TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Yesterday's Game
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This was my first game at FP for about 10 years mainly due to family commitments. 

These are just my overall observations on what's happened since I last attended.

Parking is still a major problem & yesterday's rail strike didn't help & wasn't impressed with the club car park or price.

First thing to sort out on Monday Morning is the dreadful P.A. system which is inaudible fromthe North Stand.

Bars & toilets 100% better than before & saw they had a pie & a pint for £7.50 offer& pre - poured pints in anticipation of a fan surge on a warm day!

Seats have changed a bit plastic now but can remember the good old wooden ones which fans used to jump up on down on to create an amazing sound.

Digital Scoreboard needs to be a lot bigger height & wider.

Pre-Match sprinklers one end only then centre circle but nothing at Milton end?

Programme only £3, amazing good value as expected to pay at least £5 with Great Pic of Jimmy Dickenson.

My seat was in the North Stand Upper by the Half Way Line so good observation point except for a couple of girders blocking the penalty spots both ends.

Great atmosphere, & largest crowd of the season: 18,842 & only a few empty spaces in Fratton End & Milton End due to crowd control.

We were playing 4-4-2 with Bishop & Jacobs upfront. In my humble opinion Jacobs should be the first name on the team sheet. Everything went through him until he tired & was subbed near the end of the game. He was paying on the lhs & putting in some good crosses, accurate passes, quality set plays. Th eteam revolves around him basically. D.C. now realises that.

I liked the long throw ins from Pack which caused panic in their box everytime but need to capitilise more on these.

I couldn't see the Wheelan on Thompson tackle which sounded really bad but from soundings after it wasn't completely Wheelan's fault as Thompson caught his studs in the turf which compounded the problem. i believe it's a double leg break so wish him a speedy recovery. I can't believe he had to be wheeled round half the pitch to exit that needs improving.

Lowery sub came on technically good but too small & being pushed off the ball too easily.

Pompey on top took a while to push home advantage & Ogilvie's headed goal was a pearl from a Jacob's corner.

We continued with lots of good possession & Dale impressed with a great run down the right & an even better cross which deserved a goal.

H.T. 1-0 but should have been 2-0 at least. 7 minutes injury time.

After the break took time to find our feet & Rovers took advantage with a good cross from the right & Collins slammed home from close range 1-1.

Westwood got the FP going with his bell but was more impressed by the Drummer our 12th man!

Pompey raise their game & the two subs came onat right time & changed the game so credit to DC there.

Scarlett, would scare any defence in any division so quick & skilful just lacks experience with finishing but that will come.

Piggot's control for a tall guy is good & won the penalty with his runinto the box. Didn't get a great view of it but will go with the ref's decision there. Pan well taken low in the corner 2-1.

Scarlett then looked odds onto score with a header & should have buried it but his timing was slightly out.

But made amends with his run & pinpoint cross for Dale to score 3-1.

Their penalty claim was worth a shout but collins on replay was looking for it sticking his trailing leg out then a few histrionics on the turf going down. Ref was right again I believe Not enough contact.

My MOM Jacobs but Big mentions for Dale, Ogilvie, Rafferty, Pack.

Collins & Greenslade for them.

Ref was Not Great & took ages to make decisions but felt he got the major ones right but certainly Not Championship standard.

7 Minutes Extra time which seemed a lot but maybe ref decide to be consistent with First - half extra time.

Really enjoyed the day & went with a fellow life long Pompey fan.

Also, really impressed with the ground improvements & can see how we get up to 20,000 capacity easily but think 25,000 will take time. 30,000 looks unrealistic to me. 

D.C. apears to be doing a really good job on a tight budget  but if Hirst & Hayden can be added somehow I'm tempted to put a tenner on promotion.
"This was my first game at FP for about 10 years mainly due to family commitments."

O' No you will set them off, you can only have a opinion if you go to every game week in week out!!...

Glad you enjoyed the game m8, hopefully you can get to a few more...
Thanks, I'm Not local any more but will definitely try to go to as many games as possible.

But will make sure I wear the right B-focals next time or even take binoculars as up in the Gods it's difficult seeing th eother side of the gound & reading the shirt Nos!
Good crowd. It was a sellout. Online before the game it showed as a sellout. We need a bigger capacity ASAP. Do it now, don't wait until we are in the championship. 30,000 is achievable easily with a new North stand tier etc. 25k is possible too by filling in the corners etc.
(21-08-2022, 03:03 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]This was my first game at FP for about 10 years mainly due to family commitments. 

These are just my overall observations on what's happened since I last attended.

Parking is still a major problem & yesterday's rail strike didn't help & wasn't impressed with the club car park or price.

First thing to sort out on Monday Morning is the dreadful P.A. system which is inaudible fromthe North Stand.

Bars & toilets 100% better than before & saw they had a pie & a pint for £7.50 offer& pre - poured pints in anticipation of a fan surge on a warm day!

Seats have changed a bit plastic now but can remember the good old wooden ones which fans used to jump up on down on to create an amazing sound.

Programme only £3, amazing good value as expected to pay at least £5 with Great Pic of Jimmy Dickenson.

My seat was in the North Stand Upper by the Half Way Line so good observation point except for a couple of girders blocking the penalty spots both ends.

Great atmosphere, & largest crowd of the season: 18,842 & only a few empty spaces in Fratton End & Milton End due to crowd control.

We were playing 4-4-2 with Bishop & Jacobs upfront. In my humble opinion Jacobs should be the first name on the team sheet. Everything went through him until he tired & was subbed near the end of the game. He was paying on the lhs & putting in some good crosses, accurate passes, quality set plays. Th eteam revolves around him basically. D.C. now realises that.

I liked the long throw ins from Pack which caused panic in their box everytime but need to capitilise more on these.

I couldn't see the Wheelan on Thompson tackle which sounded really bad but from soundings after it wasn't completely Wheelan's fault as Thompson caught his studs in the turf which compounded the problem. i believe it's a double leg break so wish him a speedy recovery. I can't believe he had to be wheeled round half the pitch to exit that needs improving.

Lowery sub came on technically good but too small & being pushed off the ball too easily.

Pompey on top took a while to push home advantage & Ogilvie's headed goal was a pearl from a Jacob's corner.

We continued with lots of good possession & Dale impressed with a great run down the right & an even better cross which deserved a goal.

After the break took time to find our feet & Rovers took advantage with a good cross from the right & Collins slammed home from close range 1-1.

Westwood got the FP going with his bell but was more impressed by the Drummer our 12th man!

Pompey raise their game & the two subs came onat right time & changed the game so credit to DC there.

Scarlett, would scare any defence in any division so quick & skilful just lacks experience with finishing but that will come.

Piggot's control for a tall guy is good & won the penalty with his runinto the box. Didn't get a great view of it but will go with the ref's decision there. Pan well taken low in the corner 2-1.

Scarlett then looked odds onto score with a header & should have buried it but his timing was slightly out.

Their penalty claim was worth a shout but collins on replay was looking for it sticking his trailing leg out then a few histrionics on the turf going down. Ref was right again I believe Not enough contact.

Ref was Not Great & took ages to make decisions but felt he got the major ones right but certainly Not Championship standard.

7 Minutes Extra time which seemed a lot but maybe ref decide to be consistent with First - half extra time.

Also, really impressed with the ground improvements & can see how we get up to 20,000 capacity easily but think 25,000 will take time. 30,000 looks unrealistic to me. 

D.C. apears to be doing a really good job on a tight budget  but if Hirst & Hayden can be added somehow I'm tempted to put a tenner on promotion.

Good summing up Mikey, just to say it was Curtis partnering Bishop up top not Jacobs. Not sure I like Jacobs wide as his natural instinct appears to be slightly inside instead of wide left. Very happy with the performance. We look decent.
(21-08-2022, 03:38 PM)BlueArmy scummer cünt Wrote: [ -> ]Good crowd. It was a sellout. Online before the game it showed as a sellout. We need a bigger capacity ASAP. Do it now, don't wait until we are in the championship. 30,000 is achievable easily with a new North stand tier etc. 25k is possible too by filling in the corners etc.
How would you know scummer
Yes, Curtis was up top with Bishop, Jacobs was wide left.
There wouldn't have been a good cross from Bristol Rovers if Raggett had not dilly dallied and lost possession.

Connor Ogilvie was my MOM - hardly put a foot wrong & scored a great header.
(21-08-2022, 04:14 PM)bluebollox Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-08-2022, 03:03 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]This was my first game at FP for about 10 years mainly due to family commitments. 

Good summing up Mikey, just to say it was Curtis partnering Bishop up top not Jacobs. Not sure I like Jacobs wide as his natural instinct appears to be slightly inside instead of wide left. Very happy with the performance. We look decent.
Agreed BB I was looking at a pre-match line up on a friend's mobile from Fot Mob. I thought it was a bit odd & had difficulty seeing Curtis on the far touchline!
Regarding the capacity, the quickest thing we can do is to allow and encourage ST holders to free up their seat when they cannot be there. Like the £5 off your next ST offer previously in place.
We were in the upper south as that was all that were left, just next to and in front of us there were at least ten empty seats. Possibly due to the rail strike or supporters still being on holiday.