TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Michael Eisner interview
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My son just sent me the 20 minute odd Michael Eisner interview from Radio Solent.

Quite insightful - but nothing unanticipated. For me, he is totally honest, and pragmatic. he is clever, careful and NOT a Cowboy!

He will not try to buy instant success, and realistically he HAS done wonders for PFC - the ground, ROKO etc. He is relaxed about the long term goals but emphasises that all his son's are as one on this and promotion/success WILL arrive Naturally. 

Having said that I believe that QUIETLY  - he would slide meaningful money to Cowley if a goal was within sight. But he does not shout loud about his financial outlay, and that is why he has achieved success in his business life.

Most interesting he spoke about - IF AN OPPORTUNITY arose in the future, to purchase a smaller European club, with the focus on the idea of a providing young talent - a feeder club for Pompey.

AS I have said before you get what it said on the tin, with ME  - exactly what I voted for. 

Many of our football wizards/ part time Premier ship Managers  -  who are obviously in the wrong profession - will have alternative views, and wish to spend 100 million, or so  very quickly but that ain't going to happen !

He is good for me, and if anyone grossly disagrees with his MO then they don't have to travel far to the WEST or EAST to seek alternative football comfort. PUP !
"Having said that I believe that QUIETLY - he would slide meaningful money to Cowley if a goal was within sight"

Two words: Ben Thompson
(29-10-2022, 09:51 AM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]"Having said that I believe that QUIETLY  - he would slide meaningful money to Cowley if a goal was within sight"

wasn't for sale. 

Millwall wanted him back, hence why they recalled him in January.
(29-10-2022, 09:51 AM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]"Having said that I believe that QUIETLY  - he would slide meaningful money to Cowley if a goal was within sight"

If I’m not mistaken a deal for Ben Thompson was done a few seasons ago even the Pompey media team
Was working on the announcement but for one reason or another he wanted to stay and get his place in his boyhood club . I can’t remember where I read that though
Ben who?
(29-10-2022, 09:57 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

wasn't for sale. 

Agreed Neil Harris always said he was never for sale
(29-10-2022, 10:43 AM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-10-2022, 09:57 AM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

wasn't for sale. 

Agreed he was never for sale

Everyone has a price
and its not as if he has set the world alight since, same for almost all of those we let go or did not sign up.
Jack seemed an exception to that but the club would have been criticised if we had paid him to be injured for three years. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
He was available for £2M. That price was on the record.
He wasn’t (isn’t) the Messiah
Still waiting for a player that can turn water into wine but he would have got us promoted. To the OPs point, Michael's actions prove that no, he will not dip in and make exceptions to bolster us when a goal is in sight. We were bloody top
(29-10-2022, 11:32 AM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]He was available for £2M. That price was on the record.

Where was that? In the paper?
I would guess that ME trusts The Cowleys judgement on players far more than he ever did with KJ.

At no time have The Cowleys ever said that they were interested or wanted to sign BT.
Sorry, but for me the interview was anything but reassuring.
Firstly, he has NOT delivered on all his Guildhall speech committments particularly the academy roll-out which has been very poor.  Every time this question has come up, Eisner tells us the problem is now fixed. We're still waiting. Meanwhile, a club the size of Exeter produces prodigious talent season after season.

The other worrying echo is the phrase 'hopefully not in League One' when he was talking about owning the club five to ten years from now. Of course nothing can be guaranteed but if a limp 'hopefully not' is the best language he can muster to talk about this horrifying prospect, I'm not sure he's on the same page as the fans I know and talk to. For they are DESPERATE to escape this league -THIS SEASON. If we fail again, Eisner needs to tell us what he will do. The Cowleys need to know in unabivalent terms that their future tenure at Fratton Park hangs on the outcome of the current campaign. 

Yes, Tornante has invested in the club and delivered on its financial commitment when it purchased the club but that was five years ago. It feels to me as though Eisner is quite happy for the club to idle in the lower leagues indefinitely. The fact is, the money (not borrowed either) IS there to change things on the pitch. It just needs the determination of a ruthless entrepreneur like Milan Mandaric, not the half-hearted best wishes of a grandad to make it happen.
Pure delusion by the looks of it. He’s living in La-La land if he thinks buying some two-bob outfit in Switzerland is gonna be our path to glory. Just focus on the job in hand. Sort out our own up and coming players.
5 to 10 years from now he won't own us, he will be in the ground. If he wants to see us in better company he needs to crack on
I don't believe he a clue how football works in England, or has a clue about football in general. Or just simply has no ambition for the club.
(29-10-2022, 01:51 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, but for me the interview was anything but reassuring.
Firstly, he has NOT delivered on all his Guildhall speech committments particularly the academy roll-out which has been very poor.  Every time this question has come up, Eisner tells us the problem is now fixed. We're still waiting. Meanwhile, a club the size of Exeter produces prodigious talent season after season.

The other worrying echo is the phrase 'hopefully not in League One' when he was talking about owning the club five to ten years from now. Of course nothing can be guaranteed but if a limp 'hopefully not' is the best language he can muster to talk about this horrifying prospect, I'm not sure he's on the same page as the fans I know and talk to. For they are DESPERATE to escape this league -THIS SEASON. If we fail again, Eisner needs to tell us what he will do. The Cowleys need to know in unabivalent terms that their future tenure at Fratton Park hangs on the outcome of the current campaign. 

Yes, Tornante has invested in the club and delivered on its financial commitment when it purchased the club but that was five years ago. It feels to me as though Eisner is quite happy for the club to idle in the lower leagues indefinitely. The fact is, the money (not borrowed either) IS there to change things on the pitch. It just needs the determination of a ruthless entrepreneur like Milan Mandaric, not the half-hearted best wishes of a grandad to make it happen.

Where do these billionaires park their private jets when they come to try and buy the club from the Eisners?

You want him to come out now and say that if we don’t get promoted DC will be sacked? You think that’s likely?
(29-10-2022, 02:58 PM)briefcase_wanchor Wrote: [ -> ]Pure delusion by the looks of it. He’s living in La-La land if he thinks buying some two-bob outfit in Switzerland is gonna be our path to glory. Just focus on the job in hand. Sort out our own up and coming players.

This is the problem, they are all snapped up by the Prem clubs with far more established academies than us.
(29-10-2022, 04:28 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-10-2022, 01:51 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, but for me the interview was anything but reassuring.

Where do these billionaires park their private jets when they come to try and buy the club from the Eisners?

You want him to come out now and say that if we don’t get promoted DC will be sacked? You think that’s likely?

I'm asking for signs that he is a determined as us to get us back to where a club of our standing belongs. He waited too long before sacking Jackett and it sounds like he is in danger of repeating that mistake.
A feeder club? If you’ve got money spare to buy a feeder club spend it on increasing our budget.
(29-10-2022, 04:42 PM)Gerry Hatrick Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-10-2022, 04:28 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm asking for signs that he is a determined as us to get us back to where a club of our standing belongs. He waited too long before sacking Jackett and it sounds like he is in danger of repeating that mistake.

So you want DC sacked now?
(29-10-2022, 04:52 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]A feeder club? If you’ve got money spare to buy a feeder club spend it on increasing our budget.

Not part of the sustainable model though, is it?

Actually, it’s not a bad idea. Forking out for an under 23 team just doesn’t make financial sense but if our younger prospects could play in a competitive league week in, week out… I could see that working.
It’s Eisners money if he wants to buy a feeder club or spend it on us it’s his choice alone. It’s always the easiest thing to do , spend other peoples money. As long as we’re challenging ( eventually getting promoted)and not getting in debt, that’s a bonus.
(30-10-2022, 07:29 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]
(29-10-2022, 04:52 PM)Smirnoffexpress Wrote: [ -> ]A feeder club? If you’ve got money spare to buy a feeder club spend it on increasing our budget.

Not part of the sustainable model though, is it?

Actually, it’s not a bad idea. Forking out for an under 23 team just doesn’t make financial sense but if our younger prospects could play in a competitive league week in, week out… I could see that working.

Ok if you are Chelsea with the cream of the crop as far as youngsters go is concerned. What’s the point of buying a feeder club if you’ve got eff all to feed into it.
Pages: 1 2