TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Rutland
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What the fuck has happened to this pub?
?? Has it closed or has it gone downhill?
(08-10-2022, 08:16 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]?? Has it closed or has it gone downhill?

It isn’t great. No ales most or the time, although 6X was on today, slow service and generally gone downhill very quickly. A lot of people are going elsewhere.
They have two jobs:

- Stock Butcombe
- Sell it to me quickly

Some pubs are victims of the times. Others are suicidal.
I use to work in the Rut 20 years ago.. when Barry Kewell from the Northcote owned it. Match days were feckin hectic but great fun.. we had about 6 staff on pumping out the ales, London Pride and Romsey in those days.. always packed.. home and away fans, never any real trouble.. after kick off we listened to the match on the radio as we rebuilt the pub ready for the 5 o'clock after match influx.. happy days! Not sure who owns it now...
Well that’s all very sad to hear.
(08-10-2022, 09:18 PM)pushbike_pete_PFC Wrote: [ -> ]I use to work in the Rut 20 years ago.. when Barry Kewell from the Northcote owned it. Match days were feckin hectic but great fun.. we had about 6 staff on pumping out the ales, London Pride and Romsey in those days.. always packed.. home and away fans, never any real trouble.. after kick off we listened to the match on the radio as we rebuilt the pub ready for the 5 o'clock after match influx.. happy days! Not sure who owns it now...

Happy days indeed. Always a good atmosphere in there. I have to confess that I was usually one of the first to arrive. Usually got a parking spot right outside but getting back on the Eastern road, after, was a challenge. Always a good motivation to stay for a post match pint.
They used to do a fine Chicken Jalfrezi Pastie.
I used to enjoy a pastie at the Connaught but that succumbed years ago.
I really hope the new owners pull it together because it is a grand old pub which carries memories and routines for so many of us. If they are finding it difficult, I hope they draft in some consultants to help guide their hand.

In the meantime, 12 of us have withdrawn our patronage, preferring the Crook before the game and (now) walking on to the NC Hotel