TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Hereford Away
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Looking forward to this one. No doubt it'll be selected as one of the live TV games, but should be a good day out.

Memories of that famous Hereford win against Newcastle - Ronnie Radford screamer on a bog of a pitch. Bound to be featured by whichever broadcaster shows the game.

Recall there being a fair bit of trouble when we went there in the 1970s / 80s. Also, remember the first home match after Jimmy Dickinson RIP passed away was an FA Cup game against Hereford. Think we won 3-1 or 4-1. Some of their gobby yokels mouthed off during the minute's silence, but were well and truly sorted out after the game!
(18-10-2022, 11:23 AM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]Looking forward to this one. No doubt it'll be selected as one of the live TV games, but should be a good day out.

Memories of that famous Hereford win against Newcastle - Ronnie Radford screamer on a bog of a pitch. Bound to be featured by whichever broadcaster shows the game.

Recall there being a fair bit of trouble when we went there in the 1970s / 80s. Also, remember the first home match after Jimmy Dickinson RIP passed away was an FA Cup game against Hereford. Think we won 3-1 or 4-1. Some of their gobby yokels mouthed off during the minute's silence, but were well and truly sorted out after the game!

4.1 Biley and Rafferty both scored 2. Agree it's a cert to be shown on live TV. As for the famous Newcastle replay, the game had been postponed 3 times before eventually taking place with a young John Motson commentating.
I’m sure there will be a few 12 fingered farm hands in attendance. Funny how their support attracts all the local lunk heads whereas FGR up the road is full of meat dodging fairies. Still, they’ll fancy their chances given our current plight.
In a league game, Derek Showers managed to score against us. Pompey did still win 6 - 1, though.
(18-10-2022, 12:32 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]I’m sure there will be a few 12 fingered farm hands in attendance. Funny how their support attracts all the local lunk heads whereas FGR up the road is full of meat dodging fairies. Still, they’ll fancy their chances given our current plight.

'up the road' ??  It'd be quicker for us to drive to Wimbedon than to get from FGR to Hereford. 

And our 'plight' is 5th in the 3rd tier with two games in hand, theirs is 15th in the 6th tier with 15 points from 15 games, lower in the league hierachy than Havant & W'ville.  No reason for them to fancy their chances just because we put on a very poor performance last night.
(18-10-2022, 02:21 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-10-2022, 12:32 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]I’m sure there will be a few 12 fingered farm hands in attendance. Funny how their support attracts all the local lunk heads whereas FGR up the road is full of meat dodging fairies. Still, they’ll fancy their chances given our current plight.

'up the road' ??  It'd be quicker for us to drive to Wimbedon than to get from FGR to Hereford. 

And our 'plight' is 5th in the 3rd tier with two games in hand, theirs is 15th in the 6th tier with 15 points from 15 games, lower in the league hierachy than Havant & W'ville.  No reason for them to fancy their chances just because we put on a very poor performance last night.

Do you get tongue in cheek?

Up the road in football terms rather than literally - similar kind of bumpkin areas.

If you don't think the last few games and line-ups have been a somewhat difficult situation for those concerned then you are more balls Deep in Blue than I thought you were. I doubt even Cowley agrees with you.  It's nothing to do with relative league positions.
Match on the telly Fri 4th Nov as the sun would phrase it expect fireworks!
(18-10-2022, 06:46 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-10-2022, 02:21 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

Do you get tongue in cheek?

Up the road in football terms rather than literally - similar kind of bumpkin areas.

If you don't think the last few games and line-ups have been a somewhat difficult situation for those concerned then you are more balls Deep in Blue than I thought you were. I doubt even Cowley agrees with you.  It's nothing to do with relative league positions.

Up the road in football terms is not a concept I've heard before but I'll bow to your greater knowledge there. 

And of course the last few games have been disappointing, but the place they have have left us can in no way be described as a 'plight' IMO. We are still well placed.
I think there is every chance of a shock.

We could get a result there.  Big Grin