TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Performance today
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The score could have been 0-3 ..,.,. there again if lady luck had been a little kinder in the six yard box 2-2. 

However bang , bang, bang, do we need a Thompson MkII at right back - No1 priority. Massive warning signs it must be sorted asap. 

Other major worry, unless I have missed it, where was Sean Rags ? I understood mid-week from Dc that he was looking to play today we missed his presence big time at the back.

Otherwise, pros - whilst minimal - Ogilvie ( apart from the square pass leading to their first goal)  looked very good going forward. Thompson very sound game on the left and Mingi looked sharp when he came on second half sub. 

I won't enter into the Cons only to say, get a right back asap; get a right winger second asap; AND Take lots of black cats on the coach to Hillsborough !!
We have 2 right backs. He won't sign any more.
Rafferty had a good game.
I spoke to Sean Raggett at the end of the game. He expects to be playing next Sat.
(23-07-2022, 05:23 PM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]The score could have been 0-3 ..,.,. there again if lady luck had been a little kinder in the six yard box 2-2. 

However bang , bang, bang, do we need a Thompson MkII at right back - No1 priority. Massive warning signs it must be sorted asap. 

Other major worry, unless I have missed it, where was Sean Rags ? I understood mid-week from Dc that he was looking to play today we missed his presence big time at the back.

Otherwise, pros - whilst minimal - Ogilvie ( apart from the square pass leading to their first goal)  looked very good going forward. Thompson very sound game on the left and Mingi looked sharp when he came on second half sub. 

I won't enter into the Cons only to say, get a right back asap; get a right winger second asap; AND Take lots of black cats on the coach to Hillsborough !!

I thought Rafferty was very good.  Certainly an upgrade on Freeman. He made two superb blocks and I did not notice any mistakes. Not to blame for either of their goals. 

I'd be interested to know what you saw that made you take against him. 

Swanson looked a bit young and out of his depth when he came on, but thats only first home game and he will not be first choice.
passing out from the back
Do we set up more or give more away playing that way? The teams we play against too?
Got Mnoga as right back too. Well covered there.
How is Mnoga doing so far, not seen any games yet? He has something about him and is obviously an incredible athlete. He just seemed to be a bit of a loose cannon at times but maybe he's maturing now and DC seems to rate him. Would be great to see another local lad come good.
I am curious too.

Hasn’t had much of a mention but he seems to be in the mix. A couple of years since I last saw him play and he’s still only 20.
Still a bit rash by the sound of it ...giving away the pen.
Good job they gave Walker the kick..nothing has changed
(23-07-2022, 05:51 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-07-2022, 05:23 PM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]The score could have been 0-3 ..,.,. there again if lady luck had been a little kinder in the six yard box 2-2. 

I thought Rafferty was very good.  Certainly an upgrade on Freeman. He made two superb blocks and I did not notice any mistakes. Not to blame for either of their goals. 

I'd be interested to know what you saw that made you take against him. 

Swanson looked a bit young and out of his depth when he came on, but thats only first home game and he will not be first choice.

Hmmmm....Eh???? Swanson wasnt even on the bench according  to official  team release...???...
Match report says he came on in the 77th minute
My morning after the night before view on yesterday's game:

Stadium looks good. South Stand transformation is remarkable - well done Pompey and the contractors.

Unlucky really to lose 0-2. Firqdays made the comment that it could have been 0-3 but equally could have been 2-2 which is absolutely right. We pretty much matched them most of the game. Not sure how near to a first team Coventry came with, but overall there was plenty of promise in our team effort.

Griffiths - 7: Big lad, made a couple of outstanding saves, might have done better with second goal, needs to be more aggressive in coming for the goal, but going to be fine this season
Rafferty - 7: Useful RB, needs a bit more time to bed in but will probably be OK
Mnoga - 6: Not really first team quality yet but will get there in time, a few too many mistakes. Raggett will be back next Sat which is what we definitely need
Robertson - 6: Pretty solid and will continue to be a good partner with Raggett.
Ogilvie - 7: Definitely Mr Reliable. Strong, good throw-ins. Probably needs to get further forward more often. Should be one of the first names on the team sheet.
Thompson - 6: Sort of OK, but not one of his best games, maybe he was missing working with Morrell.
Pack - 7: Had a good game, combative, creative in parts, worked hard. Going to get even better before too long.
Piggot - 7: Worked hard, a coupe of good chances, never whinged (unlike whasthisname that played for us the last few seasons). Had a couple f chances. Definitely a good buy
Reeco - 6: Has tons of skill and played very well in parts, but he loses the ball far too often. A good squad player, should only get better.
Jacobs - 6: A few glimpses of class, but didn't seem to get into the action as much as he should - maybe not fully fit?
Curtis - 8: My clear MOTM. Played beside Piggot most of the first half, more on the wing in the second. He was everywhere upfront, in midfield, in defence. Gave 100% throughout the game. Never shirked a tackle. Of course he was fouled or collided with various of the opposition many times, rolled around in agony and was clearly near to death on a number of occasions but miraculously recovered quickly (usually within 10 seconds each time) . We must keep him.
Subs:
Tunnicliffe - 6: Worked hard, didn't look too fit, but a good squad player
Swanson - 6: Some good runs but needs more time
Bishop - 7: Looks class, had a couple of chances, strong. Going to be a good partner with Piggott.
Mingi - 6: Had some really solid runs, but gave the ball away too often

DC - 6: First of all, the iPad seems to have gone. Couldn't see NC too well but didn't see him with an iPad either. Downside: Very noticeable that DC talks to /shouts at the players quite a lot which mostly they don't hear as his voice doesn't carry very well, and when they do hear then they seem to ignore him anyway. Upside: He gives them plenty of visible encouragement (thumbs up, clapping various moves etc). Pletny of time to prove himself now, it's mostly his team and I liked what I saw.

Over to you, good friends to agree or disagree!
Agree with all of that assessment. For me the one thing I think is missing is that player that can make things happen in the midfield. Maybe that can be Morrell if he was to be pushed more forward or Jacobs but he didn’t seem mobile enough for me yesterday. For the older readers a Neil Webb or Kevin Dillon type who could unlock defences with that killing pass and who would arrive late in the box to score.
I'd agree with most of that but I thought Griffiths had no chance with the second, but could have got the first which went pretty much through him into the centre of the goal, but to be fair was very firmly hit. 

It was the first time I'd seen Griffiths play and have to say I was disappointed with how physically slight he is. Very tall and very good hands but I would say he might lack the physical presence to dominate his box.   Which, by the way, is my biggest critisicm of Bass too. We'll see - a friendly when he didnt get too much to do is not the best game to judge him on.
I think Pack will be out Dillon, or for younger viewers, Michael Doyle this season.