TrueBlueArmy Forums

Full Version: Our players
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Keepers: Griffiths - Grown on me, pulls off some wonderful saves and his distribution has improved 
Ollie - looks a good keeper in the making

Defence: Swanson - started slowly, improved, scored an excellent goal, one for the future as he's only a kid
Hume - can do a job as back-up, good left foot, rather slow
Rafferty - good but been out for a long time now, coincided with our form falling off a cliff
Raggers - gotta be first on the list. I have to believe he was injured not to play yesterday. Morrison in his place? No thanks DC
Robertson - rather hot and cold, terrible attempt at clearance yesterday which eventually led to their second killer goal. Great left foot but not consistent enough
Ogilvie - his form has dipped although still pretty reliable
Morrison - only as back-up. Not good enough I'm afraid
Freeman - actually done quite well in the few recent chances he's had. Back-up only

Midfield: Pack - What's happened to his early season dominance? Perhaps Thompson's injury has hurt him
Thompson - need his strength, come back soon please
Morell - seemed to have World Cup on his mind for first part of season. Could play an important role I feel if he can stay fit
Mingi - revelation, one for the future as he's definitely still learning
Lowery - like Thompson and Rafferty, we really suffered when he got injured
Jacobs - good but injured too often. Can be a useful sub 
Tunni - had been given the cold shoulder till all the injuries. Has done quite well in some games but tends to play the safe sideways or backwards pass, so not likely to create chances

Attack: Curtis - not the player he was, too slow and not much confidence. Put him on the wing and let him do what we know he can (6 goals this season is still more than either Pigott or Scarlett )
Pigott - enigma, capable of excellent goals but largely his loan has been underwhelming. Perhaps we haven't played to his strengths 
Scarlett - young and raw with obvious talent but not doing the business.
Bishop - doesn't convince me. Scored a fair few goals but a lot of pens and doesn't win many headers or hold the ball up that well.
Hackett - had some very good games and some very poor ones. Again, put him in his best position. Got a helluva shot 
Koroma - got an eye for a goal but loses the ball too easily and too often.
Dale - our only real threat lately but why does he always try one trick too many? Needs coaching as he's definitely got talent

So, very disappointing last three months. Got to be down to the manager, trying players in different positions, not having a plan B (or A I hear you say) when things go wrong.  Yes, we've had injuries but this squad is big enough and good enough to challenge for the play-offs, or at least it should be. One problem is that about 5 of these players aren't ours. Another problem is that in the last few years we've been good till Christmas and then gone on dire runs. Heaven help us if that happens again. PUP
(18-12-2022, 10:34 AM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Keepers: Griffiths - Grown on me, pulls off some wonderful saves and his distribution has improved 
Ollie - looks a good keeper in the making

Defence: Swanson - started slowly, improved, scored an excellent goal, one for the future as he's only a kid
Hume - can do a job as back-up, good left foot, rather slow
Rafferty - good but been out for a long time now, coincided with our form falling off a cliff
Raggers - gotta be first on the list. I have to believe he was injured not to play yesterday. Morrison in his place? No thanks DC
Robertson - rather hot and cold, terrible attempt at clearance yesterday which eventually led to their second killer goal. Great left foot but not consistent enough
Ogilvie - his form has dipped although still pretty reliable
Morrison - only as back-up. Not good enough I'm afraid
Freeman - actually done quite well in the few recent chances he's had. Back-up only

Midfield: Pack - What's happened to his early season dominance? Perhaps Thompson's injury has hurt him
Thompson - need his strength, come back soon please
Morell - seemed to have World Cup on his mind for first part of season. Could play an important role I feel if he can stay fit
Mingi - revelation, one for the future as he's definitely still learning
Lowery - like Thompson and Rafferty, we really suffered when he got injured
Jacobs - good but injured too often. Can be a useful sub 
Tunni - had been given the cold shoulder till all the injuries. Has done quite well in some games but tends to play the safe sideways or backwards pass, so not likely to create chances

Attack: Curtis - not the player he was, too slow and not much confidence. Put him on the wing and let him do what we know he can (6 goals this season is still more than either Pigott or Scarlett )
Pigott - enigma, capable of excellent goals but largely his loan has been underwhelming. Perhaps we haven't played to his strengths 
Scarlett - young and raw with obvious talent but not doing the business.
Bishop - doesn't convince me. Scored a fair few goals but a lot of pens and doesn't win many headers or hold the ball up that well.
Hackett - had some very good games and some very poor ones. Again, put him in his best position. Got a helluva shot 
Koroma - got an eye for a goal but loses the ball too easily and too often.
Dale - our only real threat lately but why does he always try one trick too many? Needs coaching as he's definitely got talent

So, very disappointing last three months. Got to be down to the manager, trying players in different positions, not having a plan B (or A I hear you say) when things go wrong.  Yes, we've had injuries but this squad is big enough and good enough to challenge for the play-offs, or at least it should be. One problem is that about 5 of these players aren't ours. Another problem is that in the last few years we've been good till Christmas and then gone on dire runs. Heaven help us if that happens again. PUP

We have a decent squad but the players look disillusioned, they obviously don’t believe in the system they are being asked to employ. You would get better results just by giving them free rein and letting them play.

The current shitshow is obviously down to the manager.

The Cowley regime has had more than enough time to sort this and has failed in abject fashion.

The football is absolutely dire, doesn’t produce results and is not entertaining.

Time for the Cowleys to go elsewhere and bore somebody else with their iPad ‘football’.
Bedwetters of the world unite
Where is Blue Army when we need him
The players are good enough for this division,in fact quite a few are good enough for the championship. Its the style of football that needs to change. It takes us between 6 and 8 passes on average to get the ball just over the half way line,why???? Yesterday Griffiths took a goal kick and kicked it along his 6yd line to a defender ???wtf!.
Either DC changes his tactics sharpish or else get rid of DC. The players are good enough.
DC admitted in post match interview he dropped Raggett 'for tactical reasons' so Robertson could play central to make use of his 'fantastic passing'. result: 2 soft goals and no hint of the fantastic passing. in fact Robertson's efforts for their 2nd goal rank alongside comic capers.
too many good ideas, too many technical ideas.
These players are good enough but the basic set up changing every game has confused them to the point where they have not got a clue.
Square pegs and keep it simple, footballers are not noted for a high IQ.
Stop copying the top teams with world class players.
Get back to basics. Stop shots and crosses in our box.
Get crosses into their box and drop any player who plays on the wing and cuts inside more than he tries to get past the man and get the cross in at pace.
(18-12-2022, 12:38 PM)ForeverPompey Wrote: [ -> ]DC admitted in post match interview he dropped Raggett 'for tactical reasons' so Robertson could play central to make use of his 'fantastic passing'. result: 2 soft goals and no hint of the fantastic passing. in fact Robertson's efforts for their 2nd goal rank alongside comic capers.

If that's the case he deserves to go.

Raggett is by far our best central defender & gives everything.

Our weakness at the back post was highlighted yet again yesterday.

DC is tactically inept & all the performance IT stats in the world aren't going to win us games on their own.

I was only listening to Guy & Andy on iFollow radio but could tell that the formation wasn't working with Karoma playing upfront with Pigott & Bishop. We needed some width lots of crosses into the box. 3-5-2 could have worked with 2 of our recognised forwards up top.
Guy talks a lot of sense
(18-12-2022, 05:46 PM)dsmg Wrote: [ -> ]Guy talks a lot of sense

often pointing out issues before the game and thus before they occur
(18-12-2022, 11:17 AM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]Where is Blue Army when we need him

Well he did score over 100 goals in 300 odd league appearances for lower league clubs.  At 55 I don't think he'll have the same pace as he did in his prime ........
(18-12-2022, 09:05 PM)exterminator Wrote: [ -> ]
(18-12-2022, 11:17 AM)Isaac Hunt Wrote: [ -> ]Where is Blue Army when we need him

Well he did score over 100 goals in 300 odd league appearances for lower league clubs.  At 55 I don't think he'll have the same pace as he did in his prime ........

Sherringham coped
And Kanu
And Pitman