TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: The best visiting player at Fratton
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Thierry Henry was impressive but Gascoigne was head and shoulders above everyone, for me.
Ronaldinho

Deebo

Back in the day when world class superstars were not regularly showing up at Fratton (lol). George Eastman, pre season friendly against Arsenal, Ian Gibson in the Cov promotion side and Peter Knowles, Wolves cup game. Interestingly all inside forwards. That’s showing my age, that is.
Were players of yesteryear really as good? I wasn’t there to see Ronaldhino, or any of the players you mention, Deebo.
I remember Ginola playing for Spurs in a pre-season friendly at Fratton Park, (1992?). One of the best live performances I'd seen at Fratton park.

Remember him getting a Standing ovation from our fans when he was subbed. Incidently I think this was Paul Walsh's debut for Pompey.
(11-11-2022, 08:08 AM)2_Kuhl Wrote: [ -> ]I remember Ginola playing for Spurs in a pre-season friendly at Fratton Park, (1992?). One of the best live performances I'd seen at Fratton park.

Remember him getting a Standing ovation from our fans when he was subbed. Incidently I think this was Paul Walsh's debut for Pompey.

He didn’t join spurs until late 90’s, Walsh had retired by then I think

Deebo

(11-11-2022, 05:10 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Were players of yesteryear really as good? I wasn’t there to see Ronaldhino, or any of the players you mention, Deebo.

Probably not Cunni - they just stood out in a sea of mediocrity. I could have included the legendary Stan Matthews in that list when he played his last game at Fratton, in 1963, nearly 30 years after his first, but he was 48 at the time and by then a faded legend.
Kenny Dalglish in a visiting Celtic team during a friendly in the mid 1970's - first time I saw a really great player at FP.
Agree re Henry and Gazza. Andy Cole for Bristol City stood out when they won at FP 3.2 in 1993. Not long after he signed for Newcastle for a reported fee of £1.75m
(11-11-2022, 08:14 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-11-2022, 08:08 AM)2_Kuhl Wrote: [ -> ]I remember Ginola playing for Spurs in a pre-season friendly at Fratton Park, (1992?). One of the best live performances I'd seen at Fratton park.

Man the drugs were stronger back then.
(11-11-2022, 11:27 AM)2_Kuhl Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-11-2022, 08:14 AM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]

Man the drugs were stronger back then.

Did he play in Walsh’s testimonial? I can’t remember.
I remember Anelka having a great game for Bolton at FP, must have been in the early premiership years.  

And although Thierry Henry was good in that Arsenal game (as they all were) the standout player for me was Freddie Ljungberg.
To add to my post above a young David James keeping a clean sheet 0.0 v Watford at Fp in April 1992 not long before he signed for Liverpool
That Ginola pre-season friendly was 99 if I recall, the year we didn't have a sponsor and then ended up sponsoring ourselves
(11-11-2022, 08:54 AM)Deebo Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-11-2022, 05:10 AM)Cunninglinguist Wrote: [ -> ]Were players of yesteryear really as good? I wasn’t there to see Ronaldhino, or any of the players you mention, Deebo.

Probably not Cunni - they just stood out in a sea of mediocrity. I could have included the legendary Stan Matthews in that list when he played his last game at Fratton, in 1963, nearly 30 years after his first, but he was 48 at the time and by then a faded legend.

Stanley Matthews is always one that sets my imagination off. Obviously a great player but where would he stand amongst the so called superstars of today? Conditions are obviously différent, différent ball, better pitches. Players are probably fitter too.
(11-11-2022, 12:12 PM)Northstander Wrote: [ -> ]To add to my post above a young David James keeping a clean sheet 0.0 v Watford at Fp in April 1992 not long before he signed for Liverpool

Very good call Northstander. I remember that game but only because of James. We were never going to beat him that night. When thinking of Pompey keepers Alan Knight is the first name that springs to mind  but James is the best we've had in my lifetime, just shading Phil Figgins.
Still for me, the late Ian Hesford letting in 5 for Hull and being man of the match, the best Keeper's performance I ever saw, complete with a beer belly.
For various reasons Frank Wothington who was playing for Leicester at the time. Described a "A poor Man's George Best". He was a maverick on & off the pitch & had star quality charisma. It was an evening match & think he scored then rumoured to end up in a Southsea Night Club!
(12-11-2022, 12:56 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]For various reasons Frank Wothington who was playing for Leicester at the time. Described a "A poor Man's George Best". He was a maverick on & off the pitch & had star quality charisma. It was an evening match & think he scored then rumoured to end up in a Southsea Night Club!

.....where he probably also scored
Obviously Henry,Gascoigne but I remember Craig Bellamy (cant remember if he was with N'castle or B'burn) running us ragged at FP. I know he was a nasty little fecker but you'd love him in your team
(11-11-2022, 09:13 AM)The Realist Wrote: [ -> ]Kenny Dalglish in a visiting Celtic team during a friendly in the mid 1970's - first time I saw a really great player at FP.

I'll never forgive that Scots asshole for the niggly cheating way he played against us on that magic League Cup night at Anfield. Was so looking forward to seeing him play and was so disappointed in him
Port Vale's magnificent Robin Van der Laan. Like a highly skilled tank in midfield.
I remember seeing us play Crewe at FP in the Frankie Burrows promotion season. We absolutely battered them though it ended up 1-1. All thanks to an incredible goalkeeping display by some unknown Zimbabwean / South African by the name of Bruce Grobbelaar. Was no surprise that he went on to become Liverpool's number one for quite a few seasons.

Deebo

(12-11-2022, 02:44 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Obviously Henry,Gascoigne but I remember Craig Bellamy  (cant remember if he was with N'castle or B'burn) running us ragged at FP. I know he was a nasty little fecker but you'd love him in your team

Good shout Tag. Pretty sure it was Blackburn and he scored two corkers.
Craig Bellamy was a tremendous little player, and fit as fuck never stopped, like the Duracell bunny.

Remember Chris Waddle looking a class above too.
Pages: 1 2