TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: beer and atmosphere
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
just read an article by an England player pointing out that you don't need beer for atmosphere

Thinking about that...
The best consistent atmosphere I have enjoyed at Fratton Park, were during the years when alcohol sales in the ground were banned. 

Like smokers, if you can't manage without your drug for a couple of hours, you have a problem sir!
I don't think the drinks themselves are the problem - as you say it's not many years since alcohol was banned in stadia here - the complaints against FIFA and the Qataris are that this is a u-turn at the very last minute which makes it look like they waited for the fans to get there before changing the rules that may have made a few not want to go. 

That and the fact that they have not given any reasons for the change of mind, so you wonder if they were planning it this way all along.
John Portsmouth FC Westwood behaved better in those days. In fact he probably saw more than 60% of the game like nowadays.
The reporting on the Qatar stadium beer issue is incorrect and the BBC and others should be ashamed!

At no point were beer sales ever sanctioned inside the stadium - apart from the hospitality areas. What was planned was a section outside the grounds where fans would be allowed to drink. A week ago, Budweiser were informed that the initial plans were too visible so the beer drinking areas were moved to a less prominent part of the approach to each stadium. This policy has changed again to make the entire vicinity of them alcohol-free.
(19-11-2022, 03:53 PM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]just read an article by an England player pointing out that you don't need beer for atmosphere

Thinking about that...
The best consistent atmosphere I have enjoyed at Fratton Park, were during the years when alcohol sales in the ground were banned. 

Like smokers, if you can't manage without your drug for a couple of hours, you have a problem sir!

Bloody hell, I thought I’d stumbled on a prohibition message board.

Drinking beer is enjoyable, the atmosphere is neither diminished nor enhanced by it.

In any case, people who want to get trashed do it outside the ground, not in it. Not least because the offerings at FP are generally sheite and the pub is a better place to drink.

I think we can do without the sermons though, if you don’t like beer don’t drink it ffs.
(19-11-2022, 05:58 PM)Pompey_in_Derby Wrote: [ -> ]The reporting on the Qatar stadium beer issue is incorrect and the BBC and others should be ashamed!

At no point were beer sales ever sanctioned inside the stadium - apart from the hospitality areas. What was planned was a section outside the grounds where fans would be allowed to drink. A week ago, Budweiser were informed that the initial plans were too visible so the beer drinking areas were moved to a less prominent part of the approach to each stadium. This policy has changed again to make the entire vicinity of them alcohol-free.

The BBC reported that alcohol sales at the ground were now to be banned, not in the ground.  Completely factually correct and still a u-turn of shameful proportions by the authorities.

And the biggest hyprocrisy of all is taking £63m from Budweiser and then doing this to them. I hope they take them to court.
Budweiser can't be classified as beer.
actually i don't give a fig about drinking inside the ground, the rising poor behaviour is fueled by pre drinking, very hard to get pished inside the ground.
However smoking and smokers is another thing!

longer term if fan behaviour continues to deteriorate then clubs best plan financially for the alcohol ban to return
Hang on a minute I thought no one on here gave a fuck about the Qatar Cup and weren't paying any attention to anything about it?