TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Ponsey penalties
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Don't you just hate them. They should change the rules so the keeper can come off his line at the first hint of a ponsey hop  skip or shuffle in the penalty taker's run up.
Most of England's fluffed penalties at the Euros last year came from poncey run ups....
What do you mean by poncey, specifically?
(06-12-2022, 12:53 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]What do you mean by poncey, specifically?

Collins English Dictionary says : "If you say that someone is poncey, you mean you do not like them because you think they are too feminine"   Huh .

A question for those of that watch girls/womens football - do they take penalties like that ?
No, they don't
Can we define a masculine penalty?
(06-12-2022, 04:46 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Can we define a masculine penalty?

Stuart Pearce v Spain in Euro 96 ?
Don't ask the Spanish.. they've just missed three. Well done Morocco.
(06-12-2022, 04:46 PM)scumslayer Wrote: [ -> ]Can we define a masculine penalty? 

Running full tilt and blasting it into one of the top corners.
Sounds like a beautiful goal.
(06-12-2022, 06:10 PM)TBP Wrote: [ -> ]

Running full tilt and blasting it into one of the top corners.

Running full tilt with a ponytail, tripping over your back foot and blasting it into one of the top corners of the stand. Beckham v Turkey, 2003.
I thought the rule used to be an unbroken run up matching the limitations on a keeper on his line and not moving until kicked.
Crucial final Brazilian penalty missed- poncey run up.....
In fairness, that one was a lot closer to going in than the standard run-up first fail
What on earth was Kane thinking taking a heterosexual, masculine penalty like that?!
Lol his first pen was an,absolute beaut. I was screaming at the telly to blast the 2nd down the middle.

Perhaps this stat will make us feel better...

The average penalty conversion rate is somewhere around 70% and this drops by about 5% in tournaments. So the odds of scoring both pens are roughly: 65% x 65% = 42%
(10-12-2022, 11:43 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Lol his first pen was an,absolute beaut. I was screaming at the telly to blast the 2nd down the middle.

The average penalty conversion rate is somewhere around 70% and this drops by about 5% in tournaments. So the odds of scoring both pens are roughly: 65% x 65% = 42%

the cardinal sin is to miss the goal completely, show what pressure can do to even the best.
(11-12-2022, 07:50 AM)Hammie Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-12-2022, 11:43 PM)Pedalo_menders Wrote: [ -> ]Lol his first pen was an,absolute beaut. I was screaming at the telly to blast the 2nd down the middle.

the cardinal sin is to miss the goal completely, show what pressure can do to even the best.

The cardinal sin is to rely on penalties and fail to score in open play.

We were toothless and paid the penalty for that.

Southgate should have changed things up way before he did.

France weren’t that good and we should have beaten them, an opportunity missed imo.

Still, at least we have been acclimatised to it by watching Cowley style football.
Disagree, we played well and created lots of chances, far more than the world champions. Could easily have won. Their goal was preceded by a clear foul on Saka and Kane should have had a penalty first half. Fine margins
When you're looking at refereeing decisions and a missed penalty, you know you haven't done enough to win the game convincingly.

It was an evenly matched contest. France took their opportunities from open play, England did not.

France deserve to advance.

Regards Southgate, he got his team choice and tactics spot on this time.
(11-12-2022, 09:19 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Disagree, we played well and created lots of chances, far more than the world champions. Could easily have won. Their goal was preceded by a clear foul on Saka and Kane should have had a penalty first half. Fine margins

Fine margins indeed, and that referee made a big difference, including missing the foul on Saka before the first goal. Give the foul and the goal doesn’t happen, at best he was useless at worst he has had a good holiday paid for.
As for the referee, why did he even have to go to VAR for the foul on Mason Mount? A stonewall penalty if ever there was one.
Im 100% certain if the same happened to Messi or Ronaldo, it would have been given straight away.
(11-12-2022, 10:29 AM)Cleaver Greene Wrote: [ -> ]As for the referee, why did he even have to go to VAR for the foul on Mason Mount?  A stonewall penalty if ever there was one.
Im 100% certain if the same happened to Messi or Ronaldo, it would have been given straight away.

He is a south american referee so used to people making fouls look worse than they are, especially when losing near the end of the game. He probably didn't believe Hernandez could be so stupid.

Begs the question what were FIFA thinking of appointing a South American ref for an all European tie ?
The first half was sterile from England, Saka & Foden couldn't get in to the game. In the second half those two came alive. Yet Southgate then decides to pull them when the Frogs are sh!tting themselves every time they get the ball - in particular Saka.

Ok Mount won the penalty, but those decisions alone cost us the game.

Oh, & in last 10 mins Sterling was awful, didn't know whether to run with the ball, pass it or put in a carp cross !!
I've seen a lot of criticism of the ref, which seems the default setting when losing these days. He gave us two penalties and several free kicks at a distance where the best side score. My main criticism would be for not booking the players who got in his face everytime they did not get their own way. I did like the way he ignored players who fell over at the slightest touch, wish more of our refs did that. I'm not including the fott through the legs of Kane, that should have been a free kick but not a pen.
I also agree with the comment above bout good teams scoring in open play rather than relying on set pieces.
Pages: 1 2