TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Another 2 points dropped against another bunch of Minnows
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Absolutely awful performance, professional footballers bottling tackles and totally clueless Midfielders , a player on the Left who can only stand on his left foot, a fcuking manager swinging his arms to rouse the crowd, The Fans deserve better, much fcuking Better.
Looks like Blue Army had it spot on
That's a bit strong for me. The first half we were very good but seem to have developed a habit of giving away a goal when we are completely on top.
Trouble is to break down well organised defences you need to attack in lots of different ways.
First half it was all down to Dale, once Cotterall used his experience to reorganise his team we had little to offer down the other wing. Not sure why that is but if you are going to play wingers you really need a pretty much equal threat from both sides to spread the opposition defence across the pitch and create some space.
Talking mixing it up; the keeper needs to be prepared to give it a boot down the middle from time to time when you have two strikers on the pitch. I don't think he kicked it long once until extra time.
I thought we were very good 1st half but 2nd half oh dear oh dear
The problem was we had our third choice midfield although to be fair I thought Tunnicliffe played well as did Morrell when he came. Raggett can in no way claim to be a footballer possessed with skill, he’s a just a stopper and punt up field player at best. Koroma was very disappointing in nearly everything he did and failed to
link up with Ogilvie.
For their goal we backed off and watched them shoot . That’s 3 goals against us at home in 4 shots on goal.A great equaliser from Swanson . Once Shrewsbury scored the parked the bus and although we dominated ( 82% apparently) we couldn’t break them down and the marked Bishop out the game. Frustrating and we need a plan B , however we are still in the Play offs.
(29-10-2022, 04:58 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]The problem was we had our third choice midfield although to be fair I thought Tunnicliffe played well as did Morrell when he came. Raggett can in no way claim to be a footballer possessed with skill, he’s a just a stopper and punt up field player at best. Koroma was very disappointing in nearly everything he did and failed to
link up with Ogilvie.
For their goal we backed off and watched them shoot . That’s 3 goals against us at home in 4 shots on goal.A great equaliser from Swanson . Once Shrewsbury scored the parked the bus and although we dominated ( 82% apparently) we couldn’t break them down and the marked Bishop out the game. Frustrating and we need a plan B , however we are still in the Play offs.

From where I was sitting in the South Stand, that's the best summing up of today's game that I've read. 
Sort the left wing to offer as much as the right wing and we'll be all right, and i am starting to wonder of Ogilvie might be a part of the attacking problem, not based on anything I've seen him do, just on the fact that we are so ineffective whoever we put in front of him.
The Shrewsbury keeper could have stayed in the changing room for the second half, we huffed and puffed for the whole game completely devoid of any attacking threat.
Still in the playoffs although there are easily 8 teams better than us, stuck in this poxy league for another year at least.
No plan b at all, Cowley's are tactically inept
(29-10-2022, 04:58 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]The problem was we had our third choice midfield although to be fair I thought Tunnicliffe played well as did Morrell when he came. Raggett can in no way claim to be a footballer possessed with skill, he’s a just a stopper and punt up field player at best. Koroma was very disappointing in nearly everything he did and failed to
link up with Ogilvie.

I don’t think he does claim to be a football with skill.
(18-10-2022, 09:07 AM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Bishop’s job is to hold the ball up bring others into play and he’s not very good at it. He loves sitting on his backside whingeing.The idea of dropping your best player so someone else can play in his position is a bit odd I would have thought. For me it’s time for Pigott to get a go and give CB a rest to get his mojo back.

(29-10-2022, 05:39 PM)Roybatty Wrote: [ -> ]No plan b at all, Cowley's are tactically inept

This Plan B shit has become a fan trope now
(29-10-2022, 06:42 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-10-2022, 09:07 AM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Bishop’s job is to hold the ball up bring others into play and he’s not very good at it. He loves sitting on his backside whingeing.The idea of dropping your best player so someone else can play in his position is a bit odd I would have thought. For me it’s time for Pigott to get a go and give CB a rest to get his mojo back.

(29-10-2022, 05:39 PM)Roybatty Wrote: [ -> ]No plan b at all, Cowley's are tactically inept

You need one if you want to get promoted
I've got all three of his studio albums, happy to loan one to Danny if it means he then has one.
(29-10-2022, 07:14 PM)JIMBON Wrote: [ -> ]I've got all three of his studio albums, happy to loan one to Danny if it means he then has one.

If there isn’t a track called “Intensity” then he won’t listen to it.
Never mind Plan B. If he was 'surprised' at Shrewsbury's tactics, where was Plan A? I think everyone in the ground except him knew that was the way Cotterill always plays away.
(29-10-2022, 06:42 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]

Bishops job is to score goals, that’s what he was signed for. DC changed his job when Scarlett came in to the team. Bishop isn’t the one that should be dropped, Scarlett needs time on the bench.
Tunnicliffe put in a decent shift today. Credit to him. Not too much else positive. Perhaps Morrell. Defence giving silly goals away on a regular basis. Koroma showing why he hasn’t hacked it in the Championship and Scarlett needs a rest. Unfortunately Pigott has looked ropey in his brief appearances but it’s tough to have any kind of form when you only play a few mins here and there. Everything we do is pedestrian and predictable.
(29-10-2022, 10:43 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Tunnicliffe put in a decent shift today. Credit to him. Not too much else positive. Perhaps Morrell. Defence giving silly goals away on a regular basis. Koroma showing why he hasn’t hacked it in the Championship and Scarlett needs a rest. Unfortunately Pigott has looked ropey in his brief appearances but it’s tough to have any kind of form when you only play a few mins here and there. Everything we do is pedestrian and t

The problem with tunnicliffe is he creates nothing. Absolutely  zilch.  His only ability seeming to be passing the vall back to raggett. So that leaves mingi who gets blown off the ball with a gust of wind and Morrell who somehow stands a chance of playing in the world Cup. Króna is not a winger as wingers are required to take on players and cross the ball - not watch ogilvie do it all.

We have a top 3 team when all fit but they aren't so we're fecked. The clue that we're scraping the bottom of the talent pool is the return of the aimless passing along the back line. Our strength in depth has been exposed as a lie that the eisners should be aware off in January.

Still way better than last year though.
I’d agree with Tag’s version, apart from Tunnicliffe. I thought he was pretty mediocre tbh. Too many passes that didn’t reach their target and one occasion where he could have turned into acres of space but chose to pass it straight back to Swanson.
Incidentally, I thought Swanson did ok. He alternates between being too lightweight and more than competent. His goal was sublime.
Happily, it was good to see Morrell get some minutes. Not his biggest fan but we suddenly saw a proper midfielder on the pitch. I look forward to seeing the rest of them come back because we are suffering having to watch this.
I wouldn’t care if I never saw Koroma play again. Absolutely clueless yesterday. Curtis isn’t on his game but he is better than that. If an area of the pitch need’s addressing, it’s our left wing. I don’t rate Hume defensively but he does offer a lot of positive qualities going forward.
Contrasting views.. gotta love football sometimes.. Tunnicliffe was MOM for me. I thought he showed the ability to get on the ball and do the simple things with few mistakes but the fact he is someone we are even discussing shows how much trouble we are in at the moment. Morrell showed a bit of drive and class which we are missing. Mingi was unremarkable to say the least. Koroma so poor. As per previous poster, if we are asking Ogilvie to overlap down the left then isn’t that what Hume is for?
(30-10-2022, 10:43 AM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Contrasting views.. gotta love football sometimes.. Tunnicliffe was MOM for me. I thought he showed the ability to get on the ball and do the simple things with few mistakes but the fact he is someone we are even discussing shows how much trouble we are in at the moment. Morrell showed a bit of drive and class which we are missing. Mingi was unremarkable to say the least. Koroma so poor. As per previous poster, if we are asking Ogilvie to overlap down the left then isn’t that what Hume is for?

Too Right but DC won't play 3-5-2 for some unknown reason although both wing backs are fit.
(30-10-2022, 10:43 AM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]Contrasting views.. gotta love football sometimes.. Tunnicliffe was MOM for me. I thought he showed the ability to get on the ball and do the simple things with few mistakes but the fact he is someone we are even discussing shows how much trouble we are in at the moment. Morrell showed a bit of drive and class which we are missing. Mingi was unremarkable to say the least. Koroma so poor. As per previous poster, if we are asking Ogilvie to overlap down the left then isn’t that what Hume is for?

Ogilvie has always been good as a overlapping fullback, and is sound defensively when doing it. 

Hume is better as a wingback in a 352 , not so sound defensively in a 442. 352  must become an option now though if he is deemed fit enough . But is he fit enough to start though ?  Maybe some more minutes in the two cup games this week might make him so.  Don't know if Swanson has ever played as a wing-back, but he looks like he could (and we know Freeman can cos he played there for Sheff Utd). 

It seems a no-brainer to me to play Ogilvie at left back if you are playing 442 with fullbacks that that can attack, and you play Hume at LWB if you are playing 352.

Deebo

Can’t comment on yesterday but from what I’ve seen Tunnicliffe is a big no from me. Too cautious, sucks the energy from the game. Very seldom makes forward runs. Takes a lot more to be an effective midfielder than standing in acres of space and playing sideways and backwards passes.
Was Griffiths asleep for their goal?
I had a suspicion that Ogilvie was
I think being harsh on Tunnicliffe when he was virtually on his own in the middle yesterday is a little unfair.
Actually with only Dale and Tunnicliife doing their job in the middle of the team we are damned lucky that Shrewsbury did not decide to have a proper go for the win as they could have over run us.
Pages: 1 2 3