TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Now we will find out how good we really are
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Firstly good win today, good teams find a way of winning, though 1 shot on target v a newly promoted team is slightly concerning but some games will be like that. Pleased for Dane to score, well done.  Excellent travelling support at Vale today, 1700 ish I believe. Pleased for the fans.

The Cowleys have built a good team spirit it seems and deserve credit. They could be legends here if promotion is achieved.

Port Vale didn't really do much all afternoon and it was a fairly comfortable afternoon for Pompey against a below average league one side. Pompey controlled much of the game and if Pompey want promotion, they should be winning away especially against newly promoted teams. Port Vale will have enough to survive this season though, no question.

Top of the league at this stage is a very good effort. 

Our next 6 league games:

Peterborough home
Barnsley away
Burton away
Plymouth home
Bolton home
Ipswich away

If we can maintain a top 6 place after that run in, that would be a good effort. Perhaps stay in touch with the top 2, within 3 or 4 points. The next 2 against relegated sides from the championship. 

I'm still convinced this team is a good league one side, above average, challenging for the playoffs, but not in the ' very good ' league one side category challenging the top 2 come May. I think we will be exposed against the better teams over the course of the season. 

Still, an excellent start.  We will certainly lose our unbeaten start in the next 6 but that's football.

Quietly confident that this team may be able to achieve a playoff position this season.  

Promotion for a club of our size always has to be the ambition but there are other big clubs in this league too so of course it will be tough.

Getting 9 points from the next 6 games would be an excellent effort.

It's good to see the whole club together again pushing in the right direction. 

Play up pompey.
9 pts from 6 ??
(27-08-2022, 05:29 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]9 pts from 6 ??

I would be happy with that given our start. The next 6 are tough.

I think something along the lines of

Posh draw
Barnsley loss
Burton win
Plymouth draw
Bolton win
Ipswich loss

8 or 9 points will keep us in a good position.

22 or 23 points after 12 games would be very good.
Be interesting to see how many we get then
(27-08-2022, 05:37 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]Be interesting to see how many we get then

Yep. How many points would you be happy with from the next 6 games?
(27-08-2022, 05:15 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]Firstly good win today, good teams find a way of winning, though 1 shot on target v a newly promoted team is slightly concerning but some games will be like that. Pleased for Dane to score, well done.  Excellent travelling support at Vale today, 1700 ish I believe. Pleased for the fans.

The Cowleys have built a good team spirit it seems and deserve credit. They could be legends here if promotion is achieved.

Port Vale didn't really do much all afternoon and it was a fairly comfortable afternoon for Pompey against a below average league one side. Pompey controlled much of the game and if Pompey want promotion, they should be winning away especially against newly promoted teams. Port Vale will have enough to survive this season though, no question.

Our next 6 league games:

Peterborough home
Barnsley away
Burton away
Plymouth home
Bolton home
Ipswich away

If we can maintain a top 6 place after that run in, that would be a good effort. Perhaps stay in touch with the top 2, within 3 or 4 points. The next 2 against relegated sides from the championship. 

I'm still convinced this team is a good league one side, above average, challenging for the playoffs, but not in the ' very good ' league one side category challenging the top 2 come May. I think we will be exposed against the better teams over the course of the season. 

Still, an excellent start.  We will certainly lose our unbeaten start in the next 6 but that's football.

Quietly confident that this team may be able to achieve a playoff position this season.  

Promotion for a club of our size always has to be the ambition but there are other big clubs in this league too so of course it will be tough.

Play up pompey.

"I'm still convinced this team is a good league one side"
"quietly confident this team may be able to achieve a playoff position" 

You were forecasting a relegation fight only a few weeks ago. 

Make your mind up.
(27-08-2022, 05:38 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-08-2022, 05:37 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]Be interesting to see how many we get then

2/10, was never convinced, would have been 1 but you praised the team
The team is improving. Morrell and Robertson are now first team fit. Confidence is rising. Goal poacher Pigott is still to be unleashed. We should be optimistic for all the next six games. Still some negative comments about the keeper, though. After six games he should be on top of things.
(27-08-2022, 05:38 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]

Hmm, well now let's see...

1 you have Chelsea next , so that's 0

2 Then Wolves, always show more desire than you, that'll be 0

3 Home to Brentford. They're good. 0

4 Villa, away, Gerrard pushing them...0

5 Home to Everton, they're recovering after last season, you'll lose that

6 Man City, result is academic, but you might match the Bournemouth score. Again.

So adding that up, zero plus zero, zero, zero, zero, and zero...still zero.

Nul points.
(27-08-2022, 05:15 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]Firstly good win today, good teams find a way of winning, though 1 shot on target v a newly promoted team is slightly concerning but some games will be like that. Pleased for Dane to score, well done.  Excellent travelling support at Vale today, 1700 ish I believe. Pleased for the fans.

Our next 6 league games:

Peterborough home
Barnsley away
Burton away
Plymouth home
Bolton home
Ipswich away

Play up pompey.

I thought we were rubbish? The players were all rubbish and the coach staff were fat and useless?

Still predicting a relegation battle?
Peterborough home 3 Points
Barnsley away 1 Point
Burton away 3 Points
Plymouth home 3 Points
Bolton home 3 Points
Ipswich away 1 Point

Lets get this home crowd rocking....

14 Points from the next 6 Games and I will be happy. Win your home games draw away, wins you the league (aim for the stars).... We should be beating Burton away they are on a bad run this season.

Too win the league you need to take points off of your rivals..

But what ever happens, I have a feeling we are in for a special season. PUP
I'm going for 9 points from that set of games. Trying to stay grounded.

That being said, we are perfectly capable of getting 18 points if we play every game to the same level we did against Cambridge & Rovers, AND we put away our chances.
The target should be 12 points. Do that every 6 games in the season and you are up .

We're already ahead of that so 10 would keep is on track.
At some stage we will lose a league game, probably the key is not to lose two on the trot. At home equally true.
Peterborough losing yesterday might not be the best news for us, their strikers do worry me a bit if we get caught in possession or pushing up next week.
But a great start to what feels like a more exciting season than we felt a month or so ago.
(27-08-2022, 05:34 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]
(27-08-2022, 05:29 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]9 pts from 6 ??

I would be happy with that given our start. The next 6 are tough.

I think something along the lines of

Posh draw
Barnsley loss
Burton win
Plymouth draw
Bolton win
Ipswich loss

8 or 9 points will keep us in a good position.

22 or 23 points after 12 games would be very good.
Wrong already.
Good win. Delighted with that. Didn't expect that.

Another mistake in defence for their goal. We look good everywhere but I think our defence will cost us.
(03-09-2022, 04:38 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]Good win. Delighted with that. Didn't expect that.

Another mistake in defence for their goal. We look good everywhere but I think our defence will cost us.

Ogilvie should be back for the next game. I could see Morrison making way for him and having a central back pairing of Robertson and Raggett
Well their strikers catching us in possession was a real problem.
Perhaps a bit of coaching on play the way you're facing for the back four. And stop putting the centre halfs in our box for a goal kick, most odd.
That last line re centre halfs seems to be the modern way Hammie. Drives me nuts. Didn't see the 2nd goal, all the plastics in front of me stood up. I'm told their goalie didn't move and for what its worth the sponsors deservedly gave Scarlett M.O.T.M P.U.P.
(03-09-2022, 05:14 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]That last line re centre halfs seems to be the modern way Hammie.  Drives me nuts.  Didn't see the 2nd goal, all the plastics in front of me stood up. I'm told their goalie didn't move and for what its worth the sponsors deservedly gave Scarlett M.O.T.M  P.U.P.

We were sat in the South Stand, Milton end, right at the end. So had a great view of Scarlett's second.
A while back I posted that I'd not seen a proper diving header goal from a number 9 for years. Well I have now! 
What a signing he is. Just got to remember he is only 18 and don't over play him!
Yes he is, great prospect for Spurs. Talking of headers Curtis should have done better before Scarlett's goal
Lots of good things happening at the moment but defence is a little bit of a concern. They are one paced and getting caught out too often. Not a great fan of Morrison but he put his blunder behind him today and got on with his job so credit there. Peterbro are powerful and we handled them well 2nd half. Barnsley away will be another big test so expecting a win there and then probably lose at Burton!!
6 points so far. 2 of those games called off. I reckon we will beat Plymouth and draw with Ipswich so already 1 point more than BArmy reckons from just 4 of the games.
(14-09-2022, 12:11 PM)Hermann's_no_hermit Wrote: [ -> ]6 points so far. 2 of those games called off. I reckon we will beat Plymouth and draw with Ipswich so already 1 point more than BArmy reckons from just 4 of the games.

You’re getting ahead of yourself there Hermann. What you reckon doesn’t count as points on the board unless it actually comes true
Pages: 1 2