TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Quelle Surprise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
So same as the last two years then. Lots of talk but when it comes down to it we are either outbid by league 2 clubs or due to press or agent chatter alerting other clubs, fail to get deals over the line. I really hoped this season we may have learned to go in early and get the deals done ala Sheffield Wednesday (8 players signed), but no we hold out and hold out and once again it end up with nothing but disappointment. The sad thing is most of us on here wait patiently but expect it to happen again. Hoping it won’t but preparing once again for this definition of insanity.

We should have concluded the Bishop deal weeks ago, why can’t the Eisners support the process financially especially when it was obvious harness would go and money would be returned.

Update: So piggot signed on loan and harness sold, Bishop likely lost at 11th hour, Hirst absolutely no chance (championship bound) Not the attacking force we all hoped for after such a long wait since June 10th. All we’ve actually done is sold one of our most creative players to a rival and agreed to develop one of their assets for a year. Five years on this is hardly “brick by bloody brick”or “eat what you kill”.

What/Who next? Expect a few last minute trialists tonight and Saturday, either freebies or loans as usual
I guess only one particular signing will now keep us happy.....
While we might all be keyboard warriors and have no knowledge of the process in signing a player...it seems the Eisners are clueless as well.
If he comes he will have unbearable expectations on him
Hirst the Saviour
I love the notion that we just tell clubs we are signing their player when we want whether they like it or not.

The club paid a fee for Swanson without selling anyone so money has been available, I know that doesn’t help your argument though.
(19-07-2022, 08:35 AM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]While we might all be keyboard warriors and have no knowledge of the process in signing a player...it seems the Eisners are clueless as well.

The Eisners aren’t signing players! The guy chose a champ club, who can blame him? I don’t see how this is the clubs fault.
The point is g100 Pompey should have moved in weeks/ months ago with the owners backing a move financially until sales took place. They didn’t and the result was as per normal Pompey lost out.
(19-07-2022, 08:43 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(19-07-2022, 08:35 AM)Jizbag Wrote: [ -> ]While we might all be keyboard warriors and have no knowledge of the process in signing a player...it seems the Eisners are clueless as well.

The Eisners aren’t signing players! The guy chose a champ club, who can blame him? I don’t see how this is the clubs fault.

I think it's the overall frustration in that the moment we hear about a player being targeted it's a question of when, not if, we get outbid. It's almost as if when a player is targeted by us, the agent texts every other L1 club to double check nobody will pay more given we're most likely trying not to pay the going rate. And every other club knows we are likely to offering less than full contract terms.

Hirst isn't the bees knees but he was settled at this club and knew most of the players. That should have been factored into the price we could pay. Instead, we've allowed championship and competitors to gradually get ahead of us. I know Blackpool are currently championship but can you honestly imagine this club walking into a l2 club and sealing a deal in such a manner? Have we ever gazumped any other club for a player?

The Preseason is supposed to be about getting your team familiar with each other and fit. Every Eisner season has always been the same - the equivalent of waiting for Tesco Cosham to reduce their chilled section and hoping to grab a bargain. The first half of our season is OUR preseason and we're always playing catch up. 

I don't think we've got a terrible squad but it isn't marvellous either. It's like the Eisner's are genuinely afraid of getting a squad together that could get promoted and force them to make a meaningful dent in their bank account. Someone should ask them has a team ever been promoted on the budget set by this club.

Still, once they've made the ground look tidy, and done up Roko, they'll have a package ready to sell the club and be able to exit the club with a decent return. It's going to happen because they do not have the ambition to get promoted anywhere.
We have met their evaluation tho, even if we offered it weeks ago who’s to say Blackpool wouldn’t have gazumped us then.
If he goes to Blackpool it’s because they’re a championship club plus the the lad is from the north not because we were outbid.
Anyway there’s nothing on t’internet tp say he’s gone.
This kind of thing happens all the time.

One club does all the spade work, sets the price etc. and a higher placed club steps in and scuppers the deal.

Blackpool are oop Norf too, which might be an additional attraction as he’s already up there.

C’est la vie.
Well said Lawrence, love the Tesco analogy. Still look on the bright side at least we have 4 goalkeepers, well until Bass goes of course.
(19-07-2022, 08:31 AM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]I guess only one particular signing will now keep us happy.....

Thompson  signed for Peterborough Wink
Do we really need another thread for a blub fest covering the same things already covered about 15 times(?)
Yes ..
We could talk about how badly Bass is being treated if you prefer?
I think we've touched upon that once or twice too
(19-07-2022, 09:08 AM)blueinbrum3 Wrote: [ -> ]The point is g100 Pompey should have moved in weeks/ months ago with the owners backing a move financially until sales took place. They didn’t and the result was as per normal Pompey lost out.

But we don’t they didn’t and we’re told no by Accrington.
(19-07-2022, 09:12 AM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]

I think it's the overall frustration in that the moment we hear about a player being targeted it's a question of when, not if, we get outbid. It's almost as if when a player is targeted by us, the agent texts every other L1 club to double check nobody will pay more given we're most likely trying not to pay the going rate. And every other club knows we are likely to offering less than full contract terms.

Hirst isn't the bees knees but he was settled at this club and knew most of the players. That should have been factored into the price we could pay. Instead, we've allowed championship and competitors to gradually get ahead of us. I know Blackpool are currently championship but can you honestly imagine this club walking into a l2 club and sealing a deal in such a manner? Have we ever gazumped any other club for a player?

The Preseason is supposed to be about getting your team familiar with each other and fit. Every Eisner season has always been the same - the equivalent of waiting for Tesco Cosham to reduce their chilled section and hoping to grab a bargain. The first half of our season is OUR preseason and we're always playing catch up. 

I don't think we've got a terrible squad but it isn't marvellous either. It's like the Eisner's are genuinely afraid of getting a squad together that could get promoted and force them to make a meaningful dent in their bank account. Someone should ask them has a team ever been promoted on the budget set by this club.

Still, once they've made the ground look tidy, and done up Roko, they'll have a package ready to sell the club and be able to exit the club with a decent return. It's going to happen because they do not have the ambition to get promoted anywhere.

We guzumped Ipswich last season and got Morrel.

They could have signed him sooner instead of waiting till we'd sold Harness. Not exactly short of money are they, and they knew Harness would be sold. 

WE seem to have a chief exec who is fucking useless, that's down to them.
(19-07-2022, 09:59 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]We could talk about how badly Bass is being treated if you prefer?

Michael Eisner being blamed for that as well?
Re Colby Bishop…

I ask 2 simple questions. Even the most pro Mr Eisner fans must be asking.

1.According to reports both from PFC and Accy ..we have been in discussions with Accy for only a few days regarding Colby Bishop. 

Which means we we’re not even seriously pursuing until we sold Harness and money in the bank. Why was this not discussed before . (see below)

2. Season ticket sales income topped £4m …. And we couldn’t dip into that so a striker was purchased ie Colby or someone else before money in.

This implies Mr Eisners had no intention of spending any money before we sold even though in the same transfer window Harness or Curtis were off.  I work in finance and budgets ..we were not even prepared to dip into the £4m season ticket money that is in the bank for a few days to get the signing Cowley wanted  before the Harness money was in. Ooh and by the way. We had been talking to at least 2 clubs for Harness at least 10 days ago so obvious we was going .

No one comes out of this with any credit… with the exception of DC … who gave details I believe (sources at PFC) of his targets some 6-8 or more weeks ago ,  if I was DC I would be livid… he was apparently his top target this season.

Please all I ask as along with most other Pompey fans  please sort it out Pompey …whether it is Mr Eisner or Cullen we are not at the races  …. Why ... And Snooze do not print until signed ..i

Let’s hope it all comes out ok I am an optimistic person …but we need to buck up or I can see panic buys looming. I am begging to feel mugged .
They could try by thinking about where players live. We are far more likely to get southern based players as a permanent signing than one from up north. There are an awful lot of players in London for starters.
The  deal was almost done he was due his medical at FP so was happy to come south  I think it was Championship football although I take your point.
A week ago Blackpool would have come in for him. I don’t get how this is the Eisners fault. He’s not involved in this!
(19-07-2022, 11:12 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]A week ago Blackpool would have come in for him. I don’t get how this is the Eisners fault. He’s not involved in this!

Lets say you are right. In that case we would have found out a week ago that we couldn't get him and would have had more time to find another target. Eisner should be involved. Player transfers is such a massively important part of running a football club. The fact that the eisners don't understand this, shows they don't have a clue what they are doing.
Pages: 1 2