TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Our forebears
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My grandad really got me into Pompey.

He was there for the big gate Derby game. He arrived late, because of work, and never saw the first half because he wasn't very tall and got stuck at the back.

I don't remember him talking about many of the really big games, like Wembley etc. Obviously, he's gone now and I can't quiz him.

Anyone got any second hand tales, of the early day's, that they got from their aging relatives?

I once had a conversation with an old lady of 97. She recounted memories that her grandmother told her. We worked it out that it was direct information of experiences from the 1840's. That pre-dates the start of PFC by some margin.
My old man has never been hugely into football. He went a few times in the 50’s but hadn’t been for years until I Premierised him a few years back, at home to Watford. Finished 1-1, but when we scored he started waving his programme in the air just like they used to in the old days (see Pathe news for this hilarious habit). I really didn’t know what to make of it.
This thread's good timing. By chance I got talking to a woman in the Pompey room at Portsmouth Museum yesterday (free parking round the corner from the ferry, so I'm there a lot) and she said she got into Pompey because her great great uncle was Jack Froggatt. That's a good reason!
But did she come out with any stories that he recounted from that era?
Should've been on the 'I've got something to say about Pompey that doesn't warrant its own thread' ... thread. No, was a forebear though, so I get half a point for missing the point.

Best thing was her other half was gobsmacked when she told me, because she'd never ever mentioned in all their years that her uncle was in the Pompey Championship winning sides and played for England.
(16-10-2022, 11:59 AM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]My old man has never been hugely into football. He went a few times in the 50’s but hadn’t been for years until I Premierised him a few years back, at home to Watford. Finished 1-1, but when we scored he started waving his programme in the air just like they used to in the old days (see Pathe news for this hilarious habit). I really didn’t know what to make of it.

He was probably looking around and thinking: Why aren't all these JCL coonts waiving their programmes? What happened?