TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Close ball Control
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Watching England Ladies smash Sweden last evening it was, again, amazing how they manage to receive a ball played in hard - sometimes at knee level, and then control and pass the ball - TO A TEAMATE - in one fluid movement.

I keep thinking about one of our players, who consistently receives similar types of passes. Result - ball bounces off about ten yards. 
Just saying.
Have to say I have zero interest in women's football - at least I though that was how I felt. Saw the 2012 Olympics Quarter Final live in London between France & Japan and thought it was about Under 12's standard. Watched the highlights of a couple of games since, and still unimpressed. But watched last night's Semi v Sweden and have to say I was very impressed. Lots of skill, a couple of really good goals, as well as a few howlers. I think they'd give us a pretty good game! I'm almost converted (to top-flight women's football, not gender conversion!)
(27-07-2022, 10:00 AM)Santa release Claus Wrote: [ -> ]Technically and athletically the players are streets ahead of where they were 10/20 years ago. The game is very slow though and they have so much time and space on the ball, and the goalkeeping is so laughable and makes a mockery of the idea that women's football is a professional sport. The Swedish keeper should arguably have saved all the goals last night relatively comfortably.

The sport would improve massively using slightly smaller pitches, balls and goals.

Oi, leave their balls alone...
Big Grin
Apart from playing in bikinis I can't see the game ever improving. The Gray/Keys FA Cup final summary is still one of TV's funniest moments.
(27-07-2022, 10:00 AM)Santa release Claus Wrote: [ -> ]Technically and athletically the players are streets ahead of where they were 10/20 years ago. The game is very slow though and they have so much time and space on the ball, and the goalkeeping is so laughable and makes a mockery of the idea that women's football is a professional sport. The Swedish keeper should arguably have saved all the goals last night relatively comfortably.

The sport would improve massively using slightly smaller pitches, balls and goals.

I would say the 4th she should've saved but the rest weren't her fault. The half volley for the 1st was unstoppable, the header for the 2nd her defenders got in a right muddle. The 3rd was just a great bit of improvisation which caught everyone by surprise. The 4th-yes she should have done far better.
There is some eye catching skill in these games, albeit @ a far slower pace than the mens game. The quickest team in this tournament was Spain imo.
Love the idea of them playing in bikinis as someone else said, maybe swapping bikini tops @ FT.... Big Grin
Usual Neanderthal comments, rather pathetic. Does it detract from your masculinity that the girls can play football too?

Cue lazy,  infantile replies to this including, but not limited to, the words "gay" "woke" "snowflake" "it's only bants" etc. etc.

The women's game, having shown huge promise in the 1920s, was hamstrung completely by the F.A. for over 50 years. It is not surprising it has taken so long for the sport to become professional with the lack of opportunity and general sexism that it has had to battle against (some absolute shining examples of which are on this board).

Have thoroughly enjoyed the football on offer, the skill level is fantastic. The commitment and desire the England players have shown puts some of the England men's teams in the shade from the not too distant past. There might have been some bad goalkeeping from the Swedish keeper last night, but then there's bad goalkeeping in the men's game too.

There's certainly a whole lot less histrionics on the pitch then the men's game. Want to see a football player "acting like a girl"? Just pick any one top flight match in the men's game. And the men don't have to cope with the debilitating effects of the menstrual cycle. Perhaps it's the men who need to toughen up?

The idea that the women's game should be played on smaller pitches, with smaller sized footballs, smaller goals etc is risible. What next? Larger dart boards for the ladies? A smaller running track? Make the rugby ball lady sized? I seriously doubt that there is a single professional player out there who would want that.
Points taken but on a whole goalkeeping within the ladies game is poor. It’s perhaps the one position that lets it down.
I think we have to judge them both as separate games ( mens and womens) and stop comparing,however, the big hurdle they’ll have soon is in the trans debate.
The errors and lack of brute physicality compared to the men's game are what makes it interesting. So much top level men's footy has become dull because of technical and tactical perfection. Give me women's footy (or Pompey) any dayz
(27-07-2022, 11:10 AM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]Usual Neanderthal comments, rather pathetic. Does it detract from your masculinity that the girls can play football too?

Cue lazy,  infantile replies to this including, but not limited to, the words "gay" "woke" "snowflake" "it's only bants" etc. etc.

The women's game, having shown huge promise in the 1920s, was hamstrung completely by the F.A. for over 50 years. It is not surprising it has taken so long for the sport to become professional with the lack of opportunity and general sexism that it has had to battle against (some absolute shining examples of which are on this board).

Have thoroughly enjoyed the football on offer, the skill level is fantastic. The commitment and desire the England players have shown puts some of the England men's teams in the shade from the not too distant past. There might have been some bad goalkeeping from the Swedish keeper last night, but then there's bad goalkeeping in the men's game too.

There's certainly a whole lot less histrionics on the pitch then the men's game. Want to see a football player "acting like a girl"? Just pick any one top flight match in the men's game. And the men don't have to cope with the debilitating effects of the menstrual cycle. Perhaps it's the men who need to toughen up?

The idea that the women's game should be played on smaller pitches, with smaller sized footballs, smaller goals etc is risible. What next? Larger dart boards for the ladies? A smaller running track? Make the rugby ball lady sized? I seriously doubt that there is a single professional player out there who would want that.

It is possible to not be remotely interested in women's football and not be sexist. Just saying....
(27-07-2022, 11:10 AM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]Usual Neanderthal comments, rather pathetic. Does it detract from your masculinity that the girls can play football too?

The women's teams physical size is on par with an U14 or U15 boys team - U14 & U15's Academy teams don't play on full sized pitches or use full sized goals. It's not a criticism to propose a smaller pitch for the women's game - it would enhance the game and the development of the skillset of the players plus make the game faster (hence why these boys teams age groups don't use full sized pitches - or goals)
(27-07-2022, 11:10 AM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]...What next? Larger dart boards for the ladies? A smaller running track? Make the rugby ball lady sized? I seriously doubt that there is a single professional player out there who would want that.

Btw women's rugby balls are smaller than men's.
(27-07-2022, 01:29 PM)Isley46 Wrote: [ -> ]

The women's teams physical size is on par with an U14 or U15 boys team - U14 & U15's Academy teams don't play on full sized pitches or use full sized goals. It's not a criticism to propose a smaller pitch for the women's game - it would enhance the game and the development of the skillset of the players plus make the game faster (hence why these boys teams age groups don't use full sized pitches - or goals)

I guess that's why Messi and Michael Owen played on smaller pitches then.

That thinking would prevent women playing in existing stadia and on nearly all pitches. It's a daft idea. Find a single woman who plays football professionally who thinks this is a good idea.
(27-07-2022, 01:25 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]

It is possible to not be remotely interested in women's football and not be sexist. Just saying....

Yes it is. Just like it's possible not to be interested in Rugby or Curling.

You just don't get many people saying I'm not interested in Mens Rugby, perhaps I would be if they swapped shirts at full time. That stuff is just plain creepy when it's said about Women's football.
(27-07-2022, 01:49 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-07-2022, 11:10 AM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]...What next? Larger dart boards for the ladies? A smaller running track? Make the rugby ball lady sized? I seriously doubt that there is a single professional player out there who would want that.

Incorrect. Both Women's and Men's rugby use size 5 rugby balls. It has been discussed, trialled once but never adopted.
(27-07-2022, 02:13 PM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-07-2022, 01:25 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes it is. Just like it's possible not to be interested in Rugby or Curling.

You just don't get many people saying I'm not interested in Mens Rugby, perhaps I would be if they swapped shirts at full time. That stuff is just plain creepy when it's said about Women's football.
It was a joke plain & simple, nothing creepy I assure you. I grew up in the era of Benny Hill etc, yeah it wasn't by todays standards pc. But @ the time it was believe it or not quite funny. But trust me it was a off the cuff remark nothing more nothing less. As I said upthread the skill on show is a bit of a eye opener. I also think that those criticising the woman goalies should have a look @ Englands. She's the best in the tournament imo.

Calm down love. Are you blobbing?
Don't fret. Soon we will have the delight of watching the ladies in bikinis strutting their stuff at the commonwealth games.
Who does the washing up while they’re playing their little game?
(27-07-2022, 02:10 PM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-07-2022, 01:29 PM)Isley46 Wrote: [ -> ]

I guess that's why Messi and Michael Owen played on smaller pitches then.

That thinking would prevent women playing in existing stadia and on nearly all pitches. It's a daft idea. Find a single woman who plays football professionally who thinks this is a good idea.

What about the married ones??
Well, my interest in England's men's football team has waned over the years to virtually zilch, so to be consistent it is the same with the England women's team.

As with England men's football Ihaven't watched any of the matches & don' t intend to either .
Usual suspects with their childish comments. Wow, these ladies really put a dent in your ego don't they.

No better than Westwood shouting about women shouldn't come to football. Two sides of the same coin.

I too grew up in the era of Benny Hill, Mind Your Language, etc etc. However, unlike some, I did manage to complete the process of growing up. Just requires a little bit of respect.
(27-07-2022, 03:45 PM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]Usual suspects with their childish comments. Wow, these ladies really put a dent in your ego don't they.

No better than Westwood shouting about women shouldn't come to football. Two sides of the same coin.

I too grew up in the era of Benny Hill, Mind Your Language, etc etc. However, unlike some, I did manage to complete the process of growing up. Just requires a little bit of respect.

Well if you form an opinion of someone over one sentence then...well that speaks volumes about you doesn't it if you get my drift?
Cheer up, life's too short.
People are making comments to wind you up, don’t take it so seriously.

Couldn’t care less if they play football but it’s of no interest to me.
(27-07-2022, 02:17 PM)teeftwo Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-07-2022, 01:49 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]

Incorrect. Both Women's and Men's rugby use size 5 rugby balls. It has been discussed, trialled once but never adopted.

Incorrect, both do indeed use size 5 for matches but women's regulation size 5 is smaller than men's standard size 5.
Pages: 1 2 3 4