TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: News standards
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I often despair at the standards of journalism in the News but Jordan Cross reaches a new low today with his story about  Jayden Reid , headlined "Portsmouth's boss' transfer claim over ex-Man Utd & Arsenal youngster"

To start with the headline does not match the story that contains no transfer claim of any kind (saying he will be like a new signing hardly counts as that) but more importantly he has never played for Arsenal. 

I know they like to include as many clubs as possible in headlines to generate links to things like Newsnow, but you'd think he would know the transfer history of our players - or at least bother to look them up. 

Mike Neasom must be turning in his grave.
I doubt they even have the appropriate journalism qualifications.

The standards today in journalism compared to say 20 or 30 years ago is like night and day.

I read the news everyday and there are so many errors,  grammatical etc.

I don't think they ever proof read what they are publishing.
(06-10-2022, 09:14 PM)BlueArmy Wrote: [ -> ]I doubt they even have the appropriate journalism qualifications.

The standards today in journalism compared to say 20 or 30 years ago is like night and day.

I read the news everyday and there are so many errors,  grammatical etc.

I don't think they ever proof read what they are publishing.

Did he report on the thousands of Pompey supporters in with the Ipswich fans? Just asking loike.
As they can't afford them, The News, like many publications, don't employ Sub Editors, who used to proofread all content, write the headlines, correct spelling mistakes, bad English, confusing content etc., Thats all down to the writers themselves. in the case of headlines its something of an artform and not every writer has mastered the technique.
(07-10-2022, 02:21 PM)Pangus Wrote: [ -> ]As they can't afford them, The News, like many publications, don't employ Sub Editors, who used to proofread all content, write the headlines, correct spelling mistakes, bad English, confusing content etc., Thats all down to the writers themselves. in the case of headlines its something of an artform and not every writer has mastered the technique.

For an organisation as large as the group is, it is mental that they don't have a central editing desk. Even if it's just a couple of snotty interns who know how to press F7 in word. It would vastly improve the readability of most articles. 

The standard is so low that they regularly publish spelling mistakes in the title. The TITLE ffs.
never mind, when they go bust no doubt someone else will provide the same level of coverage, ditto for Radio Solent when the govt bankrupts the Beeb.
As much as I hate to stick up for The News which does seem to employ a lot of hacks who show no genuine interest of or understanding of our club because they've no connection with the area,they do employ sub-editors and their reporters are qualified.
Just goes to show that qualifications are worth nothing if they are not backed up by a bit of graft and charcaters who are willing to go out on a limb to get real news instead of just relying on stuff spoon-fed by the club or Google and served up in blocks of over-written patronising cliches.
The only one keeping that place together is Neil Allen who I respect as a writer and reporter.
(08-10-2022, 10:56 AM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]As much as I hate to stick up for The News which does seem to employ a lot of hacks who show no genuine interest of or understanding of our club because they've no connection with the area,they do employ sub-editors and their reporters are qualified.
Just goes to show that qualifications are worth nothing if they are not backed up by a bit of graft and charcaters who are willing to go out on a limb to get real news instead of just relying on stuff spoon-fed by the club or Google and served up in blocks of over-written patronising cliches.
The only one keeping that place together is Neil Allen who I respect as a writer and reporter.
and we do expect reports within seconds, or they try to before stories break through antisocial media?
Just had another round of redundancies, I heard.
Redandunsies