TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: All Time Top Goal Scorers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

Doing some research into Pompeys all time top goal scorers since 1898 and i was wondering if anyone could provide me with a top 10 list and a source for the info would be great.

Many thanks!
You need to speak to a chap called BlueArmy. Pompey's number 1 fan.
(30-09-2022, 03:28 PM)FootballPrinted Wrote: [ -> ]Hi all,

Doing some research into Pompeys all time top goal scorers since 1898 and i was wondering if anyone could provide me with a top 10 list and a source for the info would be great.

Many thanks!

Doing some research?? You've asked others to do it for you!!!
Maybe he is doing a study into how helpful Portsmouth fans are. There are a lot of these random requests appearing recently.
I tried the link and only got modern players, which did get me wondering as to who our top scorer ever actually is? Peter Harris perhaps? I feel I should really know this but don't
Highest number of League goals scored
in a season 42, Guy Whittingham, Division One, 1992-93
in total 194, Peter Harris, 1946-60

Most League goals scored in one match
5, Alf Strange v Gillingham, Division Three, 27th January 1923

5, Peter Harris v Aston Villa, Division One, 3rd September 1958

Most League appearances 764, Jimmy Dickinson, 1946-65
Most capped player 48, Jimmy Dickinson for England
Youngest League player Clive Green, 16 years 259 days v Wrexham, 21st August 1976
Highest transfer fee received £20,000,000 for Lassana Diarra to Real Madrid, January 2009
Highest transfer fee paid £11,000,000 (reported) for Peter Crouch from Liverpool, July 2008
Whitt's record goals scored season doesn't tell the whole story. Paul Walsh was deservedly the P.O.T.S as he laid most of them on for Whitts
(01-10-2022, 09:06 AM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]Whitt's record goals scored season doesn't tell the whole story. Paul Walsh was deservedly the P.O.T.S as he laid most of them on for Whitts

Actually it does.

It doesn’t matter how many chances are created for a striker if he doesn’t take them all. Guy Whittingham was a natural goal scorer and he created a fair few of those goals out of nothing.

That’s not to say that Walsh wasn’t a fantastic player, he obviously was.
Can we fuck these sorts of threads off now? Lazy bastard can Google for himself
(01-10-2022, 09:06 AM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]Whitt's record goals scored season doesn't tell the whole story. Paul Walsh was deservedly the P.O.T.S as he laid most of them on for Whitts

I've never undertood this theory that because he was not POTS Whittingham's goal record was somehow devalued ? 

Walsh obviously helped him, all players that break goalscoring records need help from elsewhere in the team, but Whittingham scored 47 goals that season, Walsh only got 10.  

Personally, although Walsh was the better footballer and gave great entertainment, I thought not giving POTS to Whittngham for his achievement was wrong at the time.
Corporal Punishment. A great goalscorer and a great guy (sorry).
Is Marquis not on that list?
(01-10-2022, 12:45 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Is Marquis not on that list?

Marquis is higher on the list than you may expect.

Equal with Steve Claridge, and ahead of Crouch, Todorov, Kanu, Defoe, Aloisi, Benjani and Lua Lua.
194 does not seem that high at first view, then thinking about it. 20 goals a season would take about ten seasons playing regularly which few achieve.
As regards Whit, Walshy helped him massively but over his time here he made an awful lot for himself, unbelievable how often his extendo leg got him to touch the ball just as the keeper was about to pick it up.
Marquis 28 goals , Toddy 33 according to Wiki. According to the News Yakubu scored 43.
(01-10-2022, 01:07 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Marquis 28 goals , Toddy 33 according to Wiki. According to the News Yakubu scored 43.

Huh Marquis 38 according to Wiki.

My source was a lazy one, and probably bollocks knowing how bad they are at other things .... 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-ports...erein/1020
Alan Biley 50 & Micky Quinn 54.