TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Other teams fans
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Who impressed you…

Geordies at St James Park, in around ´83. Bloody hell, they were loud!

Leeds, at Elland Rd. All sides of the ground, up on their feet singing. 

I suppose fans should be more impressive in their own ground. I don’t really remember being overwhelmed by any visiting fans to Fratton. I remember some good away support but not deafening. Probably the best were Millwall once and Cardiff (the clock game).
Not impressive but remarkable in my memories that in August 1990 our then CEO decided to let West Brom fans have space on the Milton End of the North Terrace plus the ME. It all kicked off on the North Terrace at half time (no surprise) and that was never repeated again.
Celtic were impressive when they got given the Fratton End for a friendly.
(11-11-2022, 12:06 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Celtic were impressive when they got given the Fratton End for a friendly.

There's never much anything impressive about celtic Smile
(11-11-2022, 12:06 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]Celtic were impressive when they got given the Fratton End for a friendly.

I remember that Celtic game. Their fans were animals throughout and I remember Pompey fans being thrown out the ground for wearing England tops or chanting England songs. They won 5-0 and still looked angry!

The following year (I think) we invited Rangers down and you'd think everything would be ok. They like being UK etc. Except they were just as bad as Celtic and were a right pain in the arfe. Proof that the Scots are conflicted bunch....

As for WBA, it's always annoying when you're the bit part in someone else's promotion/staying up season. I remember Fulham coming here and winning to stay up. They filled the milton end for that one. The following year they brought their usual 45 and half.
I always felt West Ham give a good account of themselves at FP.

My most memorable away fans are West Brom away when scum went down
WBA made a lot of noise and brought a lot of balloons many moons ago
(10-11-2022, 09:15 PM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Who impressed you…

Geordies at St James Park, in around ´83. Bloody hell, they were loud!

Leeds, at Elland Rd. All sides of the ground, up on their feet singing. 

I suppose fans should be more impressive in their own ground. I don’t really remember being overwhelmed by any visiting fans to Fratton. I remember some good away support but not deafening. Probably the best were Millwall once and Cardiff (the clock game).

Utd down here 87/88, loudest I've ever heard.
Man City about 1989? Sunny day and I was impressed by the quantity of inflatable bananas.
West Ham had a right party near the end of the season when they were promoted. Newcastle were pretty good from memory but should have been with that Keegan side to follow!
More recently I enjoy Exeter's visits for the fact they take the mick out of themselves and just enjoy themselves regardless.
WBA fans last day of the season 93/94 they needed to win to stay up.. We lost 0-1.

Bong Bong baggy baggy all game.
(20-11-2022, 11:08 AM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]WBA fans last day of the season 93/94 they needed to win to stay up.. We lost 0-1.

Wasn't it boing, boing?
(20-11-2022, 03:23 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]
(20-11-2022, 11:08 AM)essentialmix75 Wrote: [ -> ]WBA fans last day of the season 93/94 they needed to win to stay up.. We lost 0-1.

Wasn't it boing, boing?

Boing Boing Baggies Baggies.... I have just looked.

I was only a kid at the time. I have only just seen its not baggy too.. Lmao

Thanks

Don't you mean the famous game in 2005 when not only did WBA stay up on the last day by beating us, but the stripeys were relegated because of it. Probably the only time in history when both sets of supporters were singing for one team to win. An amazing atmosphere (I was there) and at the end of the game both sets of supporters ran onto the pitch to celebrate together.
It was Crystal Palace that got relegated as a result of our capitulation that day, scummers would have gone down anyway even if we had won.

So although it was a fun afternoon out and a unique atmosphere at a game I'm not sure it was our finest hour really, certainly it still rankles with my Palace supporting mate.
As far as the Scum are concerned there's nothing like making sure they got relegated. belts and braces etc.
(21-11-2022, 12:03 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]As far as the Scum are concerned there's nothing like making sure they got relegated. belts and braces etc.

I still think WBA took us for mugs ... us losing guaranteed their safety so it was no surprise they encouraged the atmosphere . Scummers were playing Man Utd and were very unlikely to win.
(12-11-2022, 12:53 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]West Ham had a right party near the end of the season when they were promoted. 

An evening game as I recall Hammie. They filled the Milton End and Martin Allen played for the Hammers
(21-11-2022, 01:10 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]
(21-11-2022, 12:03 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]As far as the Scum are concerned there's nothing like making sure they got relegated. belts and braces etc.

I still think WBA took us for mugs ... us losing guaranteed their safety so it was no surprise they encouraged the atmosphere . Scummers were playing Man Utd and were very unlikely to win.

Mugs not really, players tried their best Big Grin
About a year later I spoke to Dejan Stefanovic and asked him how much effort the Pompey team put in that afternoon.

He confessed that it was probably around 60% and that WBA needed more than a little assistance to score!
Still remember us all singing "let them score" and going wild when they did, such a weird experience
(11-11-2022, 11:45 AM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]Not impressive but remarkable in my memories that in August 1990 our then CEO decided to let West Brom fans have space on the Milton End of the North Terrace plus the ME. It all kicked off on the North Terrace at half time (no surprise) and that was never repeated again.
  Yeah remember it well . WBA fans came through the tape on the north terrace looking for fisticuffs and the youngsters , woman and Scarfers departed and left me and two others to stand our ground . Thought I was gonna get it when a few Pompey bundled down the terrace to make up the numbers and it fizzled out . Phew ! Whoever thought of that tape ?
I've got to admit that sometimes in the League 2 years I thought we were embarrassed by some of the northern teams away support - 200-300 fanaticals from Mansfield and Bury singing for 90 mins solid spring to mind
(27-11-2022, 08:31 PM)PompeySussex Wrote: [ -> ]I've got to admit that sometimes in the League 2 years I thought we were embarrassed by some of the northern teams away support - 200-300 fanaticals from Mansfield and Bury singing for 90 mins solid spring to mind

I was on a neutral at Wycombe Wanderers, and a packed Adams Park got totally drowned out by 30 Accrington Stanley.