TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Bret Highest scorer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I see he's doing well playing for AFC Portchester.....
https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/footb...arsely-api
Proper goalscorer, Jackett was a fucking idiot
I wonder if hewas shagging Jacket's wife?
Hes found his level for his age..i dont mean with Jacketts wife
The real question is what was he thinking going down to Portchester's level. I know he is out of shape these days and flopped last year at national league level but I'd have thought he could play at national league south level for someone like Havant or Gosport rather than drop down so far.  Someone of his calibre should be scoring loads at such a low level.
He is
Jacket was a total idiot by Not playing him. I think it was more down to undermining his authority than anything else. Both he Evans told him his tactics were wrong & he didn't like it. BP was sent to train with Cherries Youth Team Evans left out but brought back in. That stubborn stance probably cost us promotion. One of the most natural goalscorers we've had. I've an idea Brett has recently revealed the real problem to the Snooze.
(16-11-2022, 02:42 PM)mikey393 Wrote: [ -> ]Jacket was a total idiot by Not playing him. I think it was more down to undermining his authority than anything else. Both he Evans told him his tactics were wrong & he didn't like it. BP was sent to train with Cherries Youth Team Evans left out but brought back in. That stubborn stance probably cost us promotion. One of the most natural goalscorers we've had. I've an idea Brett has recently revealed the real problem to the Snooze.

By the time Jackett dropped him it was clear to anyone watching that his legs had gone, so from that respect he made the right decision IMO. But he should have kept him on board and part of the squad because he would still have been capable of valuable cameo appearances from the bench because his finishing ability was still there.  

Or was it that the player was not prepared to do that because his ego told him he should still be in the first team ? 

It's a pity that it ended like that between them because Pitman was probably Jackett's best signing, but all good things come to an end.
With his ability to score from open play, pens and free kicks, we needed to find a way to get him in the team.
Sitting at the Solent preseason forum it was clear that Jackett was hacked off as Pitman did the old fashioned thing of coming back for preseason with some weight to work off.
At the same time as losing Chaplin to a busy agent selling him on (made it equally clear that he did not want to sell him) booting his other natural goalscorer out of the squad was a pretty stupid thing to do.
Jackett made no effort to demand and measure the fitness and conditioning of players. That was arguably his greatest shortcoming
(16-11-2022, 01:10 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]The real question is what was he thinking going down to Portchester's level. I know he is out of shape these days and flopped last year at national league level but I'd have thought he could play at national league south level for someone like Havant or Gosport rather than drop down so far.  Someone of his calibre should be scoring loads at such a low level.

There paying him £1.200 a week,that's why
Just a point though, good as he is, he wouldn't be scoring this number of goals without having a really good team behind him.
Or alternatively if the opposition are all shit
all strikers need providers, as we have seen so clearly over the last few weeks

what was it?
"feed the yak and he will score"
applies to all front men down many years
I remember a T-shirt in the club shop that said something like 'I was there the day Brett Pitman sprinted'.  

Hoof ball requires sprinters. Pitman was head and shoulders above the players KJ brought in. As much as anything else, it was the crap style of play, not Pitman, that did for Pitman.
(17-11-2022, 02:03 PM)Tomsk Wrote: [ -> ]Or alternatively if the opposition are all shit

Now that is silly even for you.
Agree 66z. Jackett insisted on playing one up front, which wasn't Brett's game. A good manager looks at his squad and works out what formation suits them. He doesn't choose a system that shuts out his better players. That's almost as stupid as getting rid of good players who fit a 442, replacing them with some supposed to suit 352, and then playing 442.
Almost, but not quite. Progress! Lol
(18-11-2022, 05:59 PM)Kingo Wrote: [ -> ]Agree 66z. Jackett insisted on playing one up front, which wasn't Brett's game. A good manager looks at his squad and works out what formation suits them. He doesn't choose a system that shuts out his better players. That's almost as stupid as getting rid of good players who fit a 442, replacing them with some supposed to suit 352, and then playing 442.

And yet he scored 24 goals in his first season here playing in Jackett's system that 'wasn't his game' .
Well, hang on a minute. In that season we had Hawkins, Main and Chaplin, as well as threatening wingers, and Pitman's legs were a couple of years younger. But I think what you're saying is that if Pitman scored 24 goals in a season, Jackett was a twat to freeze him out to favour non goalscoring donkeys who would run the channels as a lone striker?
(18-11-2022, 09:00 PM)Kingo Wrote: [ -> ]Well, hang on a minute. In that season we had Hawkins, Main and Chaplin, as well as threatening wingers, and Pitman's legs were a couple of years younger. But I think what you're saying is that if Pitman scored 24 goals in a season, Jackett was a twat to freeze him out to favour non goalscoring donkeys who would run the channels as a lone striker?

Spot On!