about, like strikes, war, the cost of living etc, etc.

It’s a game, a game we all enjoy and get passionate about but a game nonetheless.

The season hasn’t started yet, so we’ll see what the squad looks like then.

You say ‘stop the positivity, it won’t help’, so are you saying that negativity WILL help? All that will do is make you miserable.

Getting worked up won’t help, the only thing that will change things greatly is a lot of money and I don’t have that, do you?

Have a pint and lighten up ffs  Smile .
He’s a Wum, Gaff.

Don’t rise to it and finish yer pint. What you drinking?
Not even going to bother reading this, I assume it’s the same old crap condensed on to one post.
Exgaffer, this is what I'm talking about. It's not just a game to many. Pompey plays a huge part in the lives of many around the world. How Pompey are doing sets the mood for many Pompey fans. Infact, Pompey is the life of many fans.

Every single season we are building towards the next season. 'Maybe this can be a transition season and promotion challenge next season'.

Let's build slowly etc.

No no no no no no no no no no No! We are starting sound like England pundits, maybe England can challenge in the next tournament but then they fail. This is the third tier for goodness sake.

We have been in the doldrums for too long now and I am absolutely sick and tired of treading water every season, I'm sick to death of it.

We need out of this division urgently, we simply cannot have another few years in this division.
Blue Army I fully concur….  Seems many are happy settling for mediocrity…. Where is the hope and ambition..  surely all us fans hope for both and expect the same in any player / manager/ owner we have .I am not asking to sign a million pound player… or spend a vast amount  just someone half decent and by reports I am hearing from best friend (that has PFC connection ) we haven’t or won’t spend £250k -£300k… for a striker they were after … so where does this leave us.

And yes I want to be positive but the more info that comes out ie no signings etc , director of football, academy or lack of, no striker with days to go till pre season  it doesn’t appear to bode well … small club mentality.

If DC said that at Ipswich about our chances of promotion ( no reason to disbelieve you) it is unforgivable … hardly motivational is it..

Let’s hope all changes in the next week or ten days .
My friend with PFC connections said we offered £15m for Twine
(27-06-2022, 09:02 PM)Harrysgirl Wrote: [ -> ]Blue Army I fully concur….  Seems many are happy settling for mediocrity…. Where is the hope and ambition..  surely all us fans hope for both and expect the same in any player / manager/ owner we have .I am not asking to sign a million pound player… or spend a vast amount  just someone half decent and by reports I am hearing from best friend (that has PFC connection ) we haven’t or won’t spend £250k -£300k… for a striker they were after … so where does this leave us.

And yes I want to be positive but the more info that comes out ie no signings etc , director of football, academy or lack of, no striker with days to go till pre season  it doesn’t appear to bode well … small club mentality.

If DC said that at Ipswich about our chances of promotion ( no reason to disbelieve you) it is unforgivable … hardly motivational is it..

Are you BlueArmy or BlueArmy’s wife or sister?
(27-06-2022, 09:02 PM)Harrysgirl Wrote: [ -> ]Blue Army I fully concur….  Seems many are happy settling for mediocrity…. Where is the hope and ambition..  surely all us fans hope for both and expect the same in any player / manager/ owner we have .I am not asking to sign a million pound player… or spend a vast amount  just someone half decent and by reports I am hearing from best friend (that has PFC connection ) we haven’t or won’t spend £250k -£300k… for a striker they were after … so where does this leave us.

Good post mate. Hopefully you post a lot more on here!

I know a couple of people at the club also and they have told me similar, that some very good league one strikers have become available but Pompey will not pay between 200k to 400k for these players. These are good league one strikers who would get us 15 to 20 goals. Players that have been mentioned on this board recently. One very good striker in particular available for 350k but we won't pay. 

Says it all about the ambition.
I have held a ST for 40 years ( missed a handful of games ) in that time …and helped save my beloved club when we were in grave danger of non existence ….and no I am not a relative of Blue Army. Just someone that care about my beloved club.
It's a shit show, yes.

It seems to have polarised a lot of fans. Some are very unwilling to criticise the owners and would rather turn on other fans rather than offer logical counterarguments. Some just don't seem that bothered.

Our first preseason game is on the horizon. How are you supposed to plan a promotion campaign with the squad miles away from being finished?
(27-06-2022, 09:16 PM)Harrysgirl Wrote: [ -> ]I have held a ST for 40 years ( missed a handful of games ) in that time …and helped save my beloved club when we were in grave danger of non existence ….and no I am not a relative of Blue Army. Just someone that care about my beloved club.

Good man. Me too, although I've not had a st for 40 years, about half that. Renewed as always. Its in the blood. I have to travel from abroad every home game but I wouldn't have it any other way. I travel from Cape Town for every Saturday match when travel allows (give midweek games a miss unless they fall immediately after a home game and then I stay in the area).

Not sure I'll be going to many midweek games this season with the way the club are mucking fans about in the pitch, I'll just be going to weekend games I think.
(27-06-2022, 09:24 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]It's a shit show, yes.

It seems to have polarised a lot of fans. Some are very unwilling to criticise the owners and would rather turn on other fans rather than offer logical counterarguments. Some just don't seem that bothered.

Our first preseason game is on the horizon. How are you supposed to plan a promotion campaign with the squad miles away from being finished?

I think it's impossible to plan a promotion campaign.

For what it's worth I don't blame the Cowleys completely, the owners need to spend on the team.

I've thought about it and I think actually many are concerned, but it's probably easier for fans to keep telling themselves the season will work out just fine and ignore any negativity or realism.

The owners can do no wrong according to many.
(27-06-2022, 09:13 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]

Good post mate. Hopefully you post a lot more on here!

I know a couple of people at the club also and they have told me similar, that some very good league one strikers have become available but Pompey will not pay between 200k to 400k for these players. These are good league one strikers who would get us 15 to 20 goals. Players that have been mentioned on this board recently. One very good striker in particular available for 350k but we won't pay. 

Says it all about the ambition.

Who are these strikers then?
Does anyone know the maximum player budget we are allowed to have? Also, what is our current budget? Hammie, Deep??
Wasn't it recently given as £4.5M for the year?
Chuckle

I think you’re right, Tomsk.
Feel better for that BA? Truth is supporters do care and are concerned to a greater or lesser extent dependent on whether or not they take the view that Pompey are waiting for the right personnel to become available or that at the first mention of cash Pompey are out of the door. My grouse with the club is that their words are rarely matched by their actions regarding the playing squad. Groundwork done, June 10 here we go. Only we didn’t and apart from Pack we are still in the starting stalls. As for DC saying Pompey are in a stronger position now than this time last season those words could well come back to haunt him. Now we’re being linked with strikers who’s records suggest they score once in a blue moon. So yes there are grounds for concern but as always there’s little point in jumping off a cliff over something you have no control over and I’m pretty sure there’s also concern at the situation within the walls of FP the question is what will the hierarchy do to address the concerns?
(27-06-2022, 08:29 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]He’s a Wum, Gaff.

Don’t rise to it and finish yer pint. What you drinking?

Actually Cunning I’ve been exercising moderation for the last few days, the weight has been going on a bit too quickly for my liking  Smile .

I’m off out for a few tonight though, I’ll let you know what beers were on.
To answer the original question the reason people are not massively concerned is because we do not know who we are going to sign yet.

The time to be massively concerned is when the squad is complete and it is not good enough.

The impatient can be frustrated by the slowness of the singings, but it is not the speed of the signings that matters, it is the quality. Better players become available after the clubs have been training for a week or two so it is worth waiting rather than panicking early.
(27-06-2022, 08:39 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]Not even going to bother reading this, I assume it’s the same old crap condensed on to one post.

Condensed?!  It's War & Peace, albeit more boring than Leo's original text.

What I wonder is whether BA thinks that by adding lots of question marks to the thread title it makes it in any way more important than any other question asked on here.  As WUMs go you have to give him 10/10 for longevity, although I'm beginning to think that in his long lower-league footballing career ( Big Grin ) he headed one too many balls.
I’m not massively concerned but I am slightly concerned and a tad ‘angry/ frustrated’that we don’t have one first team striker that we own on the books and a GK that’s good enough for L1 but the club don’t want. The season starts in one month, whilst that shows there’s plenty of time for signings it’s not a lot of time to gell pre season, plus I’m willing to bet that 90% of our signings will be loans. We should be buying our own and improving them for us and not other teams.

Although I am slightly concerned, I’m still looking forward to the season and hopefully the play offs at least. PUP.
(28-06-2022, 09:08 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I’m not massively concerned but I am slightly concerned and a tad ‘angry/ frustrated’that we don’t have one first team striker that we own on the books and a GK that’s good enough for L1 but the club don’t want. The season starts in one month, whilst that shows there’s plenty of time for signings it’s not a lot of time to hell pre season, plus I’m willing to bet that 90% of our signings will be loans. We should be buying our own and improving them for us and not other teams.

Although I am slightly concerned, I’m still looking forward to the season and hopefully the play offs at least. PUP.

And Mickel Miller has just signed for Plymuff, so that's that rumour shot down.
(28-06-2022, 08:47 AM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-06-2022, 08:39 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]Not even going to bother reading this, I assume it’s the same old crap condensed on to one post.

Condensed?!  It's War & Peace, albeit more boring than Leo's original text.

What I wonder is whether BA thinks that by adding lots of question marks to the thread title it makes it in any way more important than any other question asked on here.  As WUMs go you have to give him 10/10 for longevity, although I'm beginning to think that in his long lower-league footballing career ( Big Grin ) he headed one too many balls.

Yep condensed, goes to show how much of this sh1te he posts.

I’d say 10/10 for effort, who could be arsed to type all that out ffs.
Pages: 1 2 3