TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: match officials
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the midst of all the concern about how the game is losing referees due entirely to player, manager and parents' behaviour. 
For the first time for a while, I've been watching a fair bit of NFL.
They have pretty much zero abuse or obvious questioning of the officials.
How do we get back to that?
Red cards
(12-11-2022, 11:24 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Red cards

I thought that, trouble is that it will probably happen for a couple of weeks and only to smaller teams then the managers will whinge until they can go back to coaching their team (and them selves) to constantly get in the face of officials.
Get better officials for a start. Yes players and managers have to share the blame with their angry histrionics, however, having witnessed several awful performances from refs/ assistants this season alone it’s plain to see why. The game has changed in as much that everything that officials get wrong has a cost , either financially as it effects league position, players fines etc and can also cause managers to be sacked. A clamp down on ‘ref hassle’ would undoubtedly help but also the removal/ demotion of sub standard officials would also help. Oh and bin VAR.
(12-11-2022, 01:15 PM)bluetagagain Wrote: [ -> ]Get better officials for a start. Yes players and managers have to share the blame with their angry histrionics, however, having witnessed several awful performances from refs/ assistants this season alone it’s plain to see why. The game has changed in as much that everything that officials get wrong has a cost , either financially as it effects league position, players fines etc and can also cause managers to be sacked. A clamp down on ‘ref hassle’ would undoubtedly help but also the removal/ demotion of sub standard officials would also help. Oh and bin VAR.

maybe we need to look at how many officials the NFL use. Maybe we need four liners to back up the ref. Remove VAR and put a pitch side camera for the in stadium staff to use. That would free up some money at the top level for extra eyes around the pitch? Would also mean when the players try crowding the ref, he gets his own team around him!
If they stop getting abuse you’ll get better officials, who would want to be a ref when you’re in danger or getting attacked?
(12-11-2022, 02:21 PM)Pompeyg100 Wrote: [ -> ]If they stop getting abuse you’ll get better officials, who would want to be a ref when you’re in danger or getting attacked?

How true, I was an official ref back in the 90s after running my boys club for a while.
And the abuse from parents was abysmal, mind you some of it might have been deserved   Rolleyes
I remember once that one of the dads threatened to sort me out after the match in the dressing room, I waited, but needless to say he didn't turn up. 
Which one of you was it?
and in our system the pro refs come from the playing fields and parks.
It would be good if ex pro players were encouraged to try it, but they earn far too much to be bothered.