TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Jimmy Dickinson Statue
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It better not have tiny legs and tiny arms!

Anyway the crowdsourcing goal will be achieved with 1,000 £125 donations.

The statue is going up ready for the club's 125th anniversary.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/footb...rk-3757060
(06-07-2022, 08:24 AM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]It better not have tiny legs and tiny arms!

Anyway the crowdsourcing goal will be achieved with 1,000 £125 donations.

The statue is going up ready for the club's 125th anniversary.

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/footb...rk-3757060

Tornante should match the funds raised pound for pound. Or at least match the PST donation.
Isn't it a bit late? That money would better spent on today's supporters.
(06-07-2022, 10:24 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't it a bit late? That money would better spent on today's supporters.

Surely this is today's supporters deciding they want to fund a statue of the clubs greatest player for the 125 celebrations. 

It's a couple of pints worth per supporter .
(06-07-2022, 10:30 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2022, 10:24 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]Isn't it a bit late? That money would better spent on today's supporters.

Surely this is today's supporters deciding they want to fund a statue of the clubs greatest player for the 125 celebrations. 

We all know it's going to be shite. All football  statues are with the possible  exception of the Bobby Moore one.
(06-07-2022, 12:00 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]

We all know it's going to be shite. All football  statues are with the possible  exception of the Bobby Moore one.
It's about remembering the most important player in our history. Of course we all hope it's not shite but that is not the most important thing.
(06-07-2022, 12:00 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]

Well they managed to do a decent enough job of his face in seats in the FE, so absolutely no reason to think a decent statue can't be produced.  

And there are plenty of good footballer statues to be found amongst the few disasters.
Pretty sure if you are having a statue done,the most important thing is it looks good
Reckon the most important thing is to commission the right sculptor. Philip Jackson created the statues of Bobby Moore, Alex Ferguson and Matt Busby - all of which are very good.
The Arsenal ones of Henry, Bergkamp & Adams are all good ... who did them ?
(06-07-2022, 12:27 PM)Roybatty Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty sure if you are having a statue done,the most important thing is it looks good

Yes, I think our neighbours did a great job of paying tribute to Milan.

I like the idea of a statue but I'd prefer to have a bridge instead and call it the Jimmy Dickinson bridge.
I fail to see what was wrong with this one:

[Image: ted-bates.webp]

Mandaric was ecstatic!
(06-07-2022, 12:45 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2022, 12:27 PM)Roybatty Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty sure if you are having a statue done,the most important thing is it looks good

I like the idea of a statue but I'd prefer to have a bridge instead and call it the Jimmy Dickinson bridge.

I'm not a sculptor but I would guess getting a bridge to look like Jimmy Dickinson would be pretty difficult
(06-07-2022, 02:48 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2022, 12:45 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm not a sculptor but I would guess getting a bridge to look like Jimmy Dickinson would be pretty difficult

Albert McCann would be easier.
Dario Silva anyone? There's a little less to do
You heel. Big Grin
(06-07-2022, 12:47 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]I fail to see what was wrong with this one:

[Image: ted-bates.webp]

Mandaric was ecstatic!

I really wish we had bought this one to be placed at the back of the FE. One of the funniest threads ever .
Much better way of honouring the great man than having the sweaty arses of 500 pompey fans sitting on an image of his face every home game.