TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Watford is where its at
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
We used to criticise as we only bought in ex pompey players to manage around the place. 
I'm not convinced that picking ex Watford players is any better a plan. 

I really hope life after Kenny might leave a little room for some blue blood to return.
Who would you recommend ?
Ex managers Avram Grant, Appleton. Not sure any ex Pompey spring to mind. Wouldn't want Sol or James & Herman. Kit Symons maybe or Darren Moore.
I reckon in another five years time, Matty Taylor might be worth a shout. He's done his coaching badges and is currently earning his stripes at Spurs.
Gary O. They seem very happy with what he'd doing with Liverpool's under-23s
Darren Moore,Gary O both good shouts
How many Watford players has KJ recruited then? Maybe 2% of the entire intake under his rein.
Why do we want ex-players to return? Makes no sense.
(16-02-2021, 08:45 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]We used to criticise as we only bought in ex pompey players to manage around the place. 
I'm not convinced that picking ex Watford players is any better a plan. 

I really hope life after Kenny might leave a little room for some blue blood to return.

One question .... 

in the history of the club have we ever had success with a manager who was an ex-player ?

Romantic though the notion is, the fact is that ex-players don't lead to success - just ask Andy Awford & Guy Whittingham.

Let's make new Pompey legends like we did with Frank Burrows, Bobby Campbell, Jim Smith, Harry Redknapp (?), even Paul Cook by appointing the best manager for the job whenever we need one, not making the choice on sentiment alone. Yes, it could be that an ex-player is the best for the job but lets pick them because they are best for the job not because they are ex-Pompey.
(16-02-2021, 09:42 AM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Ex managers Avram Grant, Appleton. Not sure any ex Pompey spring to mind. Wouldn't want Sol or James & Herman. Kit Symons maybe or Darren Moore.

Appleton or Moore I'd be more than happy with. As much as I like Avram his links with Zahavi would rule that out.
I was thinking more down the system at youth level. Where we did have some good success with players with a little more local knowledge and contacts. It was a shame we made Awford manager when we did as the youth system was running the best for a long time under him and Hards.