TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Griffiths Vs a Traffic Cone
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What would save more?
You on the right board. Apart from an excellent save he’s average at best. Bass is far better
But Bass is at Sunderland.
(17-10-2022, 09:14 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]But Bass is at Sunderland.

Is he? When did that happen?
It's a shame some of you dont get over it g and regularly drag it up. He isn't coming back
(17-10-2022, 09:22 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]It's a shame some of you dont get over it g and regularly drag it up. He isn't coming back

How do you know?
Well I did read today that Cowley wants to loan out our no 2 in January. So I guess anything is possible but somehow I dont think so.
(17-10-2022, 09:34 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]Well I did read today that Cowley doesn't rate our no 2. So I guess anything is possible but somehow I dont think so.

So he might come back?
I wouldn't think so (Cowley was so keen to get him out of the door) but I guess in football you can never say never. On far bigger wages up there for sure so why would he want to come back ? I have found the article re Cowley and our no 2 keeper. What he said was he wants to loan him out in January for him to gain experience. To do that our owners will have to come up with money to pay for another no 2. Who knows who it will be but it won't be Bass for sure as Arry would say
I think this goalkeeper situation is just indicative of policy/(club) politics/financial concerns that affect all clubs, and which are excluded from the cognisance of main stream supporters.

As previously stated, I did rate Alex BASS and strongly believed this was to be his season.

We do not know WHY (really) the club went for Griffiths, or for that matter, let BASS leave?

A primary concern is that Griffiths' current form does not inspire confidence in the back line, and the situation needs to be sorted quickly to return to the performances witnessed during the promising start to our season. PUP
"A primary concern is that Griffiths' current form does not inspire confidence in the back line, and the situation needs to be sorted quickly to return to the performances witnessed during the promising start to our season. PUP"

True.Very true.
(20-10-2022, 09:23 AM)firqdays Wrote: [ -> ]I think this goalkeeper situation is just indicative of policy/(club) politics/financial concerns that affect all clubs, and which are excluded from the cognisance of main stream supporters.

As previously stated, I did rate Alex BASS and strongly believed this was to be his season.

We do not know WHY (really) the club went for Griffiths, or for that matter, let BASS leave?

A primary concern is that Griffiths' current form does not inspire confidence in the back line, and the situation needs to be sorted quickly to return to the  performances witnessed during the promising start to our season. PUP

Bass was sold because he doesn’t play as a sweeper.

I do think we were so spoilt last year with Baz who really shouldn’t have been playing at this level so we shouldn’t expect that quality from our keepers.  Is Griffiths a bad L1 keeper? No I don’t think so, he’s pretty average for this level I would say.
I recall that when Alex Bass was getting the odd game he looked solid and .... sorry Northstander .... should have been nailed on as our No. 1 this season.

But, we have been spoilt and had very very good keepers at the club, but WHY Pompeyg100 should be not aspire to the quality of Baz this season?

I recall a certain Alan Knight when he took over from Peter Mellor - he played through Divs 4, 3 , 2 and was probably, at his peak one of the very best in the country, we must not accept second best. PUP
What was it Jim Smith said about the legend. "If he had at least half a brain he would have got picked for England"
What's the upside for Pompey in this loan?

With Bazunu we were getting a player well in excess of League 1 level.

Can we say the same about Josh?
No I don’t think we can. We’ve lost a local product of our academy and downgraded for an expensive loan.
I don't really get this anti-Griffiths hate campaign. 

No, he's not as good as Bazunu and whether he is better or worse than Bass is actually irrelevant, but I'd say Bass was about level at shot-stopping, but worse at gathering crosses and worse with his feet. And more importantly Bass did not want to be here. 

Just judging him on performances so far I would say Griffiths has not been directly and solely at fault for any goals but has had several when you think maybe he could have done a bit better. But those are more than outnumbered by good saves he has made. A seven out of ten season so far, not brilliant but not deserving of the stick he is getting. 

How he can get more stick than Morrison & Koroma for the first two Charlton goals is beyond me.  I think he is a easy and lazy target for the knockers. And the unfair criticism is counter-productive - he is a young player who needs his confidence boosted not destroyed.
He’s doing ok. I would like to have seen him come for the two crosses that Charlton scored from, punch or catch. He made two excellent saves. His distribution needs improving as Guy said.
(21-10-2022, 04:28 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really get this anti-Griffiths hate campaign. 

No, he's not as good as Bazunu and whether he is better or worse than Bass is actually irrelevant, but I'd say Bass was about level at shot-stopping, but worse at gathering crosses and worse with his feet. And more importantly Bass did not want to be here. 

Just judging him on performances so far I would say Griffiths has not been directly and solely at fault for any goals but has had several when you think maybe he could have done a bit better. But those are more than outnumbered by good saves he has made. A seven out of ten season so far, not brilliant but not deserving of the stick he is getting. 

How he can get more stick than Morrison & Koroma for the first two Charlton goals is beyond me.  I think he is an easy and lazy target for the knockers. And the unfair criticism is counter-productive - he is a young player who needs his confidence boosted not destroyed.

Bass did want to be here ffs, you still can’t get your head round this?!

Christ alive.
Surely Bass left cos he was made a better offer by Sunderland
(21-10-2022, 04:45 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-10-2022, 04:28 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]I don't really get this anti-Griffiths hate campaign. 

How he can get more stick than Morrison & Koroma for the first two Charlton goals is beyond me.  I think he is an easy and lazy target for the knockers. And the unfair criticism is counter-productive - he is a young player who needs his confidence boosted not destroyed.

Christ alive.

He  didn't want to be here enough to fight for his place against a keeper he had every chance of ousting on form  because unlike last season there was not much between the two contenders. I wouldn't go so far as to say he threw the toys out of the pram for not being made first choice because that was not his character, but it did look like he felt he ought to have been and was only prepared to stay if he was.  

The extra money from Sunderland must have been a big draw so who can blame him for going, but he could have stayed - it was his choice to go. I was a bit disappointed in him for making that decision rather than deciding to prove DC wrong. And it looks like lots on here were wishing he hadn't gone too and that is unfairly being used as a stick to beat Griffiths with.
(21-10-2022, 06:47 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-10-2022, 04:45 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Christ alive.

He  didn't want to be here enough to fight for his place against a keeper he had every chance of ousting on form  because unlike last season there was not much between the two contenders. I wouldn't go so far as to say he threw the toys out of the pram for not being made first choice because that was not his character, but it did look like he felt he ought to have been and was only prepared to stay if he was.  

The extra money from Sunderland must have been a big draw so who can blame him for going, but he could have stayed - it was his choice to go. I was a bit disappointed in him for making that decision rather than deciding to prove DC wrong. And it looks like lots on here were wishing he hadn't gone too and that is unfairly being used as a stick to beat Griffiths with.

There was no fight available, he wasn’t going to get played no matter what. He was 4th choice, totally unwanted. He would not of got a game.

Not in cowleys plans.
It's total nonsense to suggest he was 4th choice.

He was second choice, behind Griffiths and a country mile ahead of Steward in Cowley's plans.  Oluwayemi was signed to replace Bass after he decided to go, he was signed only a week before Bass finally decided where to go. 

It's was only in March that Cowley was talking about Bass being in the frame for first choice this season while he was out at Bradford, so why make up stuff like 'he was 4th choice' . DC clearly decided Griffiths fitted his plans better, but Bass was not prepared to stay and try to prove him wrong so DC brought in Oluwayemi. 

The fact that he chose another bench for more money rather than go somewhere like Exeter where he could have played every week and advanced his career IMO says a lot about his poor decision making at the time.
Delighted 3 points and a clean sheet
(22-10-2022, 12:28 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]It's total nonsense to suggest he was 4th choice.

He was second choice, behind Griffiths and a country mile ahead of Steward in Cowley's plans.  Oluwayemi was signed to replace Bass after he decided to go, he was signed only a week before Bass finally decided where to go. 

It's was only in March that Cowley was talking about Bass being in the frame for first choice this season while he was out at Bradford, so why make up stuff like 'he was 4th choice' . DC clearly decided Griffiths fitted his plans better, but Bass was not prepared to stay and try to prove him wrong so DC brought in Oluwayemi. 

The fact that he chose another bench for more money rather than go somewhere like Exeter where he could have played every week and advanced his career IMO says a lot about his poor decision making at the time.

I don’t even read your posts. He was wanted, he wasn’t going to be played ever.
Pages: 1 2