TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Griffiths
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know he is a young keeper but surely we loan someone to give us extra quality and consistency almost immediately? 

Too many times he seems to just stand there flat footed caught out 

Two goals last night I thought he should have been better ….
Yes, agreed. Two really poor goals to concede from the keepers perspective.

Curtis scored two great goals though. Having seen the 2 mins of highlights it seems similar to Saturday in that if we had taken our chances, it would have been an easy win.

I'm expecting a better defensive performance on Sat, following Danny's post match comments.
Sorry, but as per previous posts - Alex BASS certainly as good, if not better !
If Bass played for Lincoln DC would have snapped him up
He was decent Saturday. He also played behind pretty much a completely different defence and no defensive midfielder last night!? Bass is not better and bazunu had some dodgy games at the start of his time here!
Not convinced by Griffiths so far. Danger is the defence might start to lose confidence in him and subsequently make mistakes trying to defend without him. Time will tell.
I think he’ll be ok but he really should’ve done better for all 3 last night. The first two were saveable ?? and his positioning for the third was poor.
Awful positioning and anticipation for the second, but without that I don't think he would have attracted any criticism for the other two.
he just seems a pretty average young keeper, if so, unless we are looking to buy him, does not seem the best option for a loan. For a promotion side we need a dominant keeper who builds confidence in his defence as we saw with the change of keeper to get promoted from league 2, or a youngster of our own who we can develop and keep
(24-08-2022, 12:24 PM)Daniel Wrote: [ -> ]He was decent Saturday. He also played behind pretty much a completely different defence and no defensive midfielder last night!? Bass is not better and bazunu had some dodgy games at the start of his time here!

Always difficult to comment from highlights but the defence certainly looked weaker without Thompson in front of them.  Will be interesting to see if DC takes some rapid action to cover his absence - could be critical to his plans.
I'd have said Pack's absence was more of a factor - he's the defensive midfielder who shields the defence.
We should have given Josh Oluwayemi a run out. Been underwhelmed by Griffiths I can't see why West Brom think so highly of him. Time will tell, but hopefully we do not drop to many points before we make the change..

Christmas
S.O.S Craig MacGillivray
We haven’t lost too many points so far.

Newport’s goals were well placed shots.

We move on.
(24-08-2022, 05:20 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]We haven’t lost too many points so far.

We move on.

Did you see the second goal!!... Well placed into his hands, must have had oil on his gloves.

But we have played teams we should be beating.. We need him in the big games, because that is where the season is won or lost.

Teams at the top will have far more shots on our goal.. And will he be up for it??.
He played well enough in both games at Fratton Park last week , I think we are in danger of exaggerating the problem here.  He has probably made fewer mistakes at this stage of the season than Bazunu did.
So far I would say he is the worse keeper since Ryan Allsop.

We have improved all over the pitch apart from in goal. I know we had Bazunu last season.

But I would have.

Bass
MacGillivray
Bazunu

All ahead of him.

He will be our Achilles heel this season.
(24-08-2022, 04:47 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I'd have said Pack's absence was more of a factor - he's the defensive midfielder who shields the defence.

Maybe, although Pack was on the pitch for their winning goal and Newport just bypassed him.  I would have said on the matches I've seen this season that Pack has been pretty influential in driving the team forward and played key roles in goals against Sheffield & Bristol and Thompson sat deeper but I have got no doubt that Pack could sit further back - just would n't want to loose the quality of his drive forward.
As someone else said yesterday, if we win on Saturday no-one will care about last night. One of the issues that was apparent last night was that we weren't going into tackles as hard as we would in a league game, which seems eminently sensible to me.
(24-08-2022, 05:28 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]
(24-08-2022, 05:20 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]We haven’t lost too many points so far.

We move on.

Did you see the second goal!!... Well placed into his hands, must have had oil on his gloves.

But we have played teams we should be beating.. We need him in the big games, because that is where the season is won or lost.

Teams at the top will have far more shots on our goal.. And will he be up for it??.

Yep, watched it a few times. Going the wrong way, changing direction and his hands couldn’t reach it.
Takling about teams we should be beating I don't think too many would have had us down to tonk Cardiff 3-0 at their place.
We beat a sub-standard Cardiff 3-0

6 of the players in the starting lineup that night has not started or come on in any other game this season....2 have come on from the bench and 3 have started a game. Sounds better then it was.

Alnwick
Daley-Campbell
Denham
Nelson (Start)
Bagan (Start)
King
Ralls (From Bench)
Tanner
Whyte
Philogene-Bidace (Start)
M Harris (From Bench)
(24-08-2022, 08:45 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]We beat a sub-standard Cardiff 3-0

6 of the players in the starting lineup that night has not started or come on in any other game this season....2 have come on from the bench and 3 have started a game.  Sounds better then it was.

Alnwick
Daley-Campbell
Denham
Nelson        (Start)
Bagan        (Start)
King
Ralls            (From Bench)
Tanner
Whyte
Philogene-Bidace  (Start)
M Harris    (From Bench)
tough to keep motivated if you are not going to get games
I don't care about last night. We played some of the best football I have seen since we last got promoted. Every reason to enjoy watching this team.
(24-08-2022, 08:45 PM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]We beat a sub-standard Cardiff 3-0

6 of the players in the starting lineup that night has not started or come on in any other game this season....2 have come on from the bench and 3 have started a game.  Sounds better then it was.

Alnwick
Daley-Campbell
Denham
Nelson        (Start)
Bagan        (Start)
King
Ralls            (From Bench)
Tanner
Whyte
Philogene-Bidace  (Start)
M Harris    (From Bench)

League one Pompey beat an established Championship side.

No goals were let in by Griffiths.

League one Pompey were beaten by lower league Newport, who scored three well taken goals.  It happens.
(25-08-2022, 12:32 AM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]I don't care about last night. We played some of the best football I have seen since we last got promoted. Every reason to enjoy watching this team.

I agree with you, the football is enjoyable to watch this season so far. Best we have played for a few seasons. I just feel the keeper is not the quality keeper we need, and is no better then Bass.
Pages: 1 2