TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Port Vale Memories
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Must have been there 5 or 6 times with Pompey, though many of those are forgotten in the midst of time.

Best memory was in April 1980. Was midweek, Pompey were 2-0 down and hadn't won away in the league since the autumn. We fought back to win 3-2 then went on a great run to clinch promotion on the final day at Northampton.

Remember the home game just before Christmas, played with an orange ball in the snow. Drew 2-2 which was disappointing as we had been flying at Fratton that season.

Other than those two, have very few memories of games against Port Vale other than one up there in mid-winter when for some bizarre reason I was wearing shorts!
Sadly i was just too young to see much of the 4th division promotion team. Probably saw a few matches taken along by family friends but not enough to get any context.
Must have been great for those who had watched Pompey gradually get worse and lower for a couple of decades!
My memory is they used to have Tunstall Assurance as a shirt sponsor
My only memory of Port Vale is as the answer to the quiz question "which is the only football league club not named after a place ? "
Ooh that’s a good one... is that true? now I’m trying to think of another...
QPR and Arsenal

Actually, (Woolwich) Arsenal's more not NOW named after the place they're in. Not sure if QPR were ever in a place called Queens Park, don't think so.
I have very vague memories of going to "The Wembley of the North" back in the early nineties.

The Vale team contained Darren Beckford and Robbie Earle. I thought we got tonked 3-0 but the records show that Whittingham scored twice for us.

The only other recollection is that the pub we drank in prior to the game turned out to be the one that Robbie Williams' mother owned/managed - apparently!
(26-08-2022, 06:52 PM)66zoolane Wrote: [ -> ]QPR and Arsenal

Actually, (Woolwich) Arsenal's more not NOW named after the place they're in. Not sure if QPR were ever in a place called Queens Park, don't think so.

My first thought was Arsenal, too. QPR did start in Queens Park - which is in North London (Kensal Green).

Incidentally if anyone is travelling up tomorrow, be advised that (on Police advice) all the local pubs are home fans only. So if you want a pre-match libation don't wear club colours!
Random fact: for the computer game FIFA 2000, Robbie Williams provided an original theme song with It's Only Us, on the condition that Port Vale were included in the game, which they were, and are in the Rest of World section.
Typing  "Rushton and Diamonds" into a first or second edition satnav, to see where you would end up, was always a mildly entertaining experience back in the day.
(26-08-2022, 07:43 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Random fact: for the computer game FIFA 2000, Robbie Williams provided an original theme song with It's Only Us, on the condition that Port Vale were included in the game, which they were, and are in the Rest of World section.

Only one trip to Vale Park just over 20 years ago. Remember nearest train station was a good half hour walk away. Funny lot, shall we say not very friendly and pubs were home fans only which I believe is still the case now. Stay safe and bring back the 3 points. Vale 1 Pompey 3 Bishop, Dale, Curtis.
I do recall reading about The Wembley of the North as mentioned above, in Simon Inglis' book. And a picture of a massive players' entrance with no stand as they ran out of money.
(26-08-2022, 07:25 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]I have very vague memories of going to "The Wembley of the North" back in the early nineties.

The Vale team contained Darren Beckford and Robbie Earle. I thought we got tonked 3-0 but the records show that Whittingham scored twice for us.

The only other recollection is that the pub we drank in prior to the game turned out to be the one that Robbie Williams' mother owned/managed - apparently!

Mention of Robbie Earle, I can recall how gutted he was when awarded the MBE for his work in the community................... he always wanted to become Robbie Earlobe!!

How about Forest Green?
(26-08-2022, 09:55 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]
(26-08-2022, 07:25 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]I have very vague memories of going to "The Wembley of the North" back in the early nineties.

Mention of Robbie Earle, I can recall how gutted he was when awarded the MBE for his work in the community................... he always wanted to become Robbie Earlobe!!

hoe totally weird.
We do the Telegraph Cryptic crossword every day.
Today the answer to 20 across (I think)  was "earlobe"
Moving North
Hibernian and Queen of the South
I remember them having a midfield player called Robin Van der Laan, who rivalled Wes Hoolahan as the opponent I would most have liked us to sign.
(26-08-2022, 04:30 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]Must have been there 5 or 6 times with Pompey, though many of those are forgotten in the midst of time.

Best memory was in April 1980. Was midweek, Pompey were 2-0 down and hadn't won away in the league since the autumn. We fought back to win 3-2 then went on a great run to clinch promotion on the final day at Northampton.

Remember the home game just before Christmas, played with an orange ball in the snow. Drew 2-2 which was disappointing as we had been flying at Fratton that season.

Other than those two, have very few memories of games against Port Vale other than one up there in mid-winter when for some bizarre reason I was wearing shorts!

Thats brings back some memories. That FP game just before xmas was bitterly cold iirc. Indeed snow on the pitch. Think Steve Bryant scored? Also iirc Dave Gregory scored on his debut for us. Their player manager was Bill Bentley who was very lardy but scored both, again from memory.
(26-08-2022, 09:58 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]

How about Forest Green?

Forest Green, who I was surprised to find were formed in 1889,  is apparently a region within Nailsworth so it is a place.

Rushden & Diamonds don't count cos Rushden is a place.  (but googling Rushton may have caused Jezzer's problems) 

Queens Park was (is?) a place in west London. 

Arsenal apparently never counted, not because of the Woolwich bit, but because the Royal Arsenal in Woolwich after which they were named was a place. 

So I think the old quiz question still stands.
Harrison is a real handful today. Why couldn't he do that for us?