TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Gruelling Pre Season Training
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The News today reporting players running up to 60KM (as measured by their GPS devices) a week plus gym sessions. This is, apparently, gruelling.

I don't work in metric for running so that's 37 miles in a week plus some gym. You have to assume that 80% of that running is at a steady pace (otherwise we are getting a lot of injuries very soon). It's hardly gruelling. I'd fully expect any football professional to be doing that anyway during the summer before proper pre season starts.

Personally I'd count a 37 mile week with some gym work as a pretty quiet week training wise and I'm more than twice the age of most of our players. If Jordan Cross thinks that's hard work he should look at the mileage some of the Portsmouth Joggers put in.
I doubt the people in charge of fitness etc are even qualified. The club is a shambles.
Ive not run 37 miles in a week so can't really comment. I'm sure some of the boards athletes can enlighten us to see if this is gruelling or not.
(06-07-2022, 12:51 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt the people in charge of fitness etc are even qualified. The club is a shambles.

Bang that’s a cracker! 9/10
(06-07-2022, 08:34 AM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]The News today reporting players running up to 60KM (as measured by their GPS devices) a week plus gym sessions. This is, apparently, gruelling.

I don't work in metric for running so that's 37 miles in a week plus some gym. You have to assume that 80% of that running is at a steady pace (otherwise we are getting a lot of injuries very soon). It's hardly gruelling. I'd fully expect any football professional to be doing that anyway during the summer before proper pre season starts.

Personally I'd count a 37 mile week with some gym work as a pretty quiet week training wise and I'm more than twice the age of most of our players. If Jordan Cross thinks that's hard work he should look at the mileage some of the Portsmouth Joggers put in.

Why don’t you take it up with Jordan Cross?
(06-07-2022, 01:11 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2022, 12:51 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt the people in charge of fitness etc are even qualified. The club is a shambles.

Indeed! And must be jet-lagged since returning to Cape Town.
(06-07-2022, 01:13 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2022, 08:34 AM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]The News today reporting players running up to 60KM (as measured by their GPS devices) a week plus gym sessions. This is, apparently, gruelling.

Why don't you?

I found it interesting and as someone who runs a bit I know that's not an exceptional level of training to be expected of a sportsman and as it's a forum I thought some people might be interested in discussing it. As you're not why don't you, if you'll excuse the pun, jog on.
(06-07-2022, 03:39 PM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2022, 01:13 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Why don't you?

I found it interesting and as someone who runs a bit I know that's not an exceptional level of training to be expected of a sportsman and as it's a forum I thought some people might be interested in discussing it. As you're not why don't you, if you'll excuse the pun, jog on.

Because I don’t have any issue with him saying it!
(06-07-2022, 01:13 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]

Bill dont want to be a pedant but Cape Town is in the same time zone as Europe, so Jet lag wouldnt be an issue. He is either a pathological liar or Fantasist not sure if these are different things.
(06-07-2022, 04:46 PM)Northstandgeorge Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2022, 01:13 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]

Bill dont want to be a pedant but Cape Town is in the same time zone as Europe, so Jet lag wouldnt be an issue. He is either a pathological liar or Fantasist not sure if these are different things.

I have been to South Africa - it is a 12 hour overnight journey, both there & back. Unless our 300+ lower league ex-professional is flying business or first class he would get a form of jet lag as it is virtually impossible for most passengers to sleep in cattle class. 

As for him "doubting that the people in charge of fitness arn't even qualified" that is as ridiculous as his claim that he earned £2k a week when he left football.
Both there and back because it's the same distance whichever way you fly it Exterm? FAF
(06-07-2022, 07:06 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Both there and back because it's the same distance whichever way you fly it Exterm? FAF

Depends on which way rhe jet stream is flowing moosh - can be anywhere between 11 - 12 hours to Cape  Town
BA has a time machine. Surprised none have you have twigged it.
Barmy’s got a fishing pole and some fantastic bait.

Trawlers can’t catch this many fish.
Pompeyg100 - "Because I don’t have any issue with him saying it!"

Why comment then? If you've nothing to say or no interest in it then silence is an option. Muppet.
(07-07-2022, 08:21 AM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]Pompeyg100 - "Because I don’t have any issue with him saying it!"

Why comment then? If you've nothing to say or no interest in it then silence is an option. Muppet.

Lol if I had known how upset you’d get I probably wouldn’t, no need to cry about it.

You posted to an open forum and I suggested you take up your problem with the man who said it.
Yeah, that just makes you look a bit petty and sad really.

But they are training to be footballers. not marathon runners. 60km is plenty for footballers, who need bursts of energy as well as stamina.  

The one thing you can be sure of with the Cowleys is that the training will be scientifically calculated using the latest trends with much technical jargon involved.
Ironic isn't it; they get slagged off for being nothing more than PE Teachers, and when they do their PE Teaching bit they get slagged off for that too  Smile
(07-07-2022, 10:41 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

But they are training to be footballers. not marathon runners. 60km is plenty for footballers, who need bursts of energy as well as stamina.  

The one thing you can be sure of with the Cowleys is that the training will be scientifically calculated using the latest trends with much technical jargon involved.

Apart from maybe one 12 min continuous run to establish base fitness level, most if not all will be short burst and with quick recovery runs.
With a number of longer 100mtr sprints and short recovery thrown in.
90% of all fitness will be high intensity and the gps will monitor any dips in performance that can indicate injury (even if the player is not letting on)
If they are wearing pods on the boots the coaches can even monitor in even greater detail and adjust the exercise program before injuries occur.
When I was playing I could run around 10mph for 15 miles without stopping.

Our players aren't fit enough.
(07-07-2022, 12:38 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]When I was playing I could run around 10mph for 15 miles without stopping.

10/10
(07-07-2022, 10:34 AM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, that just makes you look a bit petty and sad really.

Alright calm down love, Christ I feel sorry for your husband.
(07-07-2022, 12:38 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]When I was playing I could run around 10mph for 15 miles without stopping.

10 mph for 15 miles ?   What's the point of that playing football ?  Perhaps if you had trained to run 20 yds in 2 or 3 seconds from a standing start you might have played at a higher level.
(07-07-2022, 12:43 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-07-2022, 10:34 AM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, that just makes you look a bit petty and sad really.

Alright calm down love, Christ I feel sorry for your husband.

It was wife and you don't have to, she died of cancer 5 years ago.
Pages: 1 2