TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Business so far.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I’m genuinely very pleased with what has been achieved so far.

Can’t believe that’s where it will end. I believe we have the best to come yet.

I’m actually as intrigued at the possibility of any more leaving, as incoming. Freeman and Curtis are the obvious possibilities. Would those also be used as possible trades?
Happy with the players so far, just need to finish it off now.
Freeman seems to be pretty much out the door, Curtis and Bass probably the only 2 other possibilities to leave.
Freeman has been disappointing but will no doubt attract interest.
I will be annoyed to see Bass go as he looks like a proper keeper in the making.
NC looks like one of those managers who dislikes any player not signed by him on principal.
Just need 2 more strikers, a wide right creative player, another centre back and another keeper assuming Bass leaves. Still got 13 days to achieve it!
It was very frustrating not to have signed a striker until last night. However, we all knew ( or should have) that the situation wouldn't have remained like that for long.

I feel we'll make a bid for Bishop ( probably cheaper and better deal for sell on than Hirst). Hopefully Kyle Joseph and Hayden Carter on loan ( I can dream).

Depending if we sell Bass obviously depends if we need another keeper - I'd be more than happy to see Bass stay.

Other than that I feel we need another left wing/full back and a CB ( if we cant loan Carter), and if Curtis goes a left wing replacement.

I also believe we have one of the best central midfields in the lower leagues in Morrell, Thompson and Pack all three are championship standard.

Keep the faith PUP
(16-07-2022, 09:25 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Freeman has been disappointing but will no doubt attract interest.
I will be annoyed to see Bass go as he looks like a proper keeper in the making.
NC looks like one of those managers who dislikes any player not signed by him on principal.

The transfer window shuts 31/08 not the end of July.
Best to assess good business at the end of the transfer window and compare against the squad that finished the last half of the season. Particularly when you consider Pompey averaged 2 points per game, which is promotion form:

Bazanu vs Griffiths - not seen West Brom play, but I doubt he’s better than Baz
Romeo vs Swanson - Jurys out as not seen Swanson play and he’s never played a competitive game. 
Freeman vs Rafferty - like for like? 
Robertson - no change 
Raggers - no change 
Carter - awaiting replacement 
Oglivie - no change
Hume - no change 
Morrell - no change 
Williams vs Pack - Marlon is a better player and strengthens midfield
Thompson - no change
Tunnicliffe - no change
Curtis - no change 
Jacobs - no change
Harness - awaiting replacement 
O’Brien vs Piggot - like for like
Hirst - awaiting replacement 
Tyler - awaiting replacement 

So unless we resign Carter, Hirst and find a suitable replacement for Harness or players of equal quality can we say that we actually any better than last season.
(16-07-2022, 10:38 AM)BigSmokeBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Best to assess good business at the end of the transfer window and compare against the squad that finished the last half of the season. Particularly when you consider Pompey averaged 2 points per game, which is promotion form:

Romeo vs Swanson - Jurys out as not seen Swanson play and he’s never played a competitive game. 
Robertson - no change 
Raggers - no change 
Oglivie - no change
Hume - no change 
Morrell - no change 
Thompson - no change
Tunnicliffe - no change
Curtis - no change 
Jacobs - no change

So unless we resign Carter, Hirst and find a suitable replacement for Harness or players of equal quality can we say that we actually any better than last season.

Yes, because you can add Mnoga, Vincent, Mingi, Jewitt-Whiter & Bridgeman to the potential first team squad, which makes the squad much deeper.  

But it's too early to compare squads because until we finish signing forwards we have no idea how they will compare. 

I would summarise it so far as ...

GKP - probably a bit weaker but still plenty good enough
DEF - maybe a bit weaker at RB but still plenty good enough (and quite well settled as a unit with Ragget, Robertson & Ogilvie all staying rather than getting used to each other) 
MFD - much stronger , possibly one the best two midfields in the division with plenty of depth. 
FWD - too early to tell but I'd rather have Pigott than O'Brien in the one change we know about.   And if we get either Hirst or Bishop then I would say definitely stronger than either the Marquis/Harrison first half of the season or the Hirst/Walker second half.

and this is comparing against a team that showed promotion form from january.
(16-07-2022, 11:11 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(16-07-2022, 10:38 AM)BigSmokeBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Best to assess good business at the end of the transfer window and compare against the squad that finished the last half of the season. Particularly when you consider Pompey averaged 2 points per game, which is promotion form:

Robertson - no change 
Raggers - no change 
Oglivie - no change
Hume - no change 
Morrell - no change 
Thompson - no change
Tunnicliffe - no change
Curtis - no change 
Jacobs - no change

Yes, because you can add Mnoga, Vincent, Mingi, Jewitt-Whiter & Bridgeman to the potential first team squad, which makes the squad much deeper.  

But it's too early to compare squads because until we finish signing forwards we have no idea how they will compare. 

I would summarise it so far as ...

GKP - probably a bit weaker but still plenty good enough
DEF - maybe a bit weaker at RB but still plenty good enough (and quite well settled as a unit with Ragget, Robertson & Ogilvie all staying rather than getting used to each other) 
MFD - much stronger , possibly one the best two midfields in the division with plenty of depth. 
FWD - too early to tell but I'd rather have Pigott than O'Brien in the one change we know about.   And if we get either Hirst or Bishop then I would say definitely stronger than either the Marquis/Harrison first half of the season or the Hirst/Walker second half.

and this is comparing against a team that showed promotion form from january.
Morning all. Ref midfield, undoubtedly strong but goals from there?? Its putting a awful lot of emphasis on the strikers to score all our goals plus Raggett chipping in. But dont expect it to come from midfield.
Too early to be pleased, haven't seen them play yet
Promotion form from January is great and all but we didn’t even make the playoffs. We also have different players so last season is out the window.

Robertson - no change 
Raggers - no change 
Oglivie - no change
Hume - no change 
Morrell - no change 
Thompson - no change
Tunnicliffe - no change
Curtis - no change 
Jacobs - no change

You threw me at first with Tyler  Blush
We have a much better starting line up then first game of the season last season
(16-07-2022, 11:46 AM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]

Robertson - no change 
Raggers - no change 
Oglivie - no change
Hume - no change 
Morrell - no change 
Thompson - no change
Tunnicliffe - no change
Curtis - no change 
Jacobs - no change

You threw me at first with Tyler  Blush

Carter and Hirst will be missed but they are both players who should be playing at a higher level, we should be able to find suitable replacements for the level we are playing at. 

The defence and midfield are very strong, we just need another couple of forwards.

As for Harness, he had plenty of ability but seldom showed it, also he was a bit lightweight for League 1, I don’t think we’ll miss him. He was here for long enough to display his talents and he only did so erratically, we need consistency if we are going to get anywhere.

I’m optimistic for the new season and the money freed up by Harness going should open up a door or two for us.

PUP