TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Current league prediction for Pompey as it stands
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am going for 10th as it stands. Losing Bazunu, Hirst and Carter who were big players for us will have a detrimental affect on the teams results.

We've signed one or two decent players in fairness but I feel we are weaker than last season, infact it's hard to argue that we are as strong as last season. But I don't think the league is as strong this season either as it was last season.

If you asked me a week or so ago I'd have said around 16th will be our finishing position and there's still time to improve.

In goal we are weaker.
Defence we are weaker.
Our midfield is pretty decent to be fair , with Pack in there with Morrell and Jacobs we are quite strong.
Attackers the jury is out, on the face of it Bishop and Pigott may be good but id say O Brien and Hirst are better but time will tell. Attacking wise we also lost Harness.

Still time to sign players so it's not doom and gloom but if the transfer window closed tomorrow I'd say we'd finish about 10th. Well clear of relegation, maybe a little under a dozen points off the playoffs.

We will beat a lot of the lesser teams at home, our poor away form will likely not improve much, and our defenders will be good against the lower and mid teams but exposed against the better teams in the top 8.

Our current squad isn't strong enough to finish in the playoffs, but there's time yet. We need more quality signings. Work to do still.
I’m going for at least 4th. Especially when we get Carter back and another rt winger and striker. PUP
It will probably hinge on how good a January window we have. If we are in contention and now that the stadium works are done, you'd hope that Danny will be allowed to bolster numbers.

Looking at the squad as of today, it is not a promotion contender. I hope I am wrong.

7th-10th
(22-07-2022, 04:32 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]I am going for 10th as it stands. Losing Bazunu, Hirst and Carter who were big players for us will have a detrimental affect on the teams results.

We've signed one or two decent players in fairness but I feel we are weaker than last season, infact it's hard to argue that we are as strong as last season. But I don't think the league is as strong this season either as it was last season.

If you asked me a week or so ago I'd have said around 16th will be our finishing position and there's still time to improve.

In goal we are weaker.
Defence we are weaker.
Our midfield is pretty decent to be fair , with Pack in there with Morrell and Jacobs we are quite strong.
Attackers the jury is out, on the face of it Bishop and Pigott may be good but id say O Brien and Hirst are better but time will tell. Attacking wise we also lost Harness.

Still time to sign players so it's not doom and gloom but if the transfer window closed tomorrow I'd say we'd finish about 10th. Well clear of relegation, maybe a little under a dozen points off the playoffs.

We will beat a lot of the lesser teams at home, our poor away form will likely not improve much, and our defenders will be good against the lower and mid teams but exposed against the better teams in the top 8.

Our current squad isn't strong enough to finish in the playoffs, but there's time yet. We need more quality signings. Work to do still.

What happened to the relegation battle and only being about to sign rubbish players?
I thought we look good for a top 10 place but no higher than 8th. We are just to few in quality nimbers
Top 10 in the bag, top 6 so long as I juries and suspensions are kind to us
(22-07-2022, 05:55 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(22-07-2022, 04:32 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]I am going for 10th as it stands. Losing Bazunu, Hirst and Carter who were big players for us will have a detrimental affect on the teams results.

In goal we are weaker.
Defence we are weaker.

What happened to the relegation battle and only being about to sign rubbish players?

He's had to downgrade his doom-spreading to top 10. Your prediction of 16th would be a great season for your lot though BlueArmy, always.
(22-07-2022, 04:44 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]I’m going for at least 4th. Especially when we get Carter back and another rt winger and striker.  PUP

Are you asking for Christmas presents early.
I am genuinely optimistic. With the squad as it stands between 5th and 8th. Get one more quality centre back and I would put us top 4. Away form will be the key but I am happy with midfield and forwards, just that slight niggle about defence. 
PUP
Given the form from January and some decent business, I'm going 5th or 6th.
I certainly think our squad is better than most but not top 2 just yet.

Although we are taking a gamble on two unproven goal keepers, I'd much like to see our own one given the nod over a loanee but that does not seem important anymore. To be a top side we need to have one of the most leak proof defences which for me at this level needs a keeper who dominates crosses coming into the box.
I’m far less worried about defense but I would put Pompey just below the playoffs, until January……….Unless we come out of the gates quickly.
12th.
I am going to say 5th. Fingers crossed....

Come on. PUP
(22-07-2022, 06:55 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]Given the form from January and some decent business, I'm going 5th or 6th.
I certainly think our squad is better than most but not top 2 just yet.

Although we are taking a gamble on two unproven goal keepers, I'd much like to see our own one given the nod over a loanee but that does not seem important anymore. To be a top side we need to have one of the most leak proof defences which for me at this level needs a keeper who dominates crosses coming into the box.

Nothing unproven about Griffiths ... he's got 77 league appearances under his belt even though he is only 20. He is more proven than Bazunu was when he arrived (but I'll grant unlikely to be as good).

And Olumayemi is only here for a year, the same as Griffiths. Surely you have to play your best goalkeeper, and that will almost certainly by Griffiths.

I'll predict 4th, behind Sheff Wed, MK Dons & Bolton.
Sorry chasps (sp), we need to sign another young striker plus a wide player with pace. 

Then give the order of the boot to  Curtis, if that happens I'm going on  us being Champions !!
9th at the moment
If we could get Carter back, swap out Curtis and replace Harness, I'd predict solid fourth.
(22-07-2022, 09:24 PM)Cowespompey Wrote: [ -> ]9th at the moment

Had a cheeky bet on Cameron Smith winning The Open, given the generous odds on offer after 3 rounds, which turned out well. We're currently 14-1 with William Hill (other bookmakers available) and I suggest you lump on. Fook the negativity,  we'll piss the league this year - can’t see anything else but Champions and Cowley being inducted into the hall of fame.
(22-07-2022, 09:45 PM)Jezzer Wrote: [ -> ]
(22-07-2022, 09:24 PM)Cowespompey Wrote: [ -> ]9th at the moment

Had a cheeky bet on Cameron Smith winning The Open, given the generous odds on offer after 3 rounds, which turned out well. We're currently 14-1 with William Hill (other bookmakers available) and I suggest you lump on. Fook the negativity,  we'll piss the league this year - can’t see anything else but Champions and Cowley being inducted into the hall of fame.

I like your optimism. We'll need to win a few away games to do that though.
The law of averages says we can't sign / be loaned another duff striker. It's goals that are going to get us out of this league and if the Pig and Bish work out we're in with a shout. I really hope we play 2 up front at home and actually try and murder (not literally) teams from the first whistle.  I'm fed up with teams coming to Fratton Park and taking the piss. Away from home may require some tinkering and I'll settle for a few more conservative formations when needs must. However it goes I want some fun this season. Danny, here we are now entertain us.
I reckon Curtis will raise his game after a disappointing last season. Especially now with 2 proven goalscorers up front.
He showed, when he was made captain, that he can raise his game so I hope you’re right.
If we play wingbacks, where does Curtis fit in?
Based on the club being rotten to the core, the Eisners having no ambition nor willing to spend money, having a clueless mug PE Teacher (with an ipad) for a manager... I'll go for 23rd.
Anything above that will be a bonus.
(23-07-2022, 08:16 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]If we play wingbacks, where does Curtis fit in?

We're not going to play wingbacks & as DC says Curtis will be sold if a half decent offer comes in for the him.
Pages: 1 2