TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Matt Clarke
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
He is a bit of a strange one for me I was sure he would have done well in the premiership. 

Better player then Webster for us. After a Player of the Year season for the Baggies last season you would think he would get a shot at the Prem. 

With a year left on his contract hopefully he sees the season out. We get promoted and we pick him up on a free at the end of the season..... Fingers Crossed.
Am expecting him to go back to the Championship on loan before the transfer window ends.
(21-08-2022, 04:18 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]He is a bit of a strange one for me I was sure he would have done well in the premiership. 

Better player then Webster for us. After a Player of the Year season for the Baggies last season you would think he would get a shot at the Prem. 

With a year left on his contract hopefully he sees the season out. We get promoted and we pick him up on a free at the end of the season..... Fingers Crossed.

I thought he was getting his shot at the prem this season. 

Haven't Brighton kept him and not sent him on loan this season ?
He won player of the season on loan at Derby 19/20 as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby_County_F.C.
(21-08-2022, 04:56 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-08-2022, 04:18 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]He is a bit of a strange one for me I was sure he would have done well in the premiership. 

He hasn't made their bench yet Deep. They have a League Cup game at Forest Green Wednesday, maybe he will get a long awaited debut. I know one of our ST holders who knows a Brighton player very well. She doesnt think Matt will ever get a look in, too many good defenders ahead of him in the squad all 3 seasons he has been there, hence 3 loans
(21-08-2022, 05:03 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]

He hasn't made their bench yet Deep. They have a League Cup game at Forest Green Wednesday, maybe he will get a long awaited debut. I know one of our ST holders who knows a Brighton player very well. She doesnt think Matt will ever get a look in, too many good defenders ahead of him in the squad all 3 seasons he has been there, hence 3 loans

Brighton just bought to Clarke to stop him joining one of the other premier league bottom feeders. It's the way of the PL and makes a mockery of them squinnying about having to play so many games.
(23-08-2022, 02:21 PM)Lawrence Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-08-2022, 05:03 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]

Brighton just bought to Clarke to stop him joining one of the other premier league bottom feeders. It's the way of the PL and makes a mockery of them squinnying about having to play so many games.

You could be right.  I've no idea what goes on behind the scenes, but it feels as if he has been treated quite shabbily by Brighton.  I'd have liked to see him recreate his partnership with Webster. Brighton could end up making a decent profit on him without having done a sausage to further his development.  He could just as easily have gone to Derby or WBA from us. On the other hand, there's nothing to stop other Prem clubs from putting in an offer for him - I'm surprised none apparently has, (as I'd think him a very low risk signing) including those up the M27 - or him from requesting for a transfer.  Agents (I assume he has one) are usually only too keen to grab a slice of a fee. Came across a piece today that suggested that Middlesbrough might be interested, though I reckon he could do better.  Maybe he hasn't developed as hoped  - I've not seen him live since he left us - but 2 more player of the season awards at different clubs doesn't suggest that.
Yes he is being linked with a move to Middlesborough
Looks like he is being sold to Boro, not loaned. £2.25m rumoured.
£2.25 is an absolute bargain. How many left footed ball playing CB's are there who never make a mistake? Even doubling that price is good value. Lucky Middlesborough.
(23-08-2022, 03:48 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]£2.25 is an absolute bargain. How many left footed ball playing CB's are there who never make a mistake? Even doubling that price is good value. Lucky Middlesborough.

Absolutely, as you say, even double that would be a good deal. Remarkable that a current premier league club hasn't snapped him up - what's to lose?
A player that in the last 4 season's, has won player of the season 3 times, with 3 different clubs. And Brighton didn't even give him one game.... Is f*cking mad to me..
(23-08-2022, 04:51 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]A player that in the last 4 season's, has won player of the season 3 times, with 3 different clubs. And  Brighton didn't even give him one game.... Is f*cking mad to me..

Sort of sums up the prem. Too much money too many players. The managers whinge about too many games but don't use half the players they have.
Perhaps players should have the right to a free transfer if they are fit and play less than five games in a season.
Good business by Middlesbrough - still think we will see Clarke in The Premiership.
Agreed, really classy player like Webster.

No idea why Brighton are selling him!
3 year deal done and dusted with a further year option
(23-08-2022, 06:50 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed, really classy player like Webster.

How would you bleedin know???? Big Grin

Of course, we’ve seen him play in the lower leagues and he looked a class apart. Pack looks good for this league but he’s not regarded as being anything special in the Championship.
Maybe Clarke isn’t as good as we’d like to think he is. Perhaps he’s not on the same league as Brighton’s other centre halves.
(25-08-2022, 01:09 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-08-2022, 06:50 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Agreed, really classy player like Webster.

Of course, we’ve seen him play in the lower leagues and he looked a class apart. Pack looks good for this league but he’s not regarded as being anything special in the Championship.
Maybe Clarke isn’t as good as we’d like to think he is. Perhaps he’s not on the same league as Brighton’s other centre halves.

He won player of the season at two Championship clubs, this tells me he is up to Championship grade.

Did you even see him play??, Matt Clarke is class!!.   I hope he gets his chance in the Prem and Brighton get to see what they missed out on...
It may be for various reasons namely the Manager for some reason doesn't rate him or he gets injured & isn't quite the same player when he returns.
(25-08-2022, 06:04 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]
(25-08-2022, 01:09 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]

He won player of the season at two Championship clubs, this tells me he is up to Championship grade.

Did you even see him play??, Matt Clarke is class!!.   I hope he gets his chance in the Prem and Brighton get to see what they missed out on...

Yeah, I did see him play and I rated him extremely highly but I saw him play in a lower division, not in the championship or the premier league. Amongst players who are, understandably, far superior, he obviously wouldn’t have the same impact. Brighton obviously didn’t think he was better than they already had.
(25-08-2022, 06:44 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]It may be for various reasons namely the Manager for some reason doesn't rate him or he gets injured & isn't quite the same player when he returns.

We know all to well about when a manager doesn’t want a player!
Clarke hasn’t had a chance to show what he can do in the Premier League.

I wonder who picks the teams at some of these clubs. At one stage I thought Cristiano Ronaldo and his agent were calling the shots at Man U.
Dont you think prem clubs are aware he has won fans poty awards etc and had a good look at him?

Generally  the worst judge of players are fans, too much emotion and too little objectivity involved.   

The Pro scouts have seen flaws which he won't get away with in the prem I suspect, there can be no other explanation, he was loved at Pompey and love is blind...
Let's hope Boro get promoted & he gets to play in the Premier League.

Makes you wonder why Brighton bought him in the first place?
I hadn’t really entertained the idea that Brighton’s recruitment team are Pompey fans. We know the manager isn’t.
Pages: 1 2