TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Policing at Port Vale
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Haven't seen so many police at an away game for a long time.And what the hell was going on after the game?

The behaviour of the old bill keeping fans in the car park was disgraceful and seemed only to aggravate and incite trouble. It seemed set up to get arrests,which it did, as it was all being filmed from across the road.

A steward told me they do it at every game and he doesn't understand why. I can't believe Port Vale ask for this either.
Absolutely, unbelievable.
Time better spent on more important issues I would say.
It's been a long time since I'd seen so many Old Bill inside the ground too.

More than a tad OTT!
Reading around the internet before the game, the policing had a great more to do with some of Port Vale's followers than ours.
Part of a wider worrying trend in fan behaviour.
Personally I'd rather be kept in for 10-15 minutes than get hit in the head with a flying brick.
Wouldn't have been a flying brick according to Yak
(28-08-2022, 02:40 PM)stayinupforever Wrote: [ -> ]Haven't seen so many police at an away game for a long time.And what the hell was going on after the game?

The behaviour of the old bill keeping fans in the car park was disgraceful and seemed only to aggravate and incite trouble. It seemed set up to get arrests,which it did, as it was all being filmed from across the road.

A steward told me they do it at every game and he doesn't understand why. I can't believe Port Vale ask for this either.

Port Vale must have a few bob if they have to pay for that many plod on a match day ffs.

They seemed to spend most of the game marching round in circles, baffling.

We went up by train and got a bus from the station to a place fairly close to the ground, had a few in the Park Inn which was full of Vale fans, it was all very friendly and not a hint of trouble. After the match we walked into Burslem centre and got a bus to Hanley, then another one to Stoke station. We were going to Sheffield and had a bit of a wait, so went to a Titanic beer place attached to the station. There were a few blokes being denied entry by the doorman and he tried to stop us too but we blogged our way in and the doorman finally relented and let the others in. About 5 minutes later a van full of OB turned up outside and watched us for the whole duration of our short session.

Report a burglary and they might pop round a couple of weeks later but they can spare a van load to watch a bunch of old geezers drinking beer. It’s a mad world.
Report a burglary and they might pop round a couple of weeks later but they can spare a van load to watch a bunch of old geezers drinking beer. It’s a mad world.
Now that is certainly true.
Maybe they looked at a report of the last time Pompey visited and forgot it was 20 years ago or more?
As long as you’re not generalising.
(29-08-2022, 09:16 AM)Santa release Claus Wrote: [ -> ]They probably see football fans up and down the country getting pissed, coked up, behaving anti-socially and starting trouble week after week after week for the last half a century or so and decide to maintain a police presence.

The issue isn't the police, it's the moronic behaviour of football fans who seem unwilling or incapable of behaving like normal people.

You don’t go to matches then?
(29-08-2022, 09:41 AM)Santa release Claus Wrote: [ -> ]I was walking back up towards Hamill Road and a group of pissed up fuckwits from our fair city were shouting abuse at women going about their business who clearly hadn't been to the match and had said or done nothing whatsoever.

No doubt in exgaffer's world this is just a bit of good old working-class banter. Most normal people would recognise the behaviour as feral.

You get pissed up fuckwits everywhere, regardless of whether there is a football match.

The question is, do you need half the Midlands police force to deal with them?

So nobody was attacking anyone then? 

The police are not supposed to be moral guardians, they are supposed to deal with actual crime ffs.

I live in the real world mate, not some non existent utopia where everyone behaves with absolute decorum all the time.

You sound like a bundle of laughs, you must have a very joyous existence.
Blimey, I'm veering towards Gilles' side in an argument. 

I have never understood why moronic anti-social behaviour was somehow regarded as acceptable 'because it's football' as if football was not part of the real world.  I get the its a working class sport and people need the escapism at the weekend, but that has to be within the limits of acceptable behaviour. 

For the last 20 years or so such behaviour has not really been much of an issue at football grounds, but it is worryingly on the increase again at the moment - e.g events at Wembley in the Euro final, the pitch invasions causing assaults on players etc - and I can see it becoming a major problem again for football in the next few years.
(29-08-2022, 10:00 AM)Santa release Claus Wrote: [ -> ]No surprise whatsoever to see you on the side of groups of drunken, loutish, fuckwit blokes shouting abuse at women going about their day.

The cognitive dissonance required to argue there shouldn't be a strong police presence at Pompey games despite violence and anti-social/threatening behaviour being ubiquitous at every single game really is quite something.

You're a proud and unrepentant halfwit.

You’ve never met me so you are not in any position to express surprise or otherwise about who I do or do not support, you sanctimonious simpleton.

I’m not on anybody’s ‘side’, merely expressing an opinion on the size of the police presence.

It sounds like you are living in the 60’s, 70’s or 80’s, when the violence levels were as you describe.

If it is as bad as you say, why do you attend Pompey games ffs?

There is confrontation and scuffling between groups of people who look for a scrap, it was ever thus. I attend lots of games, including the one on Saturday and I almost never encounter any problems. I spent an hour and a half in the presence of Vale fans (there were Pompey fans there too, mixing and drinking happily) and there was no hint of any trouble.

As for the verbal abuse you are describing, it sounds like the perpetrators need a good slap, the police have better things to do. I’d be interested to know if it was a one way tirade of course, having seen some of the locals they didn’t seem like they would meekly wilt under verbal assault. They seemed quite capable of giving as good£ as they got.

I can only assume you move in the wrong circles.
(29-08-2022, 10:39 AM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-08-2022, 10:00 AM)Santa release Claus Wrote: [ -> ]No surprise whatsoever to see you on the side of groups of drunken, loutish, fuckwit blokes shouting abuse at women going about their day.

The cognitive dissonance required to argue there shouldn't be a strong police presence at Pompey games despite violence and anti-social/threatening behaviour being ubiquitous at every single game really is quite something.

You're a proud and unrepentant halfwit.

You’ve never met me so you are not in any position to express surprise or otherwise about who I do or do not support, you sanctimonious simpleton.

I’m not on anybody’s ‘side’, merely expressing an opinion on the size of the police presence.

It sounds like you are living in the 60’s, 70’s or 80’s, when the violence levels were as you describe.

If it is as bad as you say, why do you attend Pompey games ffs?

There is confrontation and scuffling between groups of people who look for a scrap, it was ever thus. I attend lots of games, including the one on Saturday and I almost never encounter any problems. I spent an hour and a half in the presence of Vale fans (there were Pompey fans there too, mixing and drinking happily) and there was no hint of any trouble.

As for the verbal abuse you are describing, it sounds like the perpetrators need a good slap, the police have better things to do. I’d be interested to know if it was a one way tirade of course, having seen some of the locals they didn’t seem like they would meekly wilt under verbal assault. They seemed quite capable of giving as good£ as they got.

I can only assume you move in the wrong circles.

Having been in the occasional company of “ladies” from the Stoke area, “verbal abuse” would appear to be a part of the courtship ritual in that part of the world.
(29-08-2022, 11:23 AM)Santa release Claus Wrote: [ -> ]The irony of you calling anybody (except Deep, perhaps) a simpleton will not be lost on anyone that's seen you gormlessly opine on myriad subjects you clearly haven't got the slightest clue about over the years.

This post pretty much sums you up to a T. Upon hearing groups of loutish men shouting abuse at lone women your response is 'I'd be interested to know if it was a one way tirade', as if there's a credible possibility lone women would be hurling abuse at groups of drunk football fans.

The fact that you're too much of a gimp to join the dots and realise that there's a big police presence precisely *because*, as by your own admission, there is 'confrontation and scuffling between groups of people who look for a scrap' speaks volumes, and is par for the course.

You're in your 60s talking about giving out slaps like Danny Dyer's dad when the reality is you're a timid, middle-class dullard with a fetish for working-class cosplaying.

If the 'right' circles are people getting legless, abusing strangers, instigating trouble with other fans and the police and generally behaving in a way that would see you arrested if attempted anywhere outside the confines of a football match, then I'm more than happy to move in the wrong ones.

You're a pathetic caricature of a man, and it's high time you grew up and started acting your age.

Your gushing sanctimony is vomit inducing, you self righteous cretin.

Again, you don’t know the first thing about me and are in no position to decide what I don’t have the ‘slightest clue’ about. Judging by your total detachment from the real world I would hazard a guess that I know a lot more about most things than you do.

People who abuse women usually get a bit of ‘natural justice’ which is far more effective than the slap on the wrist they would receive from the authorities. On that subject you probably have trouble defining what a woman actually is.

I am from a very working class background, that is a fact, but I don’t believe in class anyway.

I’ll be in my 70’s soon but I’m not dead yet, therefore I have the right to express an opinion.

You seem to encounter all this violence at all the matches you attend, I don’t, that’s what I meant by you moving in the wrong circles.

I’ll carry on enjoying my life for as long as I can, you can carry on wallowing in your self righteous misery, that fine by me  Smile .
Jesus, you are relentless.
"I am from a very working class background"

Surely Smex is the only working-class poster on this board. He never tires of telling us so.

Thankfully, not everyone claiming to be "working-class" becomes a reactionary old bigot in later life. Which is nice!
(29-08-2022, 11:23 AM)Santa release Claus Wrote: [ -> ]The irony of you calling anybody (except Deep, perhaps) a simpleton will not be lost on anyone that's seen you gormlessly opine on myriad subjects you clearly haven't got the slightest clue about over the years.

This post pretty much sums you up to a T. Upon hearing groups of loutish men shouting abuse at lone women your response is 'I'd be interested to know if it was a one way tirade', as if there's a credible possibility lone women would be hurling abuse at groups of drunk football fans.

The fact that you're too much of a gimp to join the dots and realise that there's a big police presence precisely *because*, as by your own admission, there is 'confrontation and scuffling between groups of people who look for a scrap' speaks volumes, and is par for the course.

You're in your 60s talking about giving out slaps like Danny Dyer's dad when the reality is you're a timid, middle-class dullard with a fetish for working-class cosplaying.

If the 'right' circles are people getting legless, abusing strangers, instigating trouble with other fans and the police and generally behaving in a way that would see you arrested if attempted anywhere outside the confines of a football match, then I'm more than happy to move in the wrong ones.

You're a pathetic caricature of a man, and it's high time you grew up and started acting your age.

Nice to see it's not just me who thinks that.
(29-08-2022, 05:11 PM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: [ -> ]

Nice to see it's not just me who thinks that.

Oo you’re so adult and mature  Big Grin Big Grin

I’m cut to the quick that you don’t like me.

You tossers remind me of the Spitting  Image John Major, grey men pushing 
peas round your plates.

All the charisma of a dead halibut and the brains of a roll top desk.
I have Gilles ahead on points.
(29-08-2022, 04:46 PM)BilltheCat Wrote: [ -> ]"I am from a very working class background"

Surely Smex is the only working-class poster on this board. He never tires of telling us so.

Thankfully, not everyone claiming to be "working-class" becomes a reactionary old bigot in later life. Which is nice!

Who asked you, coont. Big Grin
Good on here innit? Sad
We sat with Vale fans. A friend from work invited us up. We stayed in Hanley. We had no trouble but then we were not wearing colours and went to several discreet drinkers before the game.
The police presence was normal apparently. We were deemed a high risk game.
We have certainly had a past but the new breed of police wouldn't know about it.
Whilst they are there to keep us safe it certainly wasn't like going to a rugby match.
Nonetheless it was a great weekend.
The football was actually quite boring by comparison. Pompey never needed to get out of first gear and was settled by a first goal from the youngster Dane. Big future if he keeps working hard.
We will have to play alot better in the next few weeks if we are to get any points though. We managed this game and that's a good sign but performances have to be better to beat the better teams in this league.
I'm hopeful
Football?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Give it a rest, Yak.

Now, where were we………….?
How do the police cope with being there more than two at a time and not in a car? Seems very different to their usual non attendance these days.
(29-08-2022, 09:54 PM)Theyak2 Wrote: [ -> ]We sat with Vale fans. A friend from work invited us up. We stayed in Hanley. We had no trouble but then we were not wearing colours and went to several discreet drinkers before the game.
The police presence was normal apparently. We were deemed a high risk game.
We have certainly had a past but the new breed of police wouldn't know about it.
Whilst they are there to keep us safe it certainly wasn't like going to a rugby match.
Nonetheless  it was a great weekend.
The football was actually quite boring by comparison. Pompey never needed to get out of first gear and was settled by a first goal from the youngster Dane. Big future if he keeps working hard.
We will have to play alot better in the next few weeks if we are to get any points though. We managed this game and that's a good sign but performances have to be better to beat the better teams in this league.
I'm hopeful

A very good post.

I mixed with a lot of Vale fans in one of their popular boozers and everything was very friendly. There were a couple of people in the pub wearing Pompey colours and nobody batted an eyelid.

The widespread violence of the past no longer exists and I think the large police presence was unwarranted.
Pages: 1 2