TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: 5 game report
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The first half apart at sheff wed, Pompey have been 'at it' and looking fantastic!
Maybe that's a bit strong but considering where we mostly here thought, it's a great surprise.
The first half at Wednesday had me thinking we may struggle this season. 
Pompey worked out where they had to change and change they did. We looked powerful and capable of scoring everytime we went forward. 
Lincoln came and parked the bus. They came for a point and left with one, celebrating it as well.
Since then Pompey have toiled, found the answers and both managed games ala Cheltenham and stepped on the gas to deal with both Cambridge and Bristol Rovers. 
In between they rolled over Cardiff so fully that it was embarassing for the Welsh side.
I was guilty as anyone else in doubting DC and his transfer market activity.
Marlon Pack wanted to play for his home town side and DC got lucky with him. Pack is simply too good for this league and is the best midfielder in league 1 bar none including Bannan at Wednesday.
The rest have come in and added to the group, they are the right characters and this for me is DC's real impact.
I still think we are a definite top 8 side but given the first 5 games we fully deserve to be where we are.
Looking at the rest of the division as it stands shows how difficult a league this years league 1 is.
But safe to say, no one is going to get an easy ride at fratton which is getting to the fortress standard again or indeed away from home.
The fans are right behind Pompey and this impetus gained can not be allowed to go away.

Play Up Pompey
Good start.

As expected, we will beat a lot of the lesser teams but will fall short against the best.

We will finish around 6th to 10th. In my opinion.
We weren’t great against Lincoln and we didn’t change tactics to combat them. Also, the first half against Cambridge ( until we equalised) wasn’t great either, all possession and no thrust . However, as you say the 2nd half against Sheff Wed, the 2nd half against Cambridge and the demolition of Bris Rvrs have been fantastic. In fact I’ve seen more football played by Pompey in the last two home games than I did throughout the Jackass era.
I thought against Cambridge we bossed the first half. You have to give credit to Cambridge for being compact and robust in defence, whilst their transition to attack was swift and powered by a Pompey target in Shilow Tracey. As soon as we scored Cambridge wobbled even before half time, after it, they just couldn't keep up with us in pace or thought.
Lincoln was disappointing but that came from z team that defended with almost zero attacking threat. The only disappointment there was as you stated, a lack of imagination from DC or a translation of his orders on the park by pompey.
It's still early days but confidence is high for a very good reason.

We seem to be the real deal this season. Quality all over the pitch and on the bench too.

It's fun seeing us roll lesser teams over but I'm really looking forward to seeing us against the top teams. I want to see our best against their best.
I heard we're going to fall short against the best, unfortunately.
Well sheff wed were I consider, right up there.
Ipswich for sure will be there. Derby maybe and Bolton too.
After that, I'm not so sure
To be fair to our team Lincoln made decent start until Peterbrough yesterday.
We are looking good but there are some seriously strong teams in this division. As ever the relegated teams are particularly strong because of their being allowed to spend more money than the teams already here.
Peterborough. Absolutely a good shout