TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Reality check.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sorry to disappoint but the Eisners will not be making changes to the hierarchy anytime soon.

If we were struggling near the bottom then things would be different but as it stands promotion is not a priority as it would cost a great deal of spondoolicks, which the family are loath to part with - though God knows they can afford it!

Catlin is a puppet, who is doing very nicely thank you very much, and will not be rocking the boat.

Michael Eisner sees elevation to the Championship as a ten year project and we are only three years in. Naturally I'd like to see the back of Jackett and his team but I just can't see it happening - unless he walks......fat chance!

I fear we have to put up with this dross for a fair while to come - though I wish it were not so.

Sorry!
How I wish I could disagree with you Bill.......but I can’t !

Ah ! the joys of being a rich man’s plaything.
Unfortunately BTC what you say is probably true , we’re stuck with this traffic crash of a management team till the end of the season. Hopefully we can Appleton or Moore and challenge again. I do think Catlin has been great for us but obviously can only be a messenger for the Eisners at this moment.
I’m just trying to get my head round the concept of a ‘reality check’ from BTC ffs  Smile .

Of course BTC is a confidante if the Eisners and knows exactly what they are up to.

I’m sure from now on they will channel all announcements through him  Big Grin .
100% agree with BTC.

Thing is though I think too many people assume Jackett and his lapdog are leaving at the end of the season when their contracts expire.  He's doing exactly what the ownership wants - keeping us safely in L1 and not taking us up to a level that would require Tornante having to spend any more than they need to right now in what is becoming an unsustainable second-tier competition.  While there's no noises from the club about renewing contracts, at the same time there's not a peep from anyone about the two of them walking, either.  Gut feeling is that there will be quiet contract extensions made, especially if we remain in L1 which is looking entirely likely, for a job well done (according to the owners).

Expect more strange play-off team selections in the unlikely event we somehow qualify for one of the places.
(20-02-2021, 10:39 PM)exgaffer Wrote: [ -> ]I’m just trying to get my head round the concept of a ‘reality check’ from BTC ffs  Smile .

Of course BTC is a confidante if the Eisners and knows exactly what they are up to.

I’m sure from now on they will channel all announcements through him  Big Grin .

So what do you say now, exgaffer?

You don't need to be a confidante to appreciate their modus operandi. And I think Rick Pumpkin was spot on:

"Expect more strange......team selections..."
(21-02-2021, 10:17 AM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: [ -> ]100% agree with BTC.

Thing is though I think too many people assume Jackett and his lapdog are leaving at the end of the season when their contracts expire.  He's doing exactly what the ownership wants - keeping us safely in L1 and not taking us up to a level that would require Tornante having to spend any more than they need to right now in what is becoming an unsustainable second-tier competition.  While there's no noises from the club about renewing contracts, at the same time there's not a peep from anyone about the two of them walking, either.  Gut feeling is that there will be quiet contract extensions made, especially if we remain in L1 which is looking entirely likely, for a job well done (according to the owners).

Expect more strange play-off team selections in the unlikely event we somehow qualify for one of the places.

Rick ... do you honestly believe that the Eisners get involved at all in the playing side of the club. The idea that they would instruct Jackett not to get promotion is laughable, and frankly insulting.  Jackett's failures, if you regard successive play-off positions as failures, are entirely of his own making and down to his incompetence/mistakes rather than any deliberate intent. The idea that he would not want a fourth promotion from this league on his CV is also hard to believe.
I’m with Rick on this, Jackett is doubtless very well rewarded for producing mediocrity, for maintaining our League 1 position and no more, for stupefying team selections in the playoffs thus ensuring we don’t find ourselves in the Championship and, all in all, being a good employee, toeing the Tornante line and definitively not rocking the Eisner's boat.
(07-03-2021, 04:49 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

Rick ... do you honestly believe that the Eisners get involved at all in the playing side of the club. The idea that they would instruct Jackett not to get promotion is laughable, and frankly insulting.  Jackett's failures, if you regard successive play-off positions as failures, are entirely of his own making and down to his incompetence/mistakes rather than any deliberate intent. The idea that he would not want a fourth promotion from this league on his CV is also hard to believe.

Deep, I don't know what to believe when it comes to Pompey but those are my thoughts based on what I have seen and read.

Just to point out, I've spent many years working for and running American businesses and what I'm trying to get across is that you won't find more dispassionate people than Americans when it comes to running a business and money.  Everything that has happened at Pompey in the last almost four years is exactly what I thought would happen, and whether we like it or not, if they aren't ready financially or with the club's structure then they won't want to be promoted and when they don't want something then that's exactly what they expect to happen.  There's next to zero income, costs would rise through the roof in the Championship and most wealthy people got (and remain) wealthy by not putting their hands in their pocket for spurious reasons.  The Eisners are no different.

It's not a conspiracy theory but based on what I know to be true in a wider context.  There's nothing wrong at all with an 'eat what we kill' policy, in fact after the two recent financial meltdowns it's what we need, and the fact remains that right now we aren't killing enough to prepare for a Championship feast.

Apart from the Liverpool owners I can't recall successful American football club owners in the UK.  You might argue the Glazers, although most Utd supporters wouldn't, and I think that's because how they run their businesses doesn't really suit the football club model.  But that's just my opinion.

Catlin still needs to grow a pair or go though  Big Grin
(08-03-2021, 10:00 AM)Rick Pumpkin Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-03-2021, 04:49 PM)DeepBlue Wrote: [ -> ]

Deep, I don't know what to believe when it comes to Pompey but those are my thoughts based on what I have seen and read.

Just to point out, I've spent many years working for and running American businesses and what I'm trying to get across is that you won't find more dispassionate people than Americans when it comes to running a business and money.  Everything that has happened at Pompey in the last almost four years is exactly what I thought would happen, and whether we like it or not, if they aren't ready financially or with the club's structure then they won't want to be promoted and when they don't want something then that's exactly what they expect to happen.  There's next to zero income, costs would rise through the roof in the Championship and most wealthy people got (and remain) wealthy by not putting their hands in their pocket for spurious reasons.  The Eisners are no different.

It's not a conspiracy theory but based on what I know to be true in a wider context.  There's nothing wrong at all with an 'eat what we kill' policy, in fact after the two recent financial meltdowns it's what we need, and the fact remains that right now we aren't killing enough to prepare for a Championship feast.

Apart from the Liverpool owners I can't recall successful American football club owners in the UK.  You might argue the Glazers, although most Utd supporters wouldn't, and I think that's because how they run their businesses doesn't really suit the football club model.  But that's just my opinion.

From what you have said, logically, it would have to be the Club infrastructure; which will take a certain amount of time to get up to speed satisfactorily for people with ambition. I've never had to deal with Americans in a business sense, so that is a very interesting perspective. Any thoughts on why the infrastructure wouldn't be good enough for them yet, meaning they would not be ready to take the next step?  After all, having bought the Club, that alone is a type of commitment? Or do you think they are awaiting a type of car crash in the Championship first?

Deebo

Good post Rick. It’s obvious to anyone without their blue-tinted specs on that either the rug is deliberately being pulled on promotion or the manager is an utterly incompetent imbecile if his many incomprehensible decisions over the last few seasons are taken into account. Either way I couldn’t care less but in these difficult times a little decent football for our money shouldn’t be too much to ask. I don't mind losing matches while playing some decent stuff now and again but playing garbage and getting hammered by relegation prospects is not acceptable.
[quote pid="4532" dateline="1615197630"]
[quote pid="4492" dateline="1615135787"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Editing cos looks like my last post was lost ... 

Rick, my experience of american companies is that they want instant success and long term profit. 
In that respect their 'eat what you kill' poilicy is a breath of fresh air, but fans need to realise that that means we will probably never kill enough to be in the top 3 budgets in the league. Top 6 maybe (I believe Catlin said we were 5th at the mom), but expectations need to be more realistic. We should be in the play-offs but have no right to more than that, and thoese who think we have a divine right to promotion are as arrogant as Sunderland fans IMO. 

And the long term profit can only come from promotion to the Championship, where the value of the club proably quadruples overnight if we get promotion, as of course do the costs of surviving. 

But I still don't see them as the type of owners that would interfere on the playing side of things, let alone to interfere by saying 'fail'.
Would be interesting to see how the Eisners managed a very below-par performance from a fixed contract, top brass in one of their other business interests. Can't imagine they would sit on their hands and continue to let the business suffer direct and indirect losses.
I'm thinking we should stop wasting our time, watching, listening and commenting online. If I still had ceefax I would just watch it on there and do something more interesting and less frustrating with my time. Sad but resigned to another long old season in tier 3. The only silver lining is at least the fans can be there when we eventually get promoted.
That's what I do already.
iFollow is rubbish - not paying for that, can't get a radio signal but I can follow the live text online and get some work done at the same time.