TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: The 20 goals a season striker fantasy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
They won't be on 20 goals with the 10 they'll have behind them at Pompey.

Need to stop this crapping on for a goal scorer and look at the real problem
We certainly need a quality striker or two.  I'd take Hirst back.

The real problem is the quality of the squad.

The only three players that have the ability to play for a promotion chasing team from league one are Morrell, Jacobs and Pack.

Our defence is woeful. Our striking options non existent.

I look at the current sides in this league and their signings and I currently have us down for a 16th place finish.
BA , as your opinion is so valid and the one we all wait for, can you remind us again which 3 players we’ve got that are of any use, you’ve only mentioned once so far.
(03-07-2022, 05:43 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]We certainly need a quality striker or two.  I'd take Hirst back.

The only three players that have the ability to play for a promotion chasing team from league one are Morrell, Jacobs and Pack.

I look at the current sides in this league and their signings and I currently have us down for a 16th place finish.

I’ve got us down as finishing 26th
(03-07-2022, 05:43 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]We certainly need a quality striker or two.  I'd take Hirst back.

I think we’ve got the message ffs.

Only three players good enough.

We’ll see won’t we?
only three of the team that had a very good run in?

Our defence is so woeful it conceded fewer goals than Sunderland who got promoted, and only 6 teams conceded fewer. 

Stats that hardly that show the defence is a problem.
I’m sure I remember Cullen telling us this time last year that buying a 20 goal striker is easy... it’s buying one that fits our playing style that’s more difficult. I’d like him to go with the easy option please.
(03-07-2022, 07:45 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]I’m sure I remember Cullen telling us this time last year that buying a 20 goal striker is easy... it’s buying one that fits our playing style that’s more difficult. I’d like him to go with the easy option please.

That’s because a strikers first job for DC is to press and defend, scoring is secondary.
(03-07-2022, 07:45 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]I’m sure I remember Cullen telling us this time last year that buying a 20 goal striker is easy... it’s buying one that fits our playing style that’s more difficult. I’d like him to go with the easy option please.

I think Marquis was living proof of what Cullen was on about.
its funny how a striker can score lots of goals even in an average side, pitman for example. Natural goalscorers just do that, all their careers.
Actually, Pitman failed dismally at Eastliegh and was seemingly far less effective at Bristol Rovers too.
You can have a 20 goal striker, but without support of his team he won't score many
(04-07-2022, 06:27 AM)mike hunt Wrote: [ -> ]You can have a 20 goal striker, but without support of his team he won't score many

Spot on and that was our biggest problem last season…creating goals. Crosses and corners into the box was woeful. Let’s hope we see a marked improvement this season, but I have my doubts.
(04-07-2022, 04:47 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, Pitman failed dismally at Eastliegh and was seemingly far less effective at Bristol Rovers too.

That's because, as was blatantly obvious in his last season here, his legs had gone.  Still able to stand in the box and put a few away, as he did at Swindon, but totally incapable of being part of a team effort. He has found his correct level for his fitness at Portchester, and credit to him for wanting to keep playing even at the lowest level. 

The big question is will Mikey now not go to Portchester instead of not going to Fratton Park ??
He doesn’t go to Fratton Park, he’s an armchair Swindon fan. Don’t know why he comes on here because he knows nothing about us and has never seen us play.

At least Barmy knows a bit about us and is good at winding up some on here.
(04-07-2022, 09:42 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]He doesn’t go to Fratton Park, he’s an armchair Swindon fan. Don’t know why he comes on here because he knows nothing about us and has never seen us play.

At least Barmy knows a bit about us and is good at winding up some on here.

Total rubbish as you know but if it makesyou feel better keep spouting it....

I went to games regulary at FP but Not for a few years due to family circumstances.

I'm hoping to attend some matches this season though although I don't live in the area any longer.

Good to get the name checks though!

p.s. Looks like we're in for Jack Payne - Swindon ( Of Course! )
James Collins ?