TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Referees
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Nigel Pearson called them "consistently poor" after his Bristol City, with 10 men, beat Luton 2.0 last night. He had no beef about a Red for City but felt a Luton player should have gone too. City have had a bad run with Refs of late, 3 penalty decisions which went against them in the same game were admitted to be wrong by the new Head of EFL refereeing Kevin Friend.  I thought the Ref last night could have easily given a Red for the 2nd minute challenge, he didnt he gave a yellow which upset DC and got him a yellow. Apart from that for me he had a better game than the Lincoln Ref but that's only my opinion. Saturday could be tasty with Barton and DC on the touchline. They've appointed a Championship level official, Gavin Ward (the Baby faced one).  I groaned when I read that, see what you think Saturday
Cbridge could not of complained had he been sent off. It was a horror tackle.
Having said that it signalled Cambridge's intent to stand firm.

There were several darts through the middle where their no 6 brought down both Scarlett and Bishop. The latter changing direction twice to pass him ffs.

Having said that, Curtis just needs to cut out the diving, I would've booked him for simulation although he may have got away with it because it was so badly simulated. Not needed, get on with it
When managers stop coaching playes to cheat, dive, pull shirts, waste time and all the rest, then they can complain about referees.
Clough took two small clubs to the pinnacle of Europe by refusing to do any of that rubbish.
Another horror challenge, well it looked like it from where I sit. Only given a yellow, after that soft red given against us at Oxford last season I do wonder what opposing players have to do to get a red. Best wishes to Thommo, it didnt look good as they wheeled him past us. Gavin Ward has never been my favourite ref, I can't remember him ever giving us anything before today. It was a pen but Barton I'm sure will argue they should have had one not long after (I do remember Ward was the 4th Official who got Cookie and an Argyle coach sent to the stand in our 1st leg play off when we lost over 2 legs). What did you all think ?
(20-08-2022, 05:07 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]Another horror challenge, well it looked like it from where I sit. Only given a yellow, after that soft red given against us at Oxford last season I do wonder what opposing players have to do to get a red. Best wishes to Thommo, it didnt look good as they wheeled him past us. Gavin Ward has never been my favourite ref, I can't remember him ever giving us anything before today. It was a pen but Barton I'm sure will argue they should have had one not long after (I do remember Ward was the 4th Official who got Cookie and an Argyle coach sent to the stand in our 1st leg play off when we lost over 2 legs). What did you all think ?

We were right up in the corner of the South Stand. From there it looked like Thompson came in hard from the blind side of the player, once he hit the challenge we could not see much but our initial feeling was that he had done himself. Quite likely wrong and looking forward to seeing a replay.
Ok Hammiie thanks
Who would be a ref these days? Your every decision dissected in minute detail and then the abuse on social media. It’s a very different job than it used to be.

I don’t think they have got worse, they just get more coverage due to the 50 camera angles and computer graphics.
To be fair they also got a lot of abuse at grounds in the old days. Ron Challis being one who always got a warm reception from Pompey fans.
(20-08-2022, 06:11 PM)Ain’t got a Danny Wrote: [ -> ]To be fair they also got a lot of abuse at grounds in the old days. Ron Challis being one who always got a warm reception from Pompey fans.

Yeah for 90 mins, 1 bad decision now and they are on the back pages, social media, SSN…….
I will never forget Roger Milford, he was from Bristol...........
I do think VAR should be scrapped and the ref should have a pitch side TV as American football have done for years. Let any of the various officials suggest the ref has a quick look. Maybe give the managers a video appeal or two as per cricket? BUT keep it all on the pitch with the ref and his own screen. Would also let the players enjoy the drinks breaks they so like!
Roger, Roger, give us a wave!
(20-08-2022, 05:39 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-08-2022, 05:07 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]Another horror challenge, well it looked like it from where I sit. Only given a yellow, after that soft red given against us at Oxford last season I do wonder what opposing players have to do to get a red. Best wishes to Thommo, it didnt look good as they wheeled him past us. Gavin Ward has never been my favourite ref, I can't remember him ever giving us anything before today. It was a pen but Barton I'm sure will argue they should have had one not long after (I do remember Ward was the 4th Official who got Cookie and an Argyle coach sent to the stand in our 1st leg play off when we lost over 2 legs). What did you all think ?

We were right up in the corner of the South Stand. From there it looked like Thompson came in hard from the blind side of the player, once he hit the challenge we could not see much but our initial feeling was that he had done himself. Quite likely wrong and looking forward to seeing a replay.

Thompson put himself (quite firmly) between the player and the ball to shepherd it out to touch. The Rovers player went straight through him for the ball. Without the injury it was a definite yellow, but Ward could have decided the injury proved it was dangerous play and made it red, but the way Thomspon himself went in probably saved him from that.  On balance I think the ref got that right, as he did virtually every important decision in the game ...our's was a clear penalty, their's was a clear dive - my only criticism would be that he didn't book Collins for simulation, and the bloke that feigned death when Ogilvie's hand hit his face a few minutes later.
(20-08-2022, 06:48 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-08-2022, 05:39 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]

Thompson put himself (quite firmly) between the player and the ball to shepherd it out to touch. The Rovers player went straight through him for the ball. Without the injury it was a definite yellow, but Ward could have decided the injury proved it was dangerous play and made it red, but the way Thomspon himself went in probably saved him from that.  On balance I think the ref got that right, as he did virtually every important decision in the game ...our's was a clear penalty, their's was a clear dive - my only criticism would be that he didn't book Collins for simulation, and the bloke that feigned death when Ogilvie's hand hit his face a few minutes later.
and the playing of the advantage for our third goal!
Cowley quoted as saying "Glenn Whelan is an excellent professional and I don't think for one minute he meant to do it"
(20-08-2022, 07:17 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]Cowley quoted as saying "Glenn Whelan is an excellent professional and I don't think for one minute he meant to do it"

and "Thompson's studs stuck in the turn which made the injury worse"
Also that he didn't think either "penalties" were pens. I though ours was, too far away to see their shout soon after.
Ours definitely was , I was inline with it , the Rovers player caught Pigott trailing leg.
(20-08-2022, 07:17 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]Cowley quoted as saying "Glenn Whelan is an excellent professional and I don't think for one minute he meant to do it"

That's class
(20-08-2022, 07:32 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Ours definitely was , I was inline with it , the Rovers player caught Pigott trailing leg.

I had a good view of the incident for our penalty, it looked like a simple collision and was a very soft penalty imo. I’ve watched the video of it several times and nothing has changed my mind on that.

I’m glad we got it, obviously, but I think we would all have been up in arms if it had been awarded against us.

The one Brizzle claimed looked more of a penalty in my opinion but it was up the other end so I wasn’t close enough to be sure, I also haven’t seen a replay of it.

Sometimes you need to take off the blue tinted specs, not during the match of course  Smile .
(21-08-2022, 01:18 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-08-2022, 07:32 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Ours definitely was , I was inline with it , the Rovers player caught Pigott trailing leg.

I had a good view of the incident for our penalty, it looked like a simple collision and was a very soft penalty imo. I’ve watched the video of it several times and nothing has changed my mind on that.

I’m glad we got it, obviously, but I think we would all have been up in arms if it had been awarded against us.

The one Brizzle claimed looked more of a penalty in my opinion but it was up the other end so I wasn’t close enough to be sure, I also haven’t seen a replay of it.

Sometimes you need to take off the blue tinted specs, not during the match of course  Smile .

Watch the replay of the Collins one and you will clearly see him 'doing a perez' and sticking a leg out to make contact as he dived.  Even the pundits on the EFL show spotted that and commented on it. Ref did very well not to fall for it. 

And Pigott nicked the ball away from their defender who then collided with him. Penalty all day long. Ward had a clear view and did not hesitate to give it.
Lester Shapter was the ref we loved to hate in the 70's. Anyone remember him?
(21-08-2022, 03:40 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-08-2022, 01:18 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]

Watch the replay of the Collins one and you will clearly see him 'doing a perez' and sticking a leg out to make contact as he dived.  Even the pundits on the EFL show spotted that and commented on it. Ref did very well not to fall for it. 

And Pigott nicked the ball away from their defender who then collided with him. Penalty all day long. Ward had a clear view and did not hesitate to give it.

If that was a pen ‘all day long’ there would be a fucking lot of penalties.

We all had a clear view of it too, as we were looking right down on it, we probably had a better view than the ref. None of us thought it was a pen at the time and looking at the replay we still don’t think it was. 

Your specs are particularly blue tinted methinks.
My blue tinted specs and my varifocal ones both thought it a penalty. It’s ok to disagree , it’s football that’s what we’re meant to do. It would be really boring if we all agreed
(21-08-2022, 03:52 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Lester Shapter was the ref we loved to hate in the 70's. Anyone remember him?

Certainly do. He thought he was bigger than the game
(21-08-2022, 10:13 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-08-2022, 03:52 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Lester Shapter was the ref we loved to hate in the 70's. Anyone remember him?

Certainly do. He thought he was bigger than the game

Met him a couple of times and he told me he loved Fratton Park because of the crowd reaction. Seemed to thrive in controversy having famously sent off George Best at the khazi known as The Dell in 1976. Best was playing for a Bobby Campbell-managed Fulham and I believe it may have been the first red card ever used in top flight professional football in this country having been introduced that very day. 
Yes, I found footage of the game on the internet but with Fulham's opponents winning 4-1 in the end, I will not be posting it on here.
Pages: 1 2