TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: now very Concerned and ....... Loyalty?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Very concerned that we have now signed an unproven young Goalkeeper to , I assume, command the starting spot ahead of Alex BASS.

As per my previous scribes on this issue  (BASS) - WHY ?  .....  is there an issue between Cowley and Bass ??

What does it ( this action) suggest to young players - our very newest apprentices ?? - instil CONFIDENCE ?????? - really want to join Pompey ??

Bass has been in the FIRST team squad for EIGHT (sic) years - so how does he not get his chance as our No 1 ??

Not the ideal message regarding bringing players through is it ? .... ....REALLY !! ?
77 career appearances? How UNPROVEN is that? REALLY?!
(14-07-2022, 07:05 PM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]Very concerned that we have now signed an unproven young Goalkeeper to , I assume, command the starting spot ahead of Alex BASS.

As per my previous scribes on this issue  (BASS) - WHY ?  .....  is there an issue between Cowley and Bass ??

What does it ( this action) suggest to young players - our very newest apprentices ?? - instil CONFIDENCE ?????? - really want to join Pompey ??

Bass has been in the FIRST team squad for EIGHT (sic) years - so how does he not get his chance as our No 1 ??

Not the ideal message regarding bringing players through is it ? .... ....REALLY !! ?

Unproven ?  Griffiths has 77 league games  and a couple of England youth appearances under his belt, nearly double what Bass has achieved. 

It should be an interesting battle for first spot between them, but I get the feeling Bass does not have the stomach for that fight and will be off. Which is a shame because having two decent goalkeepers on the books would be a good position for the club to be in, like it was last year before Bass went out on loan.
(14-07-2022, 08:36 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(14-07-2022, 07:05 PM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]Very concerned that we have now signed an unproven young Goalkeeper to , I assume, command the starting spot ahead of Alex BASS.

Unproven ?  Griffiths has 77 league games  and a couple of England youth appearances under his belt, nearly double what Bass has achieved. 

It should be an interesting battle for first spot between them, but I get the feeling Bass does not have the stomach for that fight and will be off. Which is a shame because having two decent goalkeepers on the books would be a good position for the club to be in, like it was last year before Bass went out on loan.

Stomach for the fight? I think it’s been made pretty clear that he doesn’t have a chance, there’s no fight to be had and I think you’re being unfair on the kid. He isn’t wanted, that’s not his fault.
If I was Bass I would be off, it is clear that just about anyone on the book when NC arrived is being pushed out. He might be up for the fight but won't get a fair go. When he came in for Baz he was outstanding then right back on the bench, looked totally fed up in the warm up for the following game.
Just don't see the current management team as able to build our team in the long term.
He could always stay, train hard, force his way in when he gets his chance. He may not be DC's first choice but if he works hard, fights for his place and gives it a real go to prove DC wrong then fair play to the lad.
Or he could just give in and flounce off.
He isn't comfortable passing out from the back, so he's toast.

Which is shit, because he is the best goalkeeper we have produced since Begovic.
(14-07-2022, 11:13 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]He could always stay, train hard, force his way in when he gets his chance. He may not be DC's first choice but if he works hard, fights for his place and gives it a real go to prove DC wrong then fair play to the lad.
Or he could just give in and flounce off.

He’s not going to get a chance though hard work or not, DC has made it clear and is very stubborn.

Leaving in order to have a career isn’t flouncing off.
My thoughts pg100.
He needs to think of his family and lengthen his career somewhere else.
Shame really
O.K. points taken (above) - accepted a commendable appearance record .

However my main point - wither the Loyalty to players at the club since their years with the Youth team?
Do we have a viable youth policy any more, or are we overwhelmed, and now become non-competitors in an area trawled by Chelsea, among others ?

Sorry, but a sound youth policy should be a main ( cost effective) part of our football plan going forward. DC seemingly does not buy into that, indeed polar opposites to Jim Smith !
(15-07-2022, 08:18 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]O.K. points taken (above) - accepted a commendable appearance record .

However my main point - wither the Loyalty to players at the club since their years with the Youth team?
Do we have a viable youth policy any more, or are we overwhelmed, and now become non-competitors in an area trawled by Chelsea, among others ?

Sorry, but a sound youth policy should be a main ( cost effective) part of our football plan going forward. DC seemingly does not buy into that, indeed polar opposites to Jim Smith !

A sound youth policy is playing them because they are good enough, not because they are products of the youth scheme.  Ours could obviously be improved but for all its weaknesses there are plenty of our ex-youth players making a good living in the game, several in the premiership, and we could easily start with 5 academy products in our squad this season with Bass, Mnoga, Jewitt-Wite, Bridgeman & Pack.    That is a better record than many other clubs. 

If Bass is better than Griffiths then he will start, but that will be because he is good enough not just because he is 'one of our own'.
The writing has been on the wall for bass since last season,when he got man of the match (was it Wycombe?)and was dropped for the next game
Bass is absolutely getting out of dodge and who can blame him? We have fucked him over for years
I said on here last season Bass wouldn’t be around, as soon as he was loaned out, his future at Pompey was over.
True, unfortunately they have never liked Bass, how much confidence does it give Bass for a younger un-tried keeper in this division to come straight into the team.
Hopefully Bass will join another club and prove them wrong, it’s a shame because the Cowleys will be gone by Christmas
I can’t see the Eisners sacking the Cowleys , if they go it’s because they’ve walked due to the financial restraints put upon them and the lack of development team.
I do believe Alex BASS has been shafted considerably and continually. Seemingly he would have been No 1 if Baz had not arrived last season, and if he goes where he is accepted and admired then very good luck to him.

His current 'lot' is a bitter pill to swallow.
(15-07-2022, 10:48 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]I do believe Alex BASS has been shafted considerably and continually. Seemingly he would have been No 1 if Baz had not arrived last season, and if he goes where he is accepted and admired then very good luck to him.

His current 'lot' is a bitter pill to swallow.

He wouldn’t have been number 1 because they would have got someone else in.
Yes Roy Baz was on Eire duty when Bass was brilliant in the 1.0 win at Wycombe. Baz was back the following Saturday a 2.1 home win over Wimbledon
Bass is only 24 ffs. He isn’t an exceptional keeper or he would be No 1 choice. We need 2 excellent keepers and, hopefully, Bass is one of them. He has every chance to make the slot his own, if he’s better than his counterpart.

He wasn’t as good as Baz and Cowley did the right thing in sending him out on loan to get more experience. It showed an investment in his future in not letting him rot on the bench.
(15-07-2022, 10:18 AM)Mystic Meg Wrote: [ -> ]True, unfortunately they have never liked Bass, how much confidence does it give Bass for a younger un-tried keeper in this division to come straight into the team.
Hopefully Bass will join another club and prove them wrong, it’s a shame because the Cowleys will be gone by Christmas

I don't get this assumption that they will let Bass go just because Crawley are interested. Griffiths could be recalled at any time and  having the two of them fighting for the place is by far the best outcome for the club. 

I wouldn't even say it is certain who would win that battle in the long run, especially if Bass can improve his footwork.
Trouble with that is...Once a keeper is number 1 it would take a game of howlers or injury to dislodge him.
Bass needs regular game time
(15-07-2022, 11:26 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Bass is only 24 ffs. He isn’t an exceptional keeper or he would be No 1 choice. We need 2 excellent keepers and, hopefully, Bass is one of them. He has every chance to make the slot his own, if he’s better than his counterpart.

He wasn’t as good as Baz and Cowley did the right thing in sending him out on loan to get more experience. It showed an investment in his future in not letting him rot on  the bench.

He may well be 24 but he could end up being 30 with only a handfull of games to his credit.
He needs to be assured of no 1 or to move
Not many keepers get to be No 1 at a young age. He was sent out to get game experience with another club. That could well happen again if he isn’t quite ready this season. He needs to prove he is irreplaceable.
(15-07-2022, 03:47 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Not many keepers get to be No 1 at a young age. He was sent out to get game experience with another club. That could well happen again if he isn’t quite ready this season. He needs to prove he is irreplaceable.

It’s been made clear to him he isn’t wanted, he isn’t going to stick around.
Pages: 1 2